Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

2009 tint law...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09 | 06:55 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

You need WT plates to have any tint on the front windows.
Old 01-13-09 | 06:55 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

so anyone got a tint ticket to verify this? :P
Old 01-13-09 | 10:31 PM
pli
Lead Lap

i wouldnt take the risk though. if the rumor has spread to more than one person, then you know this is going to be legitimate. im done dealing with tint tickets from before. got 4 on my first car. but then again, my car('00 black SC'ed civic si with 20% tints) was a police magnet. they were just aiming to try and pull me over =P
Old 01-14-09 | 06:35 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

I agree that its not worth it but I want to confirm that this is indeed true before taking mine off. Personally I hate cars that only have the rears tinted...
Old 01-14-09 | 08:21 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

anything uner 70% in the front driver and passenger windows is illegal in most states.

tinting the rear windows under 70 is usually okay.

I have 60% tint on my windows and that is still illegal.

sucks...
Old 01-14-09 | 10:12 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I had 35% tint on my G20 back in 2001 and a Naperville cop walked in front of my car to pull me over in Riverwalk. Granted, it was a sunny bright day, had beige light interior, and my girlfriend at the time was with me. That guy was a ***** and had nothing better to do than harass me on my way to lunch. I produced a doctors note and he had a conniption fit and let me go. I am not tinting anymore unless I obtain WT plates and that is unlikely. I am also leaving front plate on from here on in.
Old 01-14-09 | 11:46 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

^ Why live if you're gonna follow all the rules?
Old 01-14-09 | 01:46 PM
LexAudio83
Driver School Candidate

It is actually 250 dollar fine for front tints starting tomorrow the 15th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-pa..._b_131098.html
Old 01-14-09 | 02:51 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

This is B.S. Money hungry politicians have nothing else better to do. I'm going to see how far I can get with my 35% tinted windows.
Old 01-14-09 | 02:52 PM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

Jason, you and I should be outlaws with tint
Old 01-14-09 | 03:59 PM
99GSThree
Driver

This is a response i got from the State today after i emailed them asking about tint laws/fees:

The tinted windows law has not changed since August of 2007. The fine for a first offense is no less than $50 and no more than $500. A second or subsequent offense is a Class C misdemeanor, with a fine of no less than $100 and mo more than $500. The offender is also ordered to remove the unlawful window tint.
Old 01-14-09 | 04:22 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

wait wait if thhis was for the front windows... not the front side... then ooops got it wrong =(

Last edited by acefalcon2; 01-14-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-14-09 | 04:39 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexAudio83
It is actually 250 dollar fine for front tints starting tomorrow the 15th.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-pa..._b_131098.html
Thank you for posting this. Un-F'in believeable.
Old 01-14-09 | 05:40 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, this sucks, but I doubt I will take mine down.
Old 01-14-09 | 06:52 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

I've been seeing a lot more questions regarding parking violations for "tinted glass," (Municipal Code 9-76-220) as of late.

This law prohibits modifying the front windshield and both front side windows by darkening them with tint. While some states allow moderate percentages of tint on front vehicle glass, Illinois and more specifically Chicago does not allow any.

The law has no restrictions on tinting the rear window and side back windows.

Because of all the e-mails I'm getting, my assumption (and that's all it is--an assumption), is that police, for whatever reason, are writing more of these violations. And I'm not sure why.

The bad news is, this piddly $25 violation will increase ten-fold on January 15, 2009 to a stunning $250!!!

This little tidbit came to my attention by way of a reader, who passed on this link with the details from the city council.

It was passed in the city council by unanimous vote on July 9, 2008. Gee, thanks Aldermen for sticking it to us once again!

According to the resolution, tinted glass "poses a serious threat to the safety of police". I'll take their word on this. It's completely understandable why cops would be apprehensive pulling over a vehicle, and not knowing what lurked behind blacked out glass.

But does the fine for this violation really have to be $250?!?

This seems pretty steep considering most people with tinted windows are doing so to keep their vehicle from overheating and to reduce glare for improved visibility and safety while driving.

My research shows that Illinois, along with four other states, Alaska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Vermont, have the harshest tint laws in the nation. Chicago's tint law is nearly word for word, the same as the state of Illinois'. With this impending $250 fine, I would suspect it makes it the toughest, most expensive tint law in the entire country.

So my question is this: Is this fine about police safety? Or is it really about increasing revenue for a city that is desperate for any revenue?

My guess is, it's about revenue under the pretense of police safety.

Again, as much as I want our police officers to be safe, I don't believe that $250 is anywhere near a fair penalty.

The other problem with the law is that there is nothing written in it that provides an objective way for the tint to be measured.

When I spoke to Officer Mirabelli from the Media Relations office for the Chicago Police Department, he explained that "officers just know from experience," if a vehicle has tinted windows or not.

Nothing personal, but I'm not sure I trust this type of so-called "expertise". They're policemen, not tint technicians.

I have been receiving too many e-mails from drivers who claim they purchased factory new automobiles from dealers and have not made any alterations to their front side glass, yet still have been ticketed. All new automobiles come off the assembly line with naked glass--without any tinting. This means any tint would have to be applied after initial purchase.

An easy solution exists. It's called a tint meter. They run around $75-$100.

Cops armed with tint meters would be able to demonstrate, objectively, without a doubt, whether a vehicle's front and/or side glass is tinted or not.

Otherwise, this very expensive violation is up to the subjective whims or "expertise" of the police.

In the meantime, if you have tinted glass, I would strongly suggest you have that tint removed as soon as possible, or at least before January 15th, 2009.

Having the tint removed from your front side windows is pretty inexpensive and runs, from my research, from $30-$50 total--which is much more affordable than a $250 ticket.

Here's a list of Chicago companies that specialize in installing and removing window tint.

For more information and advice on Chicago parking tickets, red light camera violations and parking in Chicago, check out The Expired Meter.

Quick Reply: 2009 tint law...?