Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

New transmission needed after 144000 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 01:10 AM
Lexls400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New transmission needed after 144000 miles...

I have a 2000 ES300 and I was driving the car the other day and the transmission started jerking pretty hard and then it went dead.. I had it towed to the dealer and I found out the car needs a new transmission when I had this one serviced with the transmission oil changed and transpan gasket changed because of a leak.. To install a new transmission will be about $4500.00 plus tax... I just put in a new starter as well the week before.. This is lately costing me alot of money that I don't really have.. Could this be the start of bad things to come? Ive owned this car for a little over 4 years... and my other car before this never had any of those problems and I had a 1990 LS400 which is 10 years older then this car is that I have now.. My LS400 was 11 years old the day I bought it and this car was only 5 years old the day I bought it.. Right now I am also working with a rep from the Lexus MFR on what I can do about this problem with this car... I also rented a 2009 Nissan Altima which seems to be a nice car while my car is stuck on the dealers lot... I have been a loyal Lexus customer for years and I have always been into Lexus vehicles for as long as I remember ever since I was a kid but for the first time ever I am considering another car from a different manufacture like maybe a Nissan Maxima when time comes to get rid of this car which might be soon.. Any Ideas or thoughts?

-Joe
Old 02-06-09, 07:40 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I know there were problems with transmissions failing in the early RX300's (99-00) due to a bad design. The ES300 uses basically the same transmission so there is always a possibility. What intervals did you change the ATF? Try talking to the dealer sensibly and don't loose your cool, who knows Lexus Corp. or the dealer may offer you a reduced cost or free replacement.

GL
Old 02-06-09, 10:11 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

144,000 miles is alot of miles...who knows how hard the car was driven before you acquired it. $4500 for a new tranny? seems a little steep. might be better spent as a down payment on another car...
Old 02-06-09, 11:02 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexls400
I have a 2000 ES300 and I was driving the car the other day and the transmission started jerking pretty hard and then it went dead.. I had it towed to the dealer and I found out the car needs a new transmission when I had this one serviced with the transmission oil changed and transpan gasket changed because of a leak.. To install a new transmission will be about $4500.00 plus tax... I just put in a new starter as well the week before.. This is lately costing me alot of money that I don't really have.. Could this be the start of bad things to come? Ive owned this car for a little over 4 years... and my other car before this never had any of those problems and I had a 1990 LS400 which is 10 years older then this car is that I have now.. My LS400 was 11 years old the day I bought it and this car was only 5 years old the day I bought it.. Right now I am also working with a rep from the Lexus MFR on what I can do about this problem with this car... I also rented a 2009 Nissan Altima which seems to be a nice car while my car is stuck on the dealers lot... I have been a loyal Lexus customer for years and I have always been into Lexus vehicles for as long as I remember ever since I was a kid but for the first time ever I am considering another car from a different manufacture like maybe a Nissan Maxima when time comes to get rid of this car which might be soon.. Any Ideas or thoughts?

-Joe
Go to different mechanic and get a used transmission. Nissans aren't as reliable or quality as Toyota or Lexus. My father and some friends have owned a few through the years. They had issues that kept on coming back but over all, they kept on buying new ones.
Old 02-06-09, 11:05 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I know there were problems with transmissions failing in the early RX300's (99-00) due to a bad design. The ES300 uses basically the same transmission so there is always a possibility. What intervals did you change the ATF? Try talking to the dealer sensibly and don't loose your cool, who knows Lexus Corp. or the dealer may offer you a reduced cost or free replacement.

