Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The dumb drivers thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23, 08:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They're not, luxury sedans are still the new luxury sedans. Big SUVs, especially BOF SUVs are just nothing like a high end luxury sedan. You may have decided the perceived safety is worth the tradeoff for you, but that doesn't mean there isn't a tradeoff.
I didn't say there was, I clearly agree(d) with you that no BOF SUV on Earth, ever, is gonna cruise at 100mph the way your S-Class does. But you'd probably be pleasantly surprised if you drove an Escalade or Navigator from NY to LA. They do have benefits that you would appreciate, like GM's Supercruise.

I drive 20,000 miles a year including ~5,000 miles of highway trips and these kinds of threats just very rarely happen to me on the road.
People can't drive as well in the south, that's a brooooaaaaad statement but I've found it to be true. At least your average Joe can't like the guy in the Explorer yesterday.
Old 09-12-23, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I didn't say there was, I clearly agree(d) with you that no BOF SUV on Earth, ever, is gonna cruise at 100mph the way your S-Class does. But you'd probably be pleasantly surprised if you drove an Escalade or Navigator from NY to LA. They do have benefits that you would appreciate, like GM's Supercruise.
I've driven them, and I rented that Suburban in FL for a week and spent plenty of time on the highway at 80-85 MPH. Its not that they aren't impressive, they're just not a high end luxury sedan. The question was which car would you rather drive cross country in, and its undoubtedly for me my S Class over ANY SUV unless I need the space and utility the SUV provides. I can get the same kind of technology in a high end luxury sedan too, in fact I have it. Not as sophisticated as Supercruise but its perfectly fine for my use. If you want to just sit back and cruise for hours at 80+ MPH no SUV does that like a high end luxury sedan

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-12-23 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-12-23, 09:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

With your car you just hold onto the wheel to keep the aids engaged, correct? Does it ping-pong at all?
Old 09-12-23, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

With your car you just hold onto the wheel to keep the aids engaged, correct? Does it ping-pong at all?
You can let go for a period of time, just have to give it a little nudge. Nope, keeps the lane dead center. If you come up to a significant curve it needs you to intervene
Old 09-12-23, 09:43 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For I moment there I thought this was my personal thread/space.. my car sits locked, battery dead and thanks to a local shop the manual key does not work.
Old 09-12-23, 09:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pynky01
For I moment there I thought this was my personal thread/space.. my car sits locked, battery dead and thanks to a local shop the manual key does not work.
I'm sure a locksmith could get it open...
Old 09-13-23, 11:24 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes locksmith can open if they show up when they say and don't call.. Another member said get a coat hanger which was a little short ..got a stiffer longer piece of wire .. with help of neighbor and his locksmith very thin rubber inflatable bag slide under window at top corner ..took less than 30 minutes..
Old 09-13-23, 02:38 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pynky01
Yes locksmith can open if they show up when they say and don't call.. Another member said get a coat hanger which was a little short ..got a stiffer longer piece of wire .. with help of neighbor and his locksmith very thin rubber inflatable bag slide under window at top corner ..took less than 30 minutes..
What kind of car? Some cars are wayyy harder than people may think to break into. I watched it take FOREVER once to get a Panther car (old Town Car) open which surprised me. The AAA guy needed good Samaritan help. They finally got it, but it took a while. It's not like the movies lol, at least not every situation is.
Old 09-13-23, 02:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

What kind of car? Some cars are wayyy harder than people may think to break into. I watched it take FOREVER once to get a Panther car (old Town Car) open which surprised me. The AAA guy needed good Samaritan help. They finally got it, but it took a while. It's not like the movies lol, at least not every situation is.
Skill issue to some extent....my guy is insane. Really reinforced to me how pointless locks are
Old 09-13-23, 05:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Skill issue to some extent....my guy is insane. Really reinforced to me how pointless locks are
Well to be fair if it took 30 minutes that's a pretty decent lock.

It's so not how it is in the movies, it's hilarious. It CAN be, but the vast vast majority of the time, no.

From one of my favorite movies 25-30 seconds in, lol... It ain't this ridiculously easy....

Old 09-13-23, 06:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It actually kind of is, took my guy under a minute to get into a Lincoln, Acura, and a few BMWs that were out of power and had broken key cylinders. Genius owners left the keys inside the cars when dropped off....

The hard ones to open are cars that disconnect the inner door handles/don't allow unlock via pull. You have to get creative for those
Old 09-13-23, 06:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It actually kind of is, took my guy under a minute to get into a Lincoln, Acura, and a few BMWs that were out of power and had broken key cylinders. Genius owners left the keys inside the cars when dropped off....
Well doesn't it "not count" then? I think I'm missing something. I just remember being kind of shocked.... a Panther. Town Cars/Panthers were never exactly the forefront of modern tech and that's putting it mildly, yet it took them forever to pop it open.

The hard ones to open are cars that disconnect the inner door handles/don't allow unlock via pull. You have to get creative for those
I would imagine my Mercedes would be a nightmare to try to steal, at least with the hard-top on. I'm sure you're aware but if you just transported yourself inside a locked German car, you'd be stuck unless you could kick the glass out (so as the thief if you break the window, you ain't getting the door open after). I haven't found any other car from any other countries that have done that....

LS430 I bet isn't easy to get into/stolen either. It also has a hell of a key and ignition.

I bet it would be easy to steal LX with the wireless stuff or whatever people can "code".
Old 09-13-23, 06:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well doesn't it "not count" then? I think I'm missing something. I just remember being kind of shocked.... a Panther. Town Cars/Panthers were never exactly the forefront of modern tech and that's putting it mildly, yet it took them forever to pop it open.

I would imagine my Mercedes would be a nightmare to try to steal, at least with the hard-top on. I'm sure you're aware but if you just transported yourself inside a locked German car, you'd be stuck unless you could kick the glass out (so as the thief if you break the window, you ain't getting the door open after). I haven't found any other car from any other countries that have done that....

LS430 I bet isn't easy to get into/stolen either. It also has a hell of a key and ignition.

I bet it would be easy to steal LX with the wireless stuff or whatever people can "code".
The 430 is actually easy due to the pull to unlock front doors, and it has a mechanical shifter. Getting it to start on the other hand....
Old 09-13-23, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What dumb stuff has everybody seen people do lately lol
Old 09-13-23, 07:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

What dumb stuff has everybody seen people do lately lol
Guy at the 4 way stop coming home just turned left without stopping for anyone else. It was just me and him but I did get there first...

I briefly entertained the insurance payout lol!

Quick Reply: The dumb drivers thread