Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Third Party Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 05:31 PM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Third Party Navigation

I didn't get the navigation package with my IS; I had a hard time justifying 2500 bucks for navigation that can't even be used while in motion.

With that said, I was considering one of the top of the line Garmin models. My concern is that this component may dampen the luxury aesthetics of the interior.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-08, 05:40 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdk77
I didn't get the navigation package with my IS; I had a hard time justifying 2500 bucks for navigation that can't even be used while in motion.

With that said, I was considering one of the top of the line Garmin models. My concern is that this component may dampen the luxury aesthetics of the interior.

Thoughts?
How about one of those cool Pioneer (or other) in-dash stereos w/ the pop out GPS'?
Old 08-06-08, 08:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdk77

Thoughts?
you can remove them so I wouldn't worry about it and I am sure you wont need it all the time. store it in the glove box if you don't want others to see it.

a good unit from my research is the Navigon 7100. It has the most to offer today and is reasonably priced. You can get it from tigerdirect.com and pick it up at a few of there warehouses direct here in IL. I plan to get this if the next car doesnt have Navi.

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
How about one of those cool Pioneer (or other) in-dash stereos w/ the pop out GPS'?
They really dont have anything for the IS and you loose soo much taking this stuff out. Better to get the portable units with the IS. If it was a GS I would swap it for the other unit. Matt has a neat project in the near future for his GS
Old 08-07-08, 03:21 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
you can remove them so I wouldn't worry about it and I am sure you wont need it all the time. store it in the glove box if you don't want others to see it.

a good unit from my research is the Navigon 7100. It has the most to offer today and is reasonably priced. You can get it from tigerdirect.com and pick it up at a few of there warehouses direct here in IL. I plan to get this if the next car doesnt have Navi.

They really dont have anything for the IS and you loose soo much taking this stuff out. Better to get the portable units with the IS. If it was a GS I would swap it for the other unit. Matt has a neat project in the near future for his GS
^^ I kind of agree w/ you. I just thought I'd throw it out there! If the car was a keeper and I didn't have the ML/GPS I'd consider it. If I had the ML, but not the GPS I probably wouldn't.

How's your car project coming along? Did you decide what you are getting?
Old 08-07-08, 07:27 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Garmin Nuvi products are excellent. I have the Nuvi 680.

Old 08-07-08, 12:04 PM
mdk77
Driver

Originally Posted by goelise
The Garmin Nuvi products are excellent. I have the Nuvi 680.

That looks sweet - how much did that set you back?
Old 08-07-08, 02:17 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a GPS fanatic since the inception of the first civilian units to hit the markets. I had the first Street Pilot Colormap and really like Garmin. I now have a Nuvi 200W (Widescreen) and it is very easy to use. I picked it up for around only $200. Prices have come down and this unit looks like the size of an I-Phone.
Old 08-07-08, 03:41 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dkaplan435

How's your car project coming along? Did you decide what you are getting?
Just started at a new place this week and getting read for the baby...we are down to ~ 4 weeks so anytime now she can have him Car is back to stock and ready. I am in works with my buddy, or I was, so I am not sure what I am going to do. I just got a call back from James today but wasnt able to take the call. I would like to get a GS to have a bigger car for the family as the DD and then get a toy next year to fix up and have as a "true" performance car that I can enjoy and do performance mods to unlike my IS350. Will see what happens as I dont care what I end up with for the DD and I am 5 min from my new office so I will be doing minimal driving for now.

How have you been?
Old 08-07-08, 11:43 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion