Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2024 Mercedes E Class interior reveal

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Resolution has been fine for awhile now. OLEDs haven't really solved the burn problem even with the latest panels, so we'll have to see how it'll do in a car.
I have an OLED TV and I have done a ton of research on them, burn in is largely solved.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've come to really dislike touch screens in cars. i do NOT find them convenient while driving, AT ALL.
however, i can use voice, and on my LC, the touchpad falls easier to hand than reaching a touch screen, even if it's rather clumsy. the rotary controller i had on the genesis g90 was wonderful.
I have to say, I prefer a control wheel/etc also.

back to the full width hyperscreen though... there's no 'killer app' yet for all that display real estate. that's my issue with it. 99.9% of the time it will still just be gauges and a map and/or audio source (plus climate).
Essentially thats just it, its really not one big screen. Its three screens beneath the same panel of glass.
Old 02-23-23, 11:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
The Tron-like ambient lighting strips on the other hand, I think will age as well as milk. I thought it was cool when I got it on my 2018 5 series, now 6 years later, it seems dated to me.
I love my ambient lighting, but if you don't like it just turn it off.
Old 02-23-23, 12:03 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I could see if the speakers/twitters have ambient light, it would be too much. But if just the dash and door, it's nice. I love it too. And yes, it could be turned off in setting or as simple as "BMW.... ambient light off."
Old 02-23-23, 12:08 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand it, but sort of like louvers and the 80s, I think the lighting strips date the car to a certain time period.

Just preference, I find the way they did the ambient lighting in the LC500 much more timeless.
Old 02-23-23, 12:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Resolution has been fine for awhile now. OLEDs haven't really solved the burn problem even with the latest panels, so we'll have to see how it'll do in a car. Fine if the screen is easily replaceable at a sane price, I guess.

Really not a fan of touch-only AC/seat/whatever controls.
A few months ago we got rid of our LG 65" OLED which had burn in. The picture and color were also degrading pretty bad so rather than spend to have someone come out we changed TV's. It was great when it was new though. I would think the new automotive screens will have all of the latest improvements.

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-23-23 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 12:53 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 750 Likes on 520 Posts

back to the full width hyperscreen though... there's no 'killer app' yet for all that display real estate. that's my issue with it. 99.9% of the time it will still just be gauges and a map and/or audio source (plus climate).
The big gaps between screens bothers me too
Old 02-23-23, 04:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand it, but sort of like louvers and the 80s, I think the lighting strips date the car to a certain time period.

Just preference, I find the way they did the ambient lighting in the LC500 much more timeless.
I don't see how a feature that can be turned off can date a car. Turn it off, the "dating" is gone.
Old 02-23-23, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A few months ago we got rid of our LG 65" OLED which had burn in. The picture and color were also degrading pretty bad so rather than spend to have someone come out we changed TV's. I was great when it was new though. I would think the new automotive screens will have all of the latest improvments.
How old was that OLED? I know lots of people with them and have never heard anybody have that issue.
Old 02-23-23, 05:12 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

There’s always some bad ones somewhere. I think they are fantastic. What is the current type in MB and BMW? I remember you saying about my screen before but can’t remember. Both are excellent IMO.
Old 02-23-23, 05:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

How old was that OLED? I know lots of people with them and have never heard anybody have that issue.
It was just four years old. At one year the panel was replaced under warranty (and the place we bought it was great about handling everything) so three years on the panel that had the burn in and color degradation. I was surprised too. Both my wife and I do miss the warm natural colors of the OLED but decided to go with a Samsung QLED Nano. It's very nice but in some situations it seems almost too bright although we've adjusted. I'd get another OLED when the time comes.
Old 02-23-23, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
There’s always some bad ones somewhere. I think they are fantastic. What is the current type in MB and BMW? I remember you saying about my screen before but can’t remember. Both are excellent IMO.
I'm pretty sure yours are LCD/LED, but MB uses OLED. The new BMW Screens are OLED

