Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The dumb drivers thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 06:04 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘Just watching the video. It’s looks awesome. I’ve heard it is very hard to move on for a German car once you’ve experienced one
Just have to budget maintenance/repairs for them is all. That isn't something I personally was willing to do, which is why I've stuck with Toyota/Lexus large sedans.
Old 02-28-23, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Here's my driving moron for today. Doesn't get much redder than that light:

Old 02-28-23, 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I agree that the driver ran the light, but it looks to me like the driver simply misjudged the yellow-to-red timing of the light. It had only been red a second or so when he or she ran it.

And that's generally what cops (and red-light cameras) look for before issuing a ticket. Was the vehicle actually in the intersection (and still moving) or not when the light went from yellow to red? In this case, yes...but not by much.

As I posted recently in another thread, that is why I have long been in favor of some type of device to let you know how long the light is going to stay green before yellow, and how long the yellow will stay before it turns red. It would greatly help drivers know if they should brake heavily to stop, or simply go through.
Old 02-28-23, 09:13 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the driver ran the light, but it looks to me like the driver simply misjudged the yellow-to-red timing of the light. It had only been red a second or so when he or she ran it.

And that's generally what cops (and red-light cameras) look for before issuing a ticket. Was the vehicle actually in the intersection (and still moving) or not when the light went from yellow to red? In this case, yes...but not by much.

As I posted recently in another thread, that is why I have long been in favor of some type of device to let you know how long the light is going to stay green before yellow, and how long the yellow will stay before it turns red. It would greatly help drivers know if they should brake heavily to stop, or simply go through.
Hey, I thought we wern't allowed to use logic when driving? All laws must be followed to a T, even if it means death!
Old 02-28-23, 09:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Hey, I thought we wern't allowed to use logic when driving? All laws must be followed to a T, even if it means death!

As I see it, implementing the devices I suggested would actually help drivers stay within the law.
Old 02-28-23, 09:32 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, implementing the devices I suggested would actually help drivers stay within the law.
I think the current lights are fine. If anything, they heed efficiency(since people don't run it when the conditions are safe(since its against the "law")). If one has been paying attention to the lights around their neighborhood, they can gauge how the lights behave and drive accordingly. I time all of my lights flawlessly. It's people who don't know how to time it that slows me down lol.

I again have to emphasize good decision making and logical driving over safety devices. Place the responsibility of good driving on the person. Its more economical and safer for everyone on the road.

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-28-23 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-28-23, 10:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

How often does stuff like that happen around where you are? That's not that common here......at least not enough to have that many examples from one car observing!
Old 03-01-23, 05:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
How often does stuff like that happen around where you are? That's not that common here......at least not enough to have that many examples from one car observing!
I don't necessarily see it every day around here (VA/D.C. Suburbs), but often enough to be troubling. Also keep in mind that Steve and I (and a few others here on Car Chat) regularly live and drive in one of the most densely-packed traffic regions in the country...perhaps second only to Southern California. So there are a lot of potential scofflaws here.......particularly under frustrating rush-hour conditions.
Old 03-01-23, 05:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
By me I see it daily and it’s not an exaggeration. The people by me barely care about traffic’s laws and run red lights just because they don’t want to wait another few minutes and even drive on the shoulder to get in front of cars when there is traffic. There is a HOV lane on a major highway on my way in to DC and in the morning in rush hour it is driven mainly by single driven cars.

Old 03-01-23, 05:20 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

https://youtu.be/xjAyOxBmZ9w
I got that one beat. I will try and upload it tonight from my Tesla cam. I almost crushed someone that simply wasn’t paying attention but luckily I was and drive pretty defensively expecting people to do stupid stuff given all the idiots around me.
Old 03-01-23, 06:48 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I’m headed up there to steal your hood emblem (jk obvi). Those just get me. Every second of every drive you get to look at that.
Old 03-01-23, 10:19 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I’m headed up there to steal your hood emblem (jk obvi). Those just get me. Every second of every drive you get to look at that.
Believe or not, that's real in some areas. They even pop your side mirrors or tail light too. Here in the US, I would be more concerned by automatic carwash but I guess S-ers don't go through these grinders.
Old 03-01-23, 10:41 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

‘Just watching the video. It’s looks awesome. I’ve heard it is very hard to move on for a German car once you’ve experienced one
Not gonna lie, I'd save my Mercedes first in a fire and I've only owned it a month. It just pulls on you. I love how a Lexus is (at least mine) an isolation chamber but the Mercedes definitely is not one and it gets your soul stirring when you get into it and drive it.

And we all know how much I love both my Lexus vehicles....like they're my kids. I'm still every bit the crazy Lexus guy I ever was.
Old 03-01-23, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Not gonna lie, I'd save my Mercedes first in a fire and I've only owned it a month. It just pulls on you. I love how a Lexus is (at least mine) an isolation chamber but the Mercedes definitely is not one and it gets your soul stirring when you get into it and drive it.
Your LX570 has a special feeling as well. Very special and unique experience.

Not gonna lie, I'd save my Mercedes first in a fire and I've only owned it a month. Is.
haha. Leave the Hyundai burning....)

(I am only joking everyone)
Spoiler

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-01-23 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Your LX570 has a special feeling as well. Very special and unique experience.
Not to drag my cars into it and go OT (sorry y'all) but they are all very special, both LX and LS feel special. I've been a passenger like once in LX570 until recently, even just riding in it is fun, today was fun riding around as a passenger. However Silver Arrow SL is rare and unique, and it's almost technically a classic Mercedes roadster. And it's so fun to drive, not a sports car but verrrrry capable nevertheless. It has impressive, flat handling and brakes are Mercedes brakes, enough said.

Lol and what's wrong with Hyundai, lol I don't drive one, lol what are you talking about burning one down? Did you just burn something else down perhaps, ahem? Hah.

Quick Reply: The dumb drivers thread