Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Rubbing Issues Fixed - Thanks Gytis!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 08:03 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do i need to shave to run +22 offset??? 19x8.5... with 225/35 tires... with Tein SS coils?
Old 06-02-09, 08:30 AM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

Hey man. I saw your post on the TE thread. I have 19x8.5 +22 with 225/35 tires in the front on Eibach Pro-Kit IS350. It's not low like VikH, but it only rubs slightly on the fender liner at full lock. I'm not how low your Teins are, but I think I can go a little lower and be ok just modifying the fender liner. Good luck, but +22 is definitely DOPE ON A ROPE!!!
Old 06-02-09, 09:11 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
buy a newer Lexus and report back

where do you to get this done Call them and ask if they will roll the panels on a newer Lexus. I am not a Mechanic here but I can say many if not most hung up on me when I told them I had an IS350. I know I am not the only member in Chicago to experience this.

Do you take a risk doing either one? Of course anything can go wrong if you roll or shave. Shaving you have less chanced due to the process Lexus uses through MFG. Many on here have had the whole fender shaved off and had no structural problems.

Everyone on the boards told me to NOT roll the fenders on the IS and I didnt listen and found out the hard way. I do not suggest anyone to roll the fenders on a newer Lexus. Older ones yes it can be done and shops will do it.

I personally feel much more confident know mine was done by someone that does body work for a living and not some performance shop that says they have the tool and will do it.

Only speaking from experience.
I roll fenders myself, so I wouldn't know about shops hanging up on me. And you say you found out the hard way, but offer no information as to why.

Originally Posted by Gytis123
You know what then, you keep on rolling your fenders and ill keep on shaving them. How about That. Since your is300 is older the inner and outer fender setup is totally different from the newer lexus cars. The new outer quarters are glued with the inner panels where as the older cars were spot welded, so when you roll the new lexus quarters you're destroying the glue and your quarter from your inner panel could easily seperate which causes moisture to get it between panels that means RUST.So to keep a newer car structualy intact shaving is better than rolling.
Thank you for for providing a reason instead of blindly saying rolling is wrong... I was unaware that this was the case, when did lexus switch to this method?
Old 06-02-09, 02:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ill roller
Worked perfectly fine on my IS300. How could it possibly be the worst thing you can do?
Originally Posted by Gytis123
You know what then, you keep on rolling your fenders and ill keep on shaving them. How about That. Since your is300 is older the inner and outer fender setup is totally different from the newer lexus cars. The new outer quarters are glued with the inner panels where as the older cars were spot welded, so when you roll the new lexus quarters you're destroying the glue and your quarter from your inner panel could easily seperate which causes moisture to get it between panels that means RUST.So to keep a newer car structualy intact shaving is better than rolling.
Having owned both the 1gen and 2gen IS', I am going to say the fender walls are completely different along with softer paint on the latter model.
Old 06-02-09, 04:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ill roller. Get a new member to allow you to roll the fenders and I will show up to watch and take pics to see how it goes.

Gytis posted why its an issue. I dont have any pics nor do I have the car. You where the one that posted that it was best to roll the fenders and not shave. Like I said if someone wants to roll the fenders please do. Its not my car and I wont make the decision. I will share what I went through so that someone doesn't have the same issues!

Post pics of your work Do you do this for a living??
Old 06-03-09, 03:19 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

ill roller. Get a new member to allow you to roll the fenders and I will show up to watch and take pics to see how it goes.

Gytis posted why its an issue. I dont have any pics nor do I have the car. You where the one that posted that it was best to roll the fenders and not shave. Like I said if someone wants to roll the fenders please do. Its not my car and I wont make the decision. I will share what I went through so that someone doesn't have the same issues!

Post pics of your work Do you do this for a living??
If someone wants me to roll their fenders then I will, but I don't do it for work, I just do it for my personal cars, and I've helped friends with their cars. I'd prefer to just recommend they go to Touge Factory to get it done since they do fender rolling often and are better at it. As long as it's warm out, you're on point with the heatgun, and crafty with a hammer, fenders can be rolled flat with no paint damage. I had a small paint crack on the fender on my IS, but I rolled/pulled it in winter, so that was to be expected.

