Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Off-topic: Bicycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 02:48 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-topic: Bicycling

Anyone local in the NW burbs into bicycling? The reason I ask is that I just bought a new mountain bike (Specialized M4 Comp Disc) and want to get back into what I was into back in high school.

Anyway, I'm looking for riding buddies. The wife wants to get into it as well, but will have to wait until next spring seeing how she's pregnant now and will not be able to get onto a bicycle until mid-December.

I know there are alot of trails up in Algonquin and northern IL, but wouldn't mind riding Busse Woods and what not.
Old 07-09-08, 03:58 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

I've got a trek that i bought two years ago for the same reason you stated and i maybe rode the thing like 10 times...I would be up for a ride only problem is i dont know how the hell i would get the bike anywhere other then riding it. The trunks on IS's and Civic's arent exactly the biggest. So if you in the algonquin area let me know cause thats where im at.

Originally Posted by Luder94
Anyone local in the NW burbs into bicycling? The reason I ask is that I just bought a new mountain bike (Specialized M4 Comp Disc) and want to get back into what I was into back in high school.

Anyway, I'm looking for riding buddies. The wife wants to get into it as well, but will have to wait until next spring seeing how she's pregnant now and will not be able to get onto a bicycle until mid-December.

I know there are alot of trails up in Algonquin and northern IL, but wouldn't mind riding Busse Woods and what not.
Old 07-09-08, 06:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ I am always up for this stuff!

If we are going to need to throw the bikes on the car and go to some good places! I havent in a few years and my bikes on its last legs but I am down for this stuff. I have a bike rack that goes on the trunk/bumper of a car but holds 2 bikes I think? but not so sure I want that on my IS if you know what i mean. Okay I am getting rid of it so why not!!!!!!!!

Let me know when someone wants to meet up!

Mike
Old 07-09-08, 07:22 PM
Jay-Spec
Driver

I love MTBing I only got a wallmart mongoose with front disk brake, I love to go biking but i am i the SE area near blue island.
Old 07-09-08, 07:48 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Weird! I was just in a cycling store today looking at road bikes. Let me know if you guys meet up in the northern burbs.
Old 07-09-08, 08:40 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Lol i ride my bmx around the neighborhood all the time but i don't think that counts?
Old 07-09-08, 09:20 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds great to bad I live so far
Old 07-09-08, 09:33 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

I'm looking at getting a Yakima roof rack for mounting two bikes on the GS.

For the Toyota Highlander, I'll get a hitch mount rack.

I will start exploring the Algonquin area trails this weekend. My bike should be built by Friday (but may even be ready by tomorrow).

If anyone is looking for either a Giant or a Specialized bicycle, I HIGHLY recommend Bicycle Connection of Schaumburg. Ask for Rick and tell him Urmil sent you. They are located on Roselle Rd. (next to Car Boutique and across the street from Babies 'R' Us)
Old 07-09-08, 09:39 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikH
Weird! I was just in a cycling store today looking at road bikes. Let me know if you guys meet up in the northern burbs.
Vik,

What are you looking at (brand wise). I looked high and low for Cannondales, Specialized, and Trek. I can give you some thoughts of the bicycle shops I've visited in the area to give you some feedback.

I'll probably get a road frame next summer. The mountain bike will be used for me getting back in shape and when I need to use a kiddie trailer.
Old 07-10-08, 02:43 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Urmil,

I got a Trek:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...8_series/8500/

I actually ride around my house all the time. That includes your hood a lot especially since there is a nice little trail and park near by. Wanna go ride together?
Old 07-10-08, 05:37 AM
goelise
Pole Position

There is the Chicago North Branch Trail which the most North part starts at the Chicago Botanical Gardens. I take my mountain bike through that trail alot and its a lot of fun since it cuts through the Skokie Lagoons and goes through many forest preserves and sorta zig zags alot. There are also bridges that you gotta go over and I love hills.

http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?conte...8&file=map_68e
Old 07-10-08, 07:01 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luder94
Vik,

What are you looking at (brand wise). I looked high and low for Cannondales, Specialized, and Trek. I can give you some thoughts of the bicycle shops I've visited in the area to give you some feedback.

I'll probably get a road frame next summer. The mountain bike will be used for me getting back in shape and when I need to use a kiddie trailer.
No idea! I went to the REI in Glenview and was looking around. I haven't ridden a bike since high school, so I don't want to spend tons of money. Just looking at biking as another form of exercise. I might check out Smart Cycling Bike Shop in Glenview. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-10-08, 09:09 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

There's an REI in IL?????!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

They had the best deal on the Cannondale F4 from their website. But they wouldn't ship. It had to be bought online and picked up at a local REI store. Their website didn't show any local locations.

Dammit! Of all the bicycles I looked at, my three favorites were the Cannondale F4, Cannondale F3, and the Specialized M4 (that I bought). I sort of liked the Cannondale better...and it was made in the U.S. to boot.

If you narrow it down to Cannondale or Specialized, I can tell you exactly where in NW IL you can go to get the best deal on those two brands. As far as Trek, the best deals I found were online. I didn't want to buy a bicycle online because I wanted to make sure there was a bicycle shop I can develop a relationship with.
Old 07-10-08, 10:33 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Urmil,

Excellent post, I just biked 48 miles all day yesterday on my Gary Fisher. It is the best feeling ever. I rode from Lemont/Homer Area to Woodridge, Downers Grove, Darien, Lombard, Hinsdale, Willowbrook and then around Lemont and then time for night night. Count me in!!! I was heavy into BMX as a kid and had tons of riding buddies. Mountain Biking is so much more fun.
Old 07-10-08, 01:54 PM
kf678
Driver School Candidate

I found a nice trunk rack for the IS...I purchased one and I was a little nervous about putting it on my vehicle, but after a couple of uses, I have no marks or scratches, but I still get a little nervous each time I use it... I also strap the bike tires and pedals to the rack so the front tire doesn't move around and bump the car.

here's the link, it doesn't work with a trunk spoiler...I can take a picture if you want to see it on the IS...

http://www.saris.com/p-301-bones-rs.aspx

If the link doesn't work, it's a Saris Bones RS rack...

Quick Reply: Off-topic: Bicycling