Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

where to live in Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 09:58 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default where to live in Chicago?

So I think I'm moving to Chicago next summer-ish. I wanted to start looking for a place to live and I have no idea where to start to look...

I'll be working at downtown Chicago (I'm guessing most of you take the train there?) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to live.

TIA
Old 10-14-08, 10:15 AM
Paranormal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That depends on what your trying to spend & whats most important to you. Im a single guy living in the west loop & i work downtown. I walk 5 min to the train and it takes me right downtown. Saves me time & gas plus the $275 monthly parking downtown is crazy.

Chicago is a very eclectic city!

Every area has its nitch so it depends on:

1. price (exp. 1bdrm west loop $1300)
2. proximity to downtown
3. type of crowd you want around you (professionals, artists, college, family)
4. family size (anything bigger than a 2bdrm you will be paying $2000+)
5. Buying or renting

If you can answer those i can give you a better idea of which areas will work
Old 10-14-08, 10:16 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

Depends what you're looking for and if you're willing to commute every day. Traffic ain't friendly over here...

Also depends on what you like to do on the weekends or after work.

How old are you? Do you have children? Pets?
Old 10-14-08, 10:51 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. price (exp. 1bdrm west loop $1300) : haven't figured that out yet...probably should do this first.
2. proximity to downtown closer the better I think...don't know if I can handle driving everyday.
3. type of crowd you want around you (professionals, artists, college, family) preferably professional (but most expensive?).
4. family size (anything bigger than a 2bdrm you will be paying $2000+) just myself and maybe some cats in the future.
5. Buying or renting renting for sure.
Also depends on what you like to do on the weekends or after work. never lived in Chicago so can't say for sure but I hang out with my friends, and work on cars and drive cars.
How old are you? Do you have children? Pets?mid 20s, no kids, but i do want cats.

eek, 275/month?

and I think I started this thread too early...i'm gonna go do some more research. but keep the suggestions coming!

Last edited by kit cat; 10-14-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 11:15 AM
Paranormal
Driver

1. Plan on spending $1300 plus utilities if you plan on being in a nice area
2. Most places take cats with no issue.
3. I work, play ps3 & 360, work on my motorcycles & work on my cars & drive!!! If you find a place with indoor parking you can do all that but the further north you go the harder it is to find street parking.
4. Yeah bro you looking early, check out chicago.craigslist.org when your ready to start. I found my place on here & got a sick hook up!

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
1. price (exp. 1bdrm west loop $1300) : haven't figured that out yet...probably should do this first.
2. proximity to downtown closer the better I think...don't know if I can handle driving everyday.
3. type of crowd you want around you (professionals, artists, college, family) preferably professional (but most expensive?).
4. family size (anything bigger than a 2bdrm you will be paying $2000+) just myself and maybe some cats in the future.
5. Buying or renting renting for sure.
Also depends on what you like to do on the weekends or after work. never lived in Chicago so can't say for sure but I hang out with my friends, and work on cars and drive cars.
How old are you? Do you have children? Pets?mid 20s, no kids, but i do want cats.

eek, 275/month?

and I think I started this thread too early...i'm gonna go do some more research. but keep the suggestions coming!
Old 10-14-08, 11:28 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

I live in the burbs
Old 10-14-08, 11:39 AM
Paranormal
Driver

Originally Posted by jmkiang
I live in the burbs
I grew up in the burbs & dont miss it at all!

Cops knew me by 1st name!
Old 10-14-08, 02:12 PM
mtnx7
Driver School Candidate

Cabrini Green...no doubt
Old 10-14-08, 02:46 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

wrigleyville, wicker park, lincoln park all good stuff I90 is bad between 7-8:30 and 1-7pm (this is what i notice) all the above factor's apply
Old 10-14-08, 05:37 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Look around the South Loop. You might be able to find some deals on converted condos to rentals.
Old 10-14-08, 05:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
Look around the South Loop. You might be able to find some deals on converted condos to rentals.
I agree on this. I lived in Chicago for 4 years in the Printer's Row area, and actually lived in two places (both near the library) on Dearborn and later Plymouth, both under $1000 USD a month. I looked at River City once, but that was kind of pricey for what you got. But around there you are in walking distance of the trains. 60606 zip code is the area I was living in.
Old 10-14-08, 08:20 PM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

There are some nice places in Bucktown and the crowd is generally younger... (probably around your age).
Old 10-14-08, 08:40 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I agree on this. I lived in Chicago for 4 years in the Printer's Row area, and actually lived in two places (both near the library) on Dearborn and later Plymouth, both under $1000 USD a month. I looked at River City once, but that was kind of pricey for what you got. But around there you are in walking distance of the trains. 60606 zip code is the area I was living in.
its changed in the past 4 years with the booming new towns all over. Market is tough right now but the city seems to be holding its ground from a renting stand point. you may be able to buy for a little less but I havent heard of any deals on renting. Its hit or miss but you cant go wrong with any of these areas. Do you come to Chicago anymore?

Originally Posted by jmkiang
There are some nice places in Bucktown and the crowd is generally younger... (probably around your age).
This is for sure a hot area for the young crowd. along with Lincoln Park and Wicker Park. You really cant go wrong no matter which of these towns you pick. You are so close to everything and with the cabs and local transportation you can leave your car parked in a garage and not really need to use it.
Old 10-14-08, 09:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
its changed in the past 4 years with the booming new towns all over. Market is tough right now but the city seems to be holding its ground from a renting stand point. you may be able to buy for a little less but I havent heard of any deals on renting. Its hit or miss but you cant go wrong with any of these areas. Do you come to Chicago anymore?
I was there just for some trips before I went down to Mexico, but my parents have been back and I have cousins that live near there that keep me a bit informed of the situation. I was there from 96 to 00.
Old 10-15-08, 05:34 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Cool. You will have to let us know next time you are coming in town so we can meet up with you. Just make sure you come in the dead of winter and bring some FL weather with you

Quick Reply: where to live in Chicago?