Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Lost Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 07:19 PM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost Key Fob

I lost my key fob somewhere between O'Hare and LAX last week. Really pisses me off...

Anyways, from the info I read on here people are paying upwards of 400 bucks for a replacement. Has anyone in the Chicago area gone to any dealerships for a replacement? What did you pay? Can I get a replacement at any dealership or the one I bought the car from?

Thanks
Old 03-04-09, 07:45 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What car do you drive? You probably can get one off ebay.
Old 03-05-09, 04:45 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

I think you can go to any dealership, the problem is the rip you a new on the programming of it. The key itself can be found cheaper online. But the programming and the cutting of the actual metal key is where they get you. Good luck bro.
Old 03-05-09, 05:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ I agree....Unless you can get it done as a courtesy and I wouldn't even bother paying to cut the key. In fact if you find one that is already cut just leave it. Seriously has anyone ever used that key to lock the glove box?
Old 03-05-09, 06:25 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ I agree....Unless you can get it done as a courtesy and I wouldn't even bother paying to cut the key. In fact if you find one that is already cut just leave it. Seriously has anyone ever used that key to lock the glove box?
Just make sure you dont let the battery die on the fob if you dont get the key cut.
Old 03-05-09, 06:44 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IceZ
Just make sure you dont let the battery die on the fob if you dont get the key cut.
thats why we have road side assistance
Old 03-05-09, 10:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

check this out

KeyFob
Old 03-05-09, 10:23 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a long shot, but I would call O'Hare/LAX "Lost and Found" and see if it was turned in to a ticket or courtesy counter.
Old 03-05-09, 11:12 AM
mdk77
Driver

Thanks for the feedback all. I called the TSA lost and found and American Airlines lost and found at both LAX and O'hare. They claim nothing was turned in. I also called the hotel in SoCal I was staying in, nothing showed up either.

My predicament has a twist..my Lexus is a lease and I remember the sales person telling me that they keys will have to be returned, as is, when I return the car. I don't think an aftermarket key would be accetpable - it has to be a "geniuine" Lexus fob.
Old 03-05-09, 11:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ the link I posted above is for an OEM key fob. All that matters is that its programmed and it will open the doors and start the car. The key is nothing for you to worry about and I can tell you that many never turn in the spare key with a lease and you dont get penalized. I can say I never did and had a box full of keys I just recently threw away.
Old 03-05-09, 11:21 AM
mdk77
Driver

Cool, maybe I'll just go with my spare then and not replace it. Of course I nee to be really careful not to lose it in the future or I'm really screwed.
Old 03-05-09, 01:12 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Ya the link Mike posted is to the real oem stuff. I dont believe there are any "aftermarket" keys. You could get the credit card type fob that comes with the LX's

Also if you lose the 2nd one, I believe they need to re-program the entire system and it costs a lot more. (Just what i remember reading on here a while back, not totally sure of the validity of it)
Old 03-05-09, 06:58 PM
mdk77
Driver

Found a few key fobs on ebay - question is, it says the key has already been cut so how would that work? How much is it just to get the valet key cut?

Here
Old 03-05-09, 07:15 PM
kf678
Driver School Candidate

if they key has already been cut, you won't be able to use it with your vehicle because it is cut for a different vehicle (unless of course someone is selling your lost fob and you end up buying it from them ) You can probably order an uncut key from the dealer and have it cut to your vehicle, but that's up to you, as others have mentioned, it's not used that often, but I would probably pay the extra $ to have one cut because I may be a little paranoid...
Old 03-06-09, 06:51 AM
mdk77
Driver

I think what I might do is buy a used FOB from eBay and get it programmed to my car (as a spare). I will not get the valet key cut and when I turn my car in at the end of the lease I'll just give them the original FOB I am using now.

Quick Reply: Lost Key Fob