GL
I am pretty positive only the AWD Rx300's had the crappy transmissions. I work for Toyota and I don't think we ever had a broken tranny of a v6 camry or avalon which is the same as the ES300.
Old 02-07-09, 09:49 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer will not install the transmission there. They will outsource to a local shop and make $1,500 or more on the deal. I would take it to a transmission specialty shop for around $1,700 (for Lexus) out the door. It is simply a FWD tranny. I would keep the car also.
Old 02-08-09, 08:36 AM
99GSThree
Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
The dealer will not install the transmission there. They will outsource to a local shop and make $1,500 or more on the deal. I would take it to a transmission specialty shop for around $1,700 (for Lexus) out the door. It is simply a FWD tranny. I would keep the car also.
What makes you think the dealer won't swap a tranny? Like you said it's simply a FWD trans. I work at a dealer(not Lexus) and we do all our trans work. Are you speaking from experience or do Lexus dealers not do trans work?
Old 02-08-09, 11:56 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99GSThree
What makes you think the dealer won't swap a tranny? Like you said it's simply a FWD trans. I work at a dealer(not Lexus) and we do all our trans work. Are you speaking from experience or do Lexus dealers not do trans work?
NOT ALL DEALERS DO IN HOUSE TRANNY AND ENGINE SWAPS!!! Yes, this is no mystery. I am happy your dealer does it's own in house work. No need to go to the dealer and pay outrageous fees for a simple transmission. No one has money to burn these days.
Old 02-09-09, 06:56 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To install a new transmission will be about $4500.00 plus tax

Shop this around good luck
Old 02-09-09, 09:47 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
To install a new transmission will be about $4500.00 plus tax

Shop this around good luck
Bill,

He should simply have it rebuilt for less than half of that. Most shops utilize OEM interal parts.
Old 02-28-09, 02:13 AM
Lexls400
Driver

well... to let everyone know.. I was working with the executive office over at Lexus Corperate and they are NOT helping me in any way with this repair.. I looked into it and if I get it repaired at a local shop they want $2000,00 to repair the transmission.. I don't have the money for that either... I have been a loyal Lexus customer for years and I have always been so into the Lexus product line I even know people who work for the Lexus company as well as the dealers since I was a kid.. and to get this news is unbelievable.. The Persuit Of Perfection my ***!!

-Joe
Old 02-28-09, 11:57 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexls400
well... to let everyone know.. I was working with the executive office over at Lexus Corperate and they are NOT helping me in any way with this repair.. I looked into it and if I get it repaired at a local shop they want $2000,00 to repair the transmission.. I don't have the money for that either... I have been a loyal Lexus customer for years and I have always been so into the Lexus product line I even know people who work for the Lexus company as well as the dealers since I was a kid.. and to get this news is unbelievable.. The Persuit Of Perfection my ***!!

-Joe
Your car is 9 years old and has almost 150k miles... if you think that you have it bad go check out what some Honda and Acura guys are going through with their auto trannies.... or the early 6spd G35's and Z's...

On another note, why not locate a used tranny in the classifieds or ebay?
Old 02-28-09, 12:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Acura is having issues with the Trans well before 100k Its a piece of **** Trans in the car and they know it. Other then that I really liked the TL (all 4 of them I owned)...

I was at a Acura event with my buddy who owns the dealer and Acura spoke in regards to this. I actually had Acura buy back one of my cars and give me a decent credit toward a new one. I have to say they did a good job backing it up and I get all kinds of nice stuff in the mail from Acura and not one thing has come in the mail from Lexus I think about two weeks ago I got these nice Coffee Travel mugs in the mail. Too bad I wont use them but they where actually pretty nice. Maybe I am not on the preferred list with Lexus yet???
Old 02-28-09, 10:50 PM
Lexls400
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Your car is 9 years old and has almost 150k miles... if you think that you have it bad go check out what some Honda and Acura guys are going through with their auto trannies.... or the early 6spd G35's and Z's...

On another note, why not locate a used tranny in the classifieds or ebay?
because 1.. I cannot use a transmission by its self without it being put in by someone.. and 2.. my dad owned a 1988 Toyota Corolla that he owned for over 12 years and he had well over 200,000 miles on it and thats just a little cheap toyota and he never changed the trans fluid or anything like I did and his lasted without ever skipping a beat and mine failed with doing all the services on it. and thats why I'm pissed off..
Old 02-28-09, 11:12 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

but remember, someone else owned the car before you, and you dont know how THEY drove it

Quick Reply: New transmission needed after 144000 miles...