No up close shots, but here's my IS with rolled and very slightly pulled rear fenders (fronts are custom 20mm wide fenders):

Old 06-03-09, 04:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ so its safe to pull a fender? I would be more afraid of that taking from structural then shaving or rolling.

Your car looks great by the way!!!

EDIT:

Ill Roller I see your panels are different then the newer IS. Mine had a crease in them and yours are flat? that may also be part of the issue with rolling them. All the ballers in the 2gen IS section that rolled had to have professional body work done for the same amount you pushed your rears. I dont know why its more of a PITA but to many have confirmed this for me to stand behind it and push a fellow member to do this on a newer Lexus.

Last edited by passnu2; 06-03-09 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 05:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I also still want to see a member like Gytis, help a member on the side, and roll a newer Lexus to see how hard or easy they think it is. I want to see someone stand behind rolling the fenders not a shop. Gytis is a man of his word who is willing to test out a members IS350 and back up the work if anything goes wrong???

Here is my IS from the past and as you can see it "looks" perfect in the picture but its not!!!

Old 06-03-09, 08:13 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Hey man. I saw your post on the TE thread. I have 19x8.5 +22 with 225/35 tires in the front on Eibach Pro-Kit IS350. It's not low like VikH, but it only rubs slightly on the fender liner at full lock. I'm not how low your Teins are, but I think I can go a little lower and be ok just modifying the fender liner. Good luck, but +22 is definitely DOPE ON A ROPE!!!
i am going to be almost slammed that's my problem... lazy to adjust it already HAHA
Old 06-03-09, 11:30 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

^ so its safe to pull a fender? I would be more afraid of that taking from structural then shaving or rolling.

Your car looks great by the way!!!

EDIT:

Ill Roller I see your panels are different then the newer IS. Mine had a crease in them and yours are flat? that may also be part of the issue with rolling them. All the ballers in the 2gen IS section that rolled had to have professional body work done for the same amount you pushed your rears. I dont know why its more of a PITA but to many have confirmed this for me to stand behind it and push a fellow member to do this on a newer Lexus.
Pulling fenders is perfectly safe, because the inner lip helps the fender maintain its structure. Once you roll the lip flat you just keep pushing the fender out more and more.

What about my fenders are flat? Do you mean the crease around the edge of the fender? My car has that.
Old 06-03-09, 03:55 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I dont know. You think rolling is better and I disagree and I will leave it at that.

So far we have 5 locals that had the panels shaved with not one issue. I am the only one with a newer Lexus that had the panels rolled and the one that had a problem. I will let this be the decision factor for me and my personal cars from here forward.

I think I know what the rest will do also but no my decision to make for them
Old 06-03-09, 09:50 PM
Clark Kent
Pole Position

I love you guys!!!!
Old 06-03-09, 10:42 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

okay.... now.... i got a question... can i cut my intake box.. with what... it seems to be a thick plastic HELP.. not going to spend a lot on the F-Sport lower intake box LOL... and guys.. just a heads up... i might be going to chicago on the 8th of july..... mini meet??? and please someone.. buy neil's wheels... so he can buy mine LOL!
Old 06-04-09, 01:11 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

I dont know. You think rolling is better and I disagree and I will leave it at that.

So far we have 5 locals that had the panels shaved with not one issue. I am the only one with a newer Lexus that had the panels rolled and the one that had a problem. I will let this be the decision factor for me and my personal cars from here forward.

I think I know what the rest will do also but no my decision to make for them
I'm not arguing with you, you're ignoring my question and instead continually voicing your opinion on the subject... I agreed that the case may be different for 06+ lexus. This is a pointless discussion.
Old 06-04-09, 10:04 AM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW....I've been gone since Monday and this thread is still interesting
I'm gonna throw some popcorn in the microwave and catch up My 2 cents....
I'm really really picky and a pain in the a!! when it comes to my cars and I couldn't be any HAPPIER with my fender shave IT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE FACTORY

Quick Reply: Rubbing Issues Fixed - Thanks Gytis!