Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The dumb drivers thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 11:21 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
On #2 above the one thing that drives me crazy are people that are going to slow to merge and don't feel the need to get up to speed but then seem to not understand why they have a hard time merging. Whether I am in the lane where someone is merging or I am behind a slow car like that merging on a highway it drives me crazy. When I am behind a car like this I say to myself, this person is going to get me killed.
I was going to say the same but didn't feel like typing it out lol.

Old 02-14-23, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Imo, those things can be done safely, especially not coming to a full stop. It's more efficient to slow down and speed up again if it's safe to do so.
Efficient or not, the law says come to a full stop.

Now, having said that, I'll admit that I don't always come to a complete or full stop myself 100% of the time. Usually I do stop, but, occasionally, I'll slow to about 3-5 MPH and turn right. But I never do it any faster than that.

If you use the cell phone while driving, you have to leave a lot of room ahead. The main issue is following too closely. But yea using phone while driving is not recommended lol even for seasoned drivers.
Cell-phone negligence behind the wheel involves a lot more than just tailgating or following too closely. I've seen vehicles drift into the wrong lanes, run red lights, not slow down for construction areas, etc....all because drivers were too busy screwing around with the device rather than watching the road ahead.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-23 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 11:32 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Imo, those things can be done safely, especially not coming to a full stop. Its more efficient to slow down and speed up again if its safe to do so. If you use the cell phone while driving, you have to leave a lot of room ahead. The main issue is following too closely. But yea using phone while driving is not recommended lol even for seasoned drivers.

Ticketing people for non dangerous actions isn't intelligent imo. You have to discern the severity and safety of the action at that moment in time. For example, why give someone a ticket for speeding if the road is clear miles up ahead and they never caused an accident. Giving them a ticket to prevent something that didnt happen(such as an accident) doesn't make sense. You should be ticketed if you almost caused an accident.
I have to disagree with pretty much everything you're saying here. There are instances where its more efficient to slow down and then speed up when its safe, never coming to a full stop. Those are at yield signs. When you come to a stop sign or red light, you should stop, then proceed when it's safe.

Cell phone usage is never safe because it's not just what's in front of you that you need to be aware of.

Ticketing people for speeding is dumb? They're breaking a law, they should be ticketed for it. Speed limits and traffic lights exist to regulate traffic and minimize collisions, it's not a good idea to ignore either of these things.
Old 02-14-23, 11:40 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Now, having said that, I'll admit that I don't always come to a complete or full stop myself 100% of the time,. .Usually I do stop, but, occasionally, I'll slow to about 3-5 MPH and turn right. But I never do it any faster than that.

Cell-phone negligence behind the wheel involves a lot more than just tailgating or following too closely. I've seen vehicles drift into the wrong lanes, run red lights, not slow down for construction areas, etc....all because drivers were too busy screwing around with the device rather than watching the road ahead.
Originally Posted by sm1ke
I have to disagree with pretty much everything you're saying here. There are instances where its more efficient to slow down and then speed up when its safe, never coming to a full stop. Those are at yield signs. When you come to a stop sign or red light, you should stop, then proceed when it's safe.

Cell phone usage is never safe because it's not just what's in front of you that you need to be aware of.

Ticketing people for speeding is dumb? They're breaking a law, they should be ticketed for it. Speed limits and traffic lights exist to regulate traffic and minimize collisions, it's not a good idea to ignore either of these things.
I fully understand the law. But hear me out for a second. The law isn't always black and white. Law changes under different conditions. Things that are deemed unsafe, can be done safely. For example, fires can be very dangerous, but used properly, its how we have modern amenities. This is the same situation for driving. Speed can be used safely. A car can be used safely.

I believe that once a driver becomes experienced and prestige enough with driving, he/she can do things more efficiently/safely and aren't bounded by the same rules/laws/regulations given for the masses.