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It was just four years old. At one year the panel was replaced under warranty (and the place we bought it was great about handling everything) so three years on the panel that had the burn in and color degradation. I was surprised too. Both my wife and I do miss the warm natural colors of the OLED but decided to go with a Samsung QLED Nano. It's very nice but in some situations it seems almost too bright although we've adjusted. I'd get another OLED when the time comes.
That explains it. 4 years in OLED tech is a long time, and the panels they have been making in the past couple years are much, much better. You wouldn't have that problem with a newer panel.
Old 02-23-23, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Haha I was thinking the same thing. That's a feature not a bug.

I'm not a huge fan of the hyperscreen, but that wide expanse of nothing on the normal screen looks worse to me
same here. not much feeling on hyperscreen but plain background with a screen is that much worse
Old 02-23-23, 10:06 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Haha, maybe we will have to watch 30 second ads to have free heated seats
maybe the next step is... wait for it... advertising.
Oh yeah, ya'll know it's coming.
"Click to skip ad"

Resolution has been fine for awhile now. OLEDs haven't really solved the burn problem even with the latest panels, so we'll have to see how it'll do in a car. Fine if the screen is easily replaceable at a sane price, I guess.
^^^ Dropping the truth bombs.
That's the key, if affordable and easily replaceable, no worries.

Just toss it and get a new one, like a cell phone.
But thinking it's not gonna happen that way and all cars have them now. lol

I like how it looks but think the shiny plastic will begin to show too many fingerprints in no time. The Tron-like ambient lighting strips on the other hand, I think will age as well as milk. I thought it was cool when I got it on my 2018 5 series, now 6 years later, it seems dated to me.
Good one!
But I guess if I'm driving on a $100k MB, I do want to feel like Tron, hell yeah.
At least for a little while.

I'd prob enjoy it until the novelty wore off unless it's done well.
Old 02-24-23, 01:36 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

That explains it. 4 years in OLED tech is a long time, and the panels they have been making in the past couple years are much, much better. You wouldn't have that problem with a newer panel.
Static content still kills it - and guess what the automotive screens will be displaying most of the time, and at a pretty decent brightness level to combat the sun and the reflections from the glossy fingerprint/dust/etc magnet of a touchscreen. TVs are still not immune if you're watching programming during daylight. The improvements have been "refresh" algorithms + recently the QD color layer vs. the RGB filter over WOLED stuff for large format displays (phones & tablets tend to use color OLEDs, usually pentile of sorts). If you're using them mostly for movies or anything like that - they work fine. I'd still rather have a stacked & strobed LCD but those are still pro-only - with a certain consumer exception that got let down by its media engine. MiniLEDs might be to OLEDs what aperture grille CRTs were to shadow mask CRTs - hoping for that.

Anyways, OLEDs still burn.
Old 02-24-23, 05:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
same here. not much feeling on hyperscreen but plain background with a screen is that much worse
Its not a plain area its a woodgrain panel.

Static content still kills it - and guess what the automotive screens will be displaying most of the time, and at a pretty decent brightness level to combat the sun and the reflections from the glossy fingerprint/dust/etc magnet of a touchscreen. TVs are still not immune if you're watching programming during daylight. The improvements have been "refresh" algorithms + recently the QD color layer vs. the RGB filter over WOLED stuff for large format displays (phones & tablets tend to use color OLEDs, usually pentile of sorts). If you're using them mostly for movies or anything like that - they work fine. I'd still rather have a stacked & strobed LCD but those are still pro-only - with a certain consumer exception that got let down by its media engine. MiniLEDs might be to OLEDs what aperture grille CRTs were to shadow mask CRTs - hoping for that.
Anyways, OLEDs still burn.
Then why don't we have burn in on OLED phones and tablets that display a lot of static content? Why havent we heat of massive burn in problems with cars that have already had OLED displays for years? Because we don't...

Quick Reply: New 2024 Mercedes E Class interior reveal