Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

HID auto-leveling help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 06:46 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID auto-leveling help...

...so I'm a big DIY'er when it comes to working on cars. I've done everything from full suspension installs to engine work, from electrical and wiring to paint detailing. The only things I haven't done are gear work (transmission and rear end) and body work.

With that said, I haven't really gotten my hands too dirty with the GS430. I'm not too familiar with Toyota builds, but am sure that I can get pretty familiar with them quickly.

I am having an auto-leveling issue with the HIDs. The autoleveling indicator light went on in the dash earlier this week and last night I noticed/realized that the HID's were aimed downward at an extreme angle.

Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions at what I should start looking at when I get to work on this? Should I be looking at auto leveling sensors, motors, the autoleveling computer, or all of them? Is there one thing or another that typically goes bad with the autoleveling HIDs?

Before anyone says it, yes, I've searched the whole site for this issue and didn't find anything og substance.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions!
Old 05-07-08, 06:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the 2IS but assuming they are the same set up??

There is one screw for adjusting the lights. I have a PDF that I can send you if that is of help. On the Auto Level there was a level once we removed the plastic covers that surround the engine bay. There are stickers that explain the process on how to adjust all of these when you remove the covers. I bet that will give you all you need to start and get an idea.

Maybe another member with your car has more info then I do.

Hope that is of help!
Mike
Old 05-07-08, 06:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

what I mean by level is an eye with the bubble just like using a level for construction and stuff if I am making sense?? haha.

I really think once you take off the covers it will answer a lot of your questions and doubts with playing around.

Does it move at all if you stand in front of the car??
Old 05-07-08, 08:13 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Yes it's making sense. On the 2nd gen GS, the 'level' is visible from looking down on the head lamps with the hood up.

The last I looked, the bubble in the level on both lights is right in the middle. That PDF could prove to be helpful, I'll PM you my email address if you don't mind sending it to me.

Thanks for that....next meet, your first beer is on me!
Old 05-08-08, 07:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

here is the PDF I have. Its more for the aim of the lights. Once you remove the cover if you need to you in your car it should tell you what to do.

I can help you if you are at the next meet up if you want.

No beer necessary! Thanks for the kind gesture

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight_aim.pdf (211.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 05-08-08, 08:47 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luder94
...so I'm a big DIY'er when it comes to working on cars. I've done everything from full suspension installs to engine work, from electrical and wiring to paint detailing. The only things I haven't done are gear work (transmission and rear end) and body work.

With that said, I haven't really gotten my hands too dirty with the GS430. I'm not too familiar with Toyota builds, but am sure that I can get pretty familiar with them quickly.

I am having an auto-leveling issue with the HIDs. The autoleveling indicator light went on in the dash earlier this week and last night I noticed/realized that the HID's were aimed downward at an extreme angle.

Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions at what I should start looking at when I get to work on this? Should I be looking at auto leveling sensors, motors, the autoleveling computer, or all of them? Is there one thing or another that typically goes bad with the autoleveling HIDs?

Before anyone says it, yes, I've searched the whole site for this issue and didn't find anything og substance.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions!
One important question would be, did you do any supension mods?
Old 05-08-08, 07:06 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brian231
One important question would be, did you do any supension mods?
Yes...it's on lowering springs. It's been on those springs for about 3 years with no issues. It's a REALLY modest drop...something to the tune of a 3/4" drop; something I should be looking at?

I hope the drop isn't going to be an issue. I have a whole suspension and bushing setup that I'm ready to install that will REALLY drop the car. Maybe later this summer or sometime next year, I'll be doing an air ride setup.
Old 05-09-08, 09:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

check out this thread...maybe this is another possible reason . worth checking if its on the GS like it is with the IS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=54

I say check the level to see where it is. since your car is lowered it may not sit level in order for them to function?? Just guessing on that...

and check to see the thread above to make sure that its not out of place for any reason.

I am sure when we all meet up next time if you havent fixed we can all put our heads together and help you figure it out. easier to be there then behind the PC trying to help out.

Mike
Old 05-09-08, 10:07 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'll check it out on the GS once the wife gets home with the car.

I also read that the computer that controls auto leveling could have gone out. If that's the case, then I guess that I'll be ready for an expensive replacement.
Old 05-10-08, 11:36 AM
TRM04
Driver

Urmil-

I've had this problem:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208496
Old 05-10-08, 03:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRM04
So it sounds like its the info I posted above then? assuming its the same as this member. The only thing is that he has had his car lowered for some time so I am not so sure its the height adjustments by the suspension. Anything is possible and worth trying.