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-14-23 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 11:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

I drove like a mad man in my younger years but have mellowed with age.
Soooo... I won't be a pot calling the kettle black, if ya know what I mean. haha

But truth is, I see a lot of bad driving behavior everyday so I just give myself plenty of space. lol
Old 02-14-23, 12:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Law changes under different conditions.
No it doesn't. This is just a rationalization.

II believe that once a driver becomes experienced and prestige enough with driving, he/she can do things more efficiently/safely and aren't bounded by the same rules/laws/regulations given for the masses.
Please. Now you're just blatantly trolling us all.
Old 02-14-23, 12:13 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

I believe that once a driver becomes experienced and prestige enough with driving, he/she can do things more efficiently/safely and aren't bounded by the same rules/laws/regulations given for the masses.
Hoping my driving reaches this level of enlightment some day.
I want to be the Mr. Miagi of driving. haha

Spoiler

Old 02-14-23, 12:24 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
No it doesn't. This is just a rationalization.
Please. Now you're just blatantly trolling us all.
It does change because you'd be prisoned if you killed someone in a home defense situation since killing is against the law.

Im not trolling lol. Its just my opinion(some are facts)

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hoping my driving reaches this level of enlightment some day.
I want to be the Mr. Miagi of driving. haha
Lol I'm not saying im englightened or anything like it. Imo, if you are old and have been driving for a long time, the skill just naturally gets honed. But I also think that the spectrum of people focusing on different things is also there. For example, people can have difficulty remembering street names but others are very good at it.

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-14-23 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 12:50 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It does change because you'd be prisoned if you killed someone in a home defense situation since killing is against the law.
What on earth are you talking about? Self defense is a legally-permitted exception to murder, written right there in the murder statute itself. There's no "experienced driver" exception to speeding in the traffic laws. LOL.
Old 02-14-23, 01:10 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Now, having said that, I'll admit that I don't always come to a complete or full stop myself 100% of the time. Usually I do stop, but, occasionally, I'll slow to about 3-5 MPH and turn right. But I never do it any faster than that.

I work for a large petroleum company and they forbid us to be on the phone in the car for business regardless of hands free or not. They will fire us for doing it. I am not a big on the phone in the car guy anyway, but their policy makes me think and I know they are serious.
Old 02-14-23, 01:23 PM
sm1ke
Racer

I fully understand the law. But hear me out for a second. The law isn't always black and white. Law changes under different conditions. Things that are deemed unsafe, can be done safely. For example, fires can be very dangerous, but used properly, its how we have modern amenities. This is the same situation for driving. Speed can be used safely. A car can be used safely.

This is a load of BS, IMO. I'm fully convinced that you're trolling at this point.
Old 02-14-23, 01:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Following distance and clearing intersections are the two best ways to not get hit, you should never assume they won't run a red since it's so common now. I always slowly roll into intersections unless I'm the only car there or I can confirm everyone else who is supposed to be stopped is stoped.

As density increases speed decreases.....if there is a lot going on you can't go quickly. If it's an own empty road and the only risk is to yourself I don't care how fast you go.
Old 02-14-23, 02:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Here we go. This is maddening. UT is the best hospital in the region so all kinds of people from all over the region go there. Here we have the country folk with rural county plates who don’t know how to drive in a parking garage. As the picture shows, I’m going 4. And you don’t need to basically stop when a car passes you. Very annoying and dumb when you’re descending 5 levels to be going this slow.

Last edited by AJT123; 02-14-23 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
This is a load of BS, IMO. I'm fully convinced that you're trolling at this point.
I think you are correct sir.

If not, I want to get one of these experienced driver exemptions to the laws! Where do I sign up? lol.
Old 02-14-23, 04:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Even creeping at 3-5MPH annoys me because if someone is turning right and I'm turning left to go the same direction I can't always tell if they are going to stop and I have to drive defensive because I can't tell if the person turning right is going to stop and sometimes they don't so I have to jam on the brakes. The reason why they sometimes roll through a right on red is because they are only looking at the traffic that could be coming from the left and not across the street that are turning left. I see this every day coming out of my development.

Quick Reply: The dumb drivers thread