Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New 2024 Mercedes E Class interior reveal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 06:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Essentially thats just it, its really not one big screen. Its three screens beneath the same panel of glass.
And that's exactly why I hate it. There is soooooooooo much bezel! The non-hyperscreen version you posted still has a nice big display, but it's basically edge-to-edge and looks WAY better. No acres of shiny wasted space.
Old 02-24-23, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
And that's exactly why I hate it. There is soooooooooo much bezel! The non-hyperscreen version you posted still has a nice big display, but it's basically edge-to-edge and looks WAY better. No acres of shiny wasted space.
Yeah I don't disagree at all...
Old 02-24-23, 10:51 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

Then why don't we have burn in on OLED phones and tablets that display a lot of static content? Why havent we heat of massive burn in problems with cars that have already had OLED displays for years? Because we don't...
Because we do. Phones definitely do burn-in. Tablets do burn-in - you just don't see a whole lot of tablets with OLEDs since Apple is still using IPS w/ FALD. Desktop displays most definitely do burn-in.

Massive - no, phone screens are not used anywhere near often enough to matter, given how often they're changed. A car display having to fight the summer sun, though? Doesn't matter how good your AR coating on the glass is, you still need light output and a lot of it. Pretty sure that you don't want a screen saver in your vehicle for when you're not looking at the dash.
Old 02-24-23, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Because we do. Phones definitely do burn-in. Tablets do burn-in - you just don't see a whole lot of tablets with OLEDs since Apple is still using IPS w/ FALD. Desktop displays most definitely do burn-in.

Massive - no, phone screens are not used anywhere near often enough to matter, given how often they're changed. A car display having to fight the summer sun, though? Doesn't matter how good your AR coating on the glass is, you still need light output and a lot of it. Pretty sure that you don't want a screen saver in your vehicle for when you're not looking at the dash.
I have literally never heard of anybody having issues with OLED iPhone or Apple Watch burning in, Never. Does it happen? Probably but its not a common issue.

And again we have cars that have OLED displays, and I have never heard of issues.
Old 02-24-23, 11:19 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

Ya'll wanna hear some crazy stuff?
Ok, this is for the techy nerds out there... lol

I was working on a touchscreen for a machine and the display went bad.
So I researched the replacement glass screen and they only made it for 3 years and was obsolete.
Oh boy, so then I traced out the circuit and the driving chips that move the data from the ram thru the displays ribbon cable was obsolete too, a special purpose chip.

Ok so now double screwed, so I pulled the datasheet on the display glass and started digging into it to see if I could reverse engineer a workaround and discovered something I never saw coming.
The display required serial configuration by programming the "registers"(in the glass) before sending image data. Huh? What the hell?

So again I traced out the circuit and hooked up a data analyzer and sure enough the microcontroller was sending serial data straight theu a buffer chip to the display screen before dumping the images into ram to get the pictre going.

Ok, all that to say, screen technologuy is advancing so fast and this 15 year old screen had configurable silicone logic embedded in the glass requiring serial configuration to set the configuration registers in the glass.

This is one step from having the complete microcontroller In The Glass!
So in disbelief, I put it under my soldering microscope and yes I could see the highway of logic circuits at the edge of the glass.

This was a 10-15 year old screen!
Now that's the kinda stuff that impresses me and nerded out enuff for ya'll hope. lol

PS- I guess that's why I'm more impressed with the screen itself than what is on the screen. I like the MB posted above that just has the one screen, less distraction IMO but just a personal preference.

Last edited by Margate330; 02-24-23 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 11:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have literally never heard of anybody having issues with OLED iPhone or Apple Watch burning in, Never. Does it happen? Probably but its not a common issue.

And again we have cars that have OLED displays, and I have never heard of issues.
this would be all over on-line forums if it was an iPhone issue or a car issue
Old 02-24-23, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
this would be all over on-line forums if it was an iPhone issue or a car issue
It would be absolutely everywhere, people would be writing all kinds of tech articles about it, etc.
Old 02-24-23, 01:50 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

Are we living in an alternate reality? "Heavy" users definitely are reporting it. Just google "apple watch burn in" / "iPhone burn in" / whatever.
Old 02-24-23, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Are we living in an alternate reality? "Heavy" users definitely are reporting it. Just google "apple watch burn in" / "iPhone burn in" / whatever.
I have never heard of such a thing, I am an extremely heavy iPhone user too, I always have my brightness turned all the way up and have never had any issues or heard of anybody else having issues. I think you just follow the tech world closer than I do. I'm sure there ARE issues, but they are not common and don't come up amongst people who aren't tech people. The average iPhone user spends 40 hours a week on their phones, if we don't have common burn in with 40 hour a week usage, then its not a common issue. I bet the average vehicle display doesn't operate for 40 hours a week.
Old 02-24-23, 03:31 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,213 Likes on 900 Posts

Yep. It's very noticible when you replace a screen how much performance has degraded, running screens lower brightness helps but any screen will still degrade. My personal stuff is IPS
Old 02-24-23, 04:06 PM
Lead Lap

Received 781 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Yes, so much bezel, might as well be standing in front of a wall.
Old 02-24-23, 04:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
It's got a sort of tacked on elegance for this iteration of Mercedes luxury midsizer, on the non-hyperscreen model. I don't mind it. In the same breath the hyperscreen is pretty cool too
It's so strange how the center console is a different design for both versions. Get the non-hyperscreen, and you get a disgusting giant hunk of gloss black plastic right over where your hands go. Get the massive bezelled hyperscreen, and you get the normal center console with nice wood trim.

Functionally, this is just three screens across the dash, with the hyperscreen providing nothing more than an extra screen for the passenger. Feels like such a weird waste of money designing all of that for something so minor.

Personally I'm more interested in what's under the hood, especially the fate of the six cylinder following the C-Class.
Old 02-24-23, 07:01 PM
Lead Lap

Received 781 Likes on 530 Posts

Mercedes hyper screen:

Old 02-24-23, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I have never heard of such a thing, I am an extremely heavy iPhone user too, I always have my brightness turned all the way up and have never had any issues or heard of anybody else having issues. I think you just follow the tech world closer than I do. I'm sure there ARE issues, but they are not common and don't come up amongst people who aren't tech people. The average iPhone user spends 40 hours a week on their phones, if we don't have common burn in with 40 hour a week usage, then its not a common issue. I bet the average vehicle display doesn't operate for 40 hours a week.
lwerewolf was talking about the watch not the iphone. obviously the content on an iphone screen changes a LOT more often than an aople watch screen if left 'on' all the time.

i have a samsung watch and i don't have the display on (unless i touch it or press a button). besides screen preservation it saves hugely on battery life too.
Old 02-24-23, 08:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Mercedes hyper screen:

Lol. That is funny

Quick Reply: New 2024 Mercedes E Class interior reveal