Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Bought my first house...need some input

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 08:18 PM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought my first house...need some input

Well guys...I closed on my house Friday. Special thanks to my realtor 2Lexos (alex) for being patient with me over the last year. Things are going to be a tad busy for me in the upcoming months. I start in Kellstadt's (Depaul) Graduate Business school in a week to attain my MBA part-time along with being on the board of a new mentoring program called Metropolitan Mentors through my involvement in Big Brothers Big Sisters. Along with two softballs teams and my ice hockey team... Little bit of stress but I think I'll manage.... May have to drop some of the sports

Anyways onto some questions I have for you homeowners:

I want to get wireless internet installed in the new place along with some type of cable service. I have a Direct TV sattlelite dish on the back of the house right now..should I go through them for cable? Comcast, AT&T? I really don't watch TV that often so all I really need is basic cable Discover Channel, Sports Center...I don't really need HBO or other premium channels. As for internet, I just need something basic so I can use my laptop wirelessly....all I really use the internet for is clublexus and checking my e-mail, school related stuff...I don't really need a fast speed....

So what do you guys reccomend? I'm trying to keep it at $100 or under/month...

Oh and does anyone have experience with installing recessed lights or ceramic tile? I think those are going to be my first two projects

That's all the questions I have for now...I'm sure there will be more

Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-07, 08:59 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've installed recessed lights and ceramic tile a few times. It's really not that hard. At Home Depot they have those How To books. Pick one up for yourself if you're not sure how to go about installing the above. Just take your time and it will come out nice.
Old 09-02-07, 10:59 PM
allklr
Pole Position

go with comcast, Get your own router instead of renting/buyng theirs.
Old 09-03-07, 05:01 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oblivionis
I've installed recessed lights and ceramic tile a few times. It's really not that hard. At Home Depot they have those How To books. Pick one up for yourself if you're not sure how to go about installing the above. Just take your time and it will come out nice.
Yeah there is a Home Depot pratically in my backyard....I'll have to check that out

go with comcast, Get your own router instead of renting/buyng theirs.
Where can I get one? you reccomend a certain brand?
Old 09-03-07, 06:39 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Comcast is a ripoff.

I ended up going with AT&T DSL, cant even notice the difference between DSL Pro and Comcast Cable unless youre downloading GIGANTIC files.

My basic phone line, DSL Pro and Dish with midgrade package including their HD package is running me under $70/month out the door.

Congrats on the house purchase!!
Old 09-03-07, 09:41 AM
nn432100
Lead Lap

If you dont need speed then dsl might be a good bet. Never used it myself but it is cheaper per month. Not sure if you need a landline though. I have comcast digital basic and its good enough for me. Comcast does have a 3 for 1 deal that is a hundred a month. it included landline, internet, and cable. Or you could get a card from a cell phone carrier but those are pretty expensive per month. Congrats on the new home and good luck with your projects!!
Old 09-03-07, 01:20 PM
allklr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cHiTwNGS43
Where can I get one? you reccomend a certain brand?
I have always had good luck with Linksys or Belkin, Depending on what kind of wireless you have on your laptop you should not need anything more than b/g router. These can be found pretty cheap after rebates.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-07, 02:48 PM
Wai
Pole Position

Congrats on the new house Steve!!

I've been a comcast customer ever since cable service was available (first it was mediaone, then attbi, then comcast).

I only use internet for browsing so I don't really need anything stupid high speed, so I've thought about switching to DSL. But a good friend of mine told me to avoid it. DSL will automatically change the IP every so often, but the system would not refresh automatically. So he would loose connection as often as 3-4 times within an hour and has to reboot the modem.

I'm not sure if his system is too old, but I just stay with comcast and never have a problem (well just some very occasional ones).
Old 09-03-07, 04:57 PM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PetesLS400
Comcast is a ripoff.

I ended up going with AT&T DSL, cant even notice the difference between DSL Pro and Comcast Cable unless youre downloading GIGANTIC files.

My basic phone line, DSL Pro and Dish with midgrade package including their HD package is running me under $70/month out the door.

Congrats on the house purchase!!
Wow I'm going to have to look into this Any problems with the sattelite going out?

Oh and I'm not trying to leave Comcast out of the question. Actually one of my friends told me to get Comcast but I agree with Pete...I think its way to expensive for what I'm going to use it for. How much do you think installation and all that junk will run me?

Thanks for all the congrats on the new bacleor pad too....it was the right market to buy it in. BTW...its in Schaumburg so a lot closer to work and school (Ohare campus). I'll have to throw a little something once i get all settled in.

-Steve
Old 09-03-07, 10:25 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the new place Steve! Post up some pics!
Old 09-04-07, 05:40 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Congratulations on your new home! Glad to see that Alex was able to hook you up. Best of luck with the place in the future.
Old 09-04-07, 06:26 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wai
Congrats on the new house Steve!!

I've been a comcast customer ever since cable service was available (first it was mediaone, then attbi, then comcast).

I only use internet for browsing so I don't really need anything stupid high speed, so I've thought about switching to DSL. But a good friend of mine told me to avoid it. DSL will automatically change the IP every so often, but the system would not refresh automatically. So he would loose connection as often as 3-4 times within an hour and has to reboot the modem.

I'm not sure if his system is too old, but I just stay with comcast and never have a problem (well just some very occasional ones).

Had DSL in my house in Wooddale with no issues. Then moved to Schaumburg where DSL wasnt offered so I was stuck with Comcast where I was paying out my azz. Have had DSL in Bartlett now for 3 years, again with no issues. Sounds like something is wrong with his system.
Old 09-04-07, 06:27 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cHiTwNGS43
Wow I'm going to have to look into this Any problems with the sattelite going out?

Oh and I'm not trying to leave Comcast out of the question. Actually one of my friends told me to get Comcast but I agree with Pete...I think its way to expensive for what I'm going to use it for. How much do you think installation and all that junk will run me?

Thanks for all the congrats on the new bacleor pad too....it was the right market to buy it in. BTW...its in Schaumburg so a lot closer to work and school (Ohare campus). I'll have to throw a little something once i get all settled in.

-Steve
Installation for us was free, they always have specials.

In the 3 years that we've had the dish, its gone out maybe 5 times, it takes a big storm to knock out the signal. Everytime it has reset itself in well under 5 minutes.