Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WTFFFF is wrong with this BMW??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 10:39 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

Bad injectors also cause bad mixing and elevated burn temps. The pistons won't like it and very likely won't survive it long-term. They're best treated right away. Pretty easy to monitor anyways.

The 335d uses piezo injectors, there are good reasons why just about everybody is sticking with solenoids nowadays. The regular m57 is pretty decent - for a common rail turbodiesel. Injectors, glow plugs, turbo, high pressure fuel pump (rare on these), DPF if it's burning oil and/or is using non low-SAPS oil, occasional cleaning of airways, you'd better not use it for short trips.

Re: "emissions crap" - I wonder what your PoV would be if you lived in a place where every other car is like that.
Old 02-24-23, 11:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Re: "emissions crap" - I wonder what your PoV would be if you lived in a place where every other car is like that.
I'm quite in favor of reducing emissions, but the way solutions are blanket mandated with seemingly no cost/benefit analysis done by anyone is what's problematic. You'll notice I only removed EGR from my car. It does not stink, smoke, or soot, regardless of operating conditions. EGR is a technology that does not belong in a any diesel, full stop. It very slightly reduces emissions in the first minute or two after cold start by raising cylinder temperature more quickly, at a cost of reduced fuel economy all the time (which increases emissions per mile), as well as lots of carbon deposits that cause operating problems, even worse fuel economy (more emissions), and a need for expensive engine repairs (carbon cleanup). The real world net result of putting EGR on a diesel is significantly more emissions and soot put out into the atmosphere, not less. Specific to the M57's design, it also introduces a failure point where the EGR cooler can crack and leak coolant into the intake, destroying the engine.

Since my DPF and SCR are still intact, all of that soot that EGR would have injected back into the intake manifold is scrubbed out just like the rest of the exhaust. I would feel no different if everyone else in the world did what I have done. The air would be just that tiny bit cleaner.

Last edited by geko29; 02-24-23 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 11:34 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

The latest diesels use both pre-cat & post-dpf egr + a lean nox trap to take care of cold start NOx emissions - it is simply complicated on diesels. I'm pretty sure that no modern car is using EGR when the SCR system is ready - other than potentially for in-cylinder temperature control, for which the post-DPF EGR does quite fine (minimal soot - I just saw a post-DPF EGR manifold on an 8v A3 2.0tdi, it wasn't pristine but it was absolutely nothing like a diesel). Not sure if Mazda is still making their low compression stuff, might be significantly better as it was achieving sane NOx values without SCR (other than on autobahn conditions, but it's still pretty cool for a diesel).

Soot by itself is pretty easily handled with a particulate filter - again, assuming that the car is driven properly (a.k.a. no short trip city diesel BS).
Old 02-24-23, 11:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure that no modern car is using EGR when the SCR system is ready
Mine is no longer "modern", but its design only closes the EGR valve at WOT. It's continuously open otherwise.
Old 02-24-23, 01:51 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Why would it be doing that if it has an SCR system? Makes pretty much no sense on a diesel.
Old 02-24-23, 02:04 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Why would it be doing that if it has an SCR system? Makes pretty much no sense on a diesel.
On this we agree. Now you understand why I removed it.
Old 02-24-23, 02:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Considering this engine doesn't even have VANOS, that's highly unlikely to be the cause.

The M57 should sound like a tractor (mine has since new), but it shouldn't smoke. A rattling noise is most likely to be a loose heat shield. If there were a recording, I might be able to provide some insight. But I think OP bought his phone before video was invented.
He didn't mention it was a diesel before I posted that, knowing it is one changes what it probably is. However there are so many things that can be wrong with one of those it's harder to say since it's not as predictable
Old 02-24-23, 02:25 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Striker223
He didn't mention it was a diesel before I posted that, knowing it is one changes what it probably is. However there are so many things that can be wrong with one of those it's harder to say since it's not as predictable
I get it, was not meant to be a dig.
Old 02-24-23, 04:17 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

It’s not the phone. He doesn’t need a new phone. He needs to wash his car and/or read the phone manual to take pictures. 😬 I was still on 7+ for a long time until 13 was released. I would probably still use it if I don’t need to use the phone key feature. Sorry couldn’t contribute on the car issue. It looks fine as any other old bmw.
Old 02-24-23, 04:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Hilarious, even in my virtual life, our community I get made fun of for this same thing. Everyone else in person does it too.
Old 02-24-23, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

It was obvious to me the OP mentioned a diesel
Old 02-25-23, 07:16 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

So is that engine about to blow or what? Sure seemed like it.
Old 02-25-23, 03:51 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Hilarious, even in my virtual life, our community I get made fun of for this same thing. Everyone else in person does it too.
what phone is it btw? i still get crap for my iphone SE so you're not the only one here lol... mine is jailbroken and i've highly customized it to my liking so i don't wanna lose all that (or my headphone jack and home button)

my iphone 5S camera before that though got screwed up when a bit of water found its way into the lens and made every pic look smudged
Old 02-26-23, 05:00 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

So much for "clean diesels!" I'd like to see them banned in anything other than heavy duty applications. Too many, like this one, go foul.
Old 02-26-23, 05:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
what phone is it btw? i still get crap for my iphone SE so you're not the only one here lol... mine is jailbroken and i've highly customized it to my liking so i don't wanna lose all that (or my headphone jack and home button)

my iphone 5S camera before that though got screwed up when a bit of water found its way into the lens and made every pic look smudged
I think it's an 11 but it's janky. As you can see it doesn't take clear pics. But then I'm hard on everything.

Quick Reply: WTFFFF is wrong with this BMW??