Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Garage door help? Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 08:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Garage door help? Please

Anyone have a contact or someone that can do this as a side job for me? Its for a 2nd/rental property and I wont be able to see it till Saturday. It sounds like the spring snapped But the property is only 5 years old so I am not sure if my renter knew what to look for or not. either way I need to get it fixed. If you have any contacts please let me know or if someone could help me I would appreciate it. The property is located in Geneva.

Thank you
Old 12-04-08, 08:59 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

That compression spring for the garage door is very dangerous to replace yourself. This happens to the best of us and especially when it is cold outside, these things snap. My aunt used the below for her garage last year and she lives in Batavia.

Geneva Garage Door Service Company
(630) 938-4646‎
Old 12-04-08, 09:05 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian231
Mike,

That compression spring for the garage door is very dangerous to replace yourself. This happens to the best of us and especially when it is cold outside, these things snap. My aunt used the below for her garage last year and she lives in Batavia.

Geneva Garage Door Service Company
(630) 938-4646‎
Thanks Brian, I called them...they, like any other place in Geneva, want an arm and leg to just get it started with out knowing what is wrong. I have fixed doors and many things in the past but not a spring and I wont do that It should be 100$ or less as my parents had this done in a much nicer home around the corner but that was years ago and they dont recall who did it. I am not out that way is the hard part to see what is wrong?? I have to drive on Saturday to go look at it. I dont want to have any issues with it and more important I dont want anyone to get hurt.

Keep posting back with ideas or places please.

I think this is something Matt can do with his bare hands
Old 12-04-08, 09:07 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thanks Brian, I called them...they, like any other place in Geneva, want an arm and leg to just get it started with out knowing what is wrong. I have fixed doors and many things in the past but not a spring and I wont do that It should be 100$ or less as my parents had this done in a much nicer home around the corner but that was years ago and they dont recall who did it. I am not out that way is the hard part to see what is wrong?? I have to drive on Saturday to go look at it. I dont want to have any issues with it and more important I dont want anyone to get hurt.

Keep posting back with ideas or places please.

I think this is something Matt can do with his bare hands
Matt is ROBOCOP with a wrench.
Old 12-04-08, 09:55 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Im not going anywhere near one of those springs. Those will cut limbs off, if they let go.

I dont know anyone Mike...See what Lowes Depot might have.
Old 12-04-08, 11:15 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

Hopefully just the cable connecting to the spring snapped, which is what usually happens... it shouldn't cost more than $100- max to have someone come out and fix it. I had my local (Lincoln Park) Home Depot refer me to a contractor they use who fixed mine.... although he talked me into changing from side-springs to one spring above the door, which is much much safer. I spent around $350- if I remember right.

When the cable snapped, the spring missed my wife's head by inches, hit the garage wall, and ripped a hole the size of my head out of the drywall!! Definitely not a DIY project if you've never done it before.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 12-14-08, 08:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

forgot to post that this was fixed. it was both springs and many other things? not sure how with this place only 5 years old but stuff happens. actually got this all fixed for a little over 200$ for parts and labor so it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for the replies and info everyone!
Old 12-14-08, 09:00 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you didn't make this a DIY project, those springs are EXTREMELY dangerous.
Old 12-14-08, 09:57 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one pop on me a year ago. I called the company to come and replace it. They did it in less than 5 min. From what I've researched there is a good number of people who die each year from trying to replace the spring themselves.
Old 12-15-08, 07:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

lol...the garage door was frozen shut at my wifes place this am?!?!? ugh! I think the opener took a dump because of it. I had to almost break the storm door to open it so she could leave this am. Man here comes that lovely Chicago weather!!! filled up the GS with gas this am and it did great. I am impressed with these tires and this car in the ice/snow so far.
Old 12-15-08, 08:19 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
lol...the garage door was frozen shut at my wifes place this am?!?!? ugh! I think the opener took a dump because of it. I had to almost break the storm door to open it so she could leave this am. Man here comes that lovely Chicago weather!!! filled up the GS with gas this am and it did great. I am impressed with these tires and this car in the ice/snow so far.
It was a damn ice rink this morning and evening!!!!!!!!! Ice everywhere. My car handled well, but the problem is that other people drive stupidly. Saw some guy in an S6 that thought he was invincible. Almost lost it when he hit the ice
Old 12-16-08, 08:00 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VikH
It was a damn ice rink this morning and evening!!!!!!!!! Ice everywhere. My car handled well, but the problem is that other people drive stupidly. Saw some guy in an S6 that thought he was invincible. Almost lost it when he hit the ice
I probably saw about 4-5 cars in a 1 mile stretch of road that skid into ditches on the side of the road. People with these SUV's think that they can go through anything at 50 + mph
Old 12-17-08, 07:56 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike did you get it fixed yet