Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Re: Need Custom Exhaust Work done

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 08:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Re: Need Custom Exhaust Work done

Okay guys I am going to try the impossible here. I am going to run with a 2IS exhaust and have it customized for the GS. There is going to be some minor cutting and extending of pipes in a few spots to accommodate for the difference in size. I just need someone that can weld good and has SS pipes. I was going to have a shop do a full set up and well what they want to do the side work isnt worth the $$. Of course if they do the full exhaust they will take care of me, so it seems. Anyway I need to get back to this person and make sure I have a reliable person that will do this as a side job on a Saturday or Sunday for me. I will help out also well help with the install. I do not do weld work....

Thank you
Old 10-23-08, 09:25 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I get some of the work I cant do at home at one6. Ive known mark for years and he helps me out. You can call him and see if hes willing to try this.
Old 10-23-08, 09:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I get some of the work I cant do at home at one6. Ive known mark for years and he helps me out. You can call him and see if hes willing to try this.
Mark, aka One6 rolled my fenders on my IS350. Can the weld good there and does he have SS pieces? I completely forgot about them. They are some what close to me. I will try him tomorrow to see what he says. I need about 1 hour of shop time and material. Just want to get an idea on cost before I pull the trigger here.

Thanks for the info
Old 10-23-08, 10:33 PM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I know mark well there as I frequent to one6 too.
I asked him about exhaustwork a long time ago but he said he doesn't do it really..

But then.. later on he did my cat delete/test pipe

I vouch for one6 and Mark. Top notch in my honest opinion hands down.
Old 10-24-08, 06:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ I am going to call him today. Problem is i have no idea how much work its going to be. I dont want to be told one thing then another thing ya know. If it gets to be too much then I will kill my self in this project and be better to just go full custom and call it a day. I just have no time to drop my car off for ~ 4hrs. That is what they estimated since I wont be the only customer. What i need is something after hours
Old 10-24-08, 06:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

here is basically what I need done, I dont have any measurements. Maybe today I can stop up Jeff if you are working and we can measure up my OEM to see if that will help out.

All it should need is the hanger points changed and a few pieces of SS pipe to make it work out. If it needs more then that then I need to find a new home for it.
Attached Thumbnails Re: Need Custom Exhaust Work done-chassis2.jpg  
Old 10-24-08, 06:43 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

so from the pic above it would now look similar to this, except 2 pipes all the way back....
Attached Thumbnails Re: Need Custom Exhaust Work done-chassis.jpg  
Old 10-24-08, 06:49 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

Make sure they use a TIG welder

Good luck. Lemme know if you need any help whatsoever... I'm there! Especially since One6 is super close to me.
Old 10-24-08, 09:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmkiang
Make sure they use a TIG welder

Good luck. Lemme know if you need any help whatsoever... I'm there! Especially since One6 is super close to me.
thanks, will see...i just need to buy something and run with it. i keep changing my mind and doubting that this will work.
Old 10-24-08, 01:59 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

For great weld work, you can also head over to AMS in West Chicago.

As for all the custom work, I'd stick with the OEM piping. I'd just cut off the OEM cannisters and weld up some Borla, Flowmaster, or Magnaflow. I prefer Magnaflow.

If it's still too quiet for you, I'd also cut out the large resonator...but keep it close, you'll probably want to put back on right away.
Old 10-24-08, 02:15 PM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

^ Hacking up your stock exhaust FTL
Old 10-24-08, 04:16 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmkiang
^ Hacking up your stock exhaust FTL
Paying $250 or more for a full exhaust on a car that you don't plan to try and build as an all-out performance car for something as simple as looks and exhaust note is the REAL 'FTL'.

If I didn't tell anybody, no one would know that is how my exhaust on the GS430 is done.

Actually in Mike's case, paying $?00 on an exhaust that needs cutting and more work to make it fit is even is more redonkulous. You can get two cannisters, and a straight pipe (to cut out the large resonator) for less than $350 installed.

IMHO, if you're building a track a car then go and spend $1200+ on a titanium system from Amuse, HKS, GReddy, etc. Even then, I wouldn't spend the dough...I'd get a custom exhaust built for me.

Last edited by Luder94; 10-24-08 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 04:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ I can get that done for ~ 200$...It will cost me 600 - 700$ for a full custom exhaust. my 3rd option is to get a full Borla, 2IS set up, and have minor work done to it. That will cost me ~700 - 800.

I just fear that I wont be happy hacking my OEM exhaust and then be stuck with it. I will do this and roll the dice. I know that I wont get much in HP out of any of these options as we talked but I do want a nice aggressive sound.
Old 10-24-08, 07:49 PM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

Mike I work sat/sunday 6am-2pm
Sat: after 2pm Im installing a caliper on my driver side as well as another brake line so.. if youd like come by if I dont leave right after (which I shouldnt)
sun: I'm free after 2 but come by anytime after 12pm if youd like.

let me know
Old 10-25-08, 04:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ I just ordered the tires for my car, not going to MI after all. I made an offer they didnt like and for the $$ I just got new tires. Can we mount tires at your shop? I should have them next week and probably mount them in the next 3 weeks and get off the summer tires.

I need to sell the summer tires 245-40 (18) if anyone is interested let me know. I put ~500 miles on them, McGrath put new tires on the car for me. Im going to get Summer rims/tires come spring so I dont need them. Make me an offer

Im going to a shop next weekend for the exhaust and have them measure up what needs to be done. Hopefully they can do it on the spot and be done with that also.

Thanks Jeff!

Quick Reply: Re: Need Custom Exhaust Work done