Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

IDOT, Tollway and State Police Warn Drivers to Prepare for THE SPEED TRAP JULY 1 2009

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 03:08 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys... don't worry too much. I got this chain email a couple days ago about this. When you click on the article link of the email, it's actually from March 2005.
Old 06-20-09, 08:42 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Send the link....
Old 06-20-09, 08:46 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

So the van can capture radar on your detector? I drive through that whole thing on 88 going into Naperville and never saw a van. Maybe I was going too fast to see it???
I already got a ticket for those stupid stop light camera's . Doesn't come certified mail. Comes right through USPS. Video and everything. Can't deny it. Watched my car go right through. Never did that before. ;-0
Old 06-22-09, 02:04 AM
Push
Pole Position

I'm just going to take off my plates whenever I'm on the freeway... If i get pulled over by an actual cop, I will just say my bolts broke off. I really hate speeding cameras... I already got a ticket from Arizona for $190 for doing 10 mph over the speed limit!!!!
Old 06-22-09, 04:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My step-sister's fiance got hit on 88. My mom said there was like 700 tickets issued just on 88 He has to pay the 375$ for it being the first offense and if it happens again its going to be over 1k???

I have yet to see this thing parked anywhere but I sure hope I never do!
Old 06-22-09, 08:37 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aliti19
hey guys... don't worry too much. I got this chain email a couple days ago about this. When you click on the article link of the email, it's actually from March 2005.

Aliti there is nothing fake about this why don't you do a 100 mph down 355 and tell me it's fake when you get your mail This is a very easy way for the state to get $$$$$ from people like us So don't SPEED even 1 mile over have a nice night or day
Old 06-23-09, 04:17 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Aliti there is nothing fake about this why don't you do a 100 mph down 355 and tell me it's fake when you get your mail This is a very easy way for the state to get $$$$$ from people like us So don't SPEED even 1 mile over have a nice night or day
I'm not saying to speed - just stating that the original email (with article link), which I deleted, was from 2005. All this $375 stuff has been in play for a while. Nothing new.
Old 06-24-09, 10:43 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple buddies in law enforcement and they basically told me the state needs money and has increased "Performance Standards" for officers to generate revenue.
Old 06-24-09, 11:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ yea I heard they are targeting RED 4 Door sedans that have Aero-Kits on them. I was so close to getting that kit for my car

The point here Brian loves Subway
Old 06-24-09, 01:48 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aliti19
I'm not saying to speed - just stating that the original email (with article link), which I deleted, was from 2005. All this $375 stuff has been in play for a while. Nothing new.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw this last year too. You can see in the letter it still has Rod Blagojevich as the Governor and has a quote hinting at their goals for 2008, which was obviously last year.

With that being said, they did follow through last year and put the ticket camera vans on the highways.

Lets just be smart guys, nuff said.
Old 06-25-09, 05:28 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Hey guys, our local news station did a story about road construction and the chain mail going around. And we can also get ticketed even though there are no workers present

Video of the report:
http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/49053111.html

And this summer, "Big Brother" will be back, ready to snap pictures of speeding drivers in work zones.
It's a summer tradition on Illinois highways: Driving through construction zones.
"We give you plenty of warning that you shouldn't be surprised that you're coming up on a construction zone," said Sgt. Mark Nytko with District 16 Illinois State Police.
But what may surprise you is a ticket in your mailbox, originating from a white surveillance van like this snapping a picture of you speeding.
"You need to slow down basically," Sgt. Nytko said.
Those vans will be back again this summer. Violators could face a $375 fine the first offense.
Then $1,000 the second time and a 90-day license suspension.
Recently, there's been a chain email going around saying police will ticket drivers even if they're going one mile over the limit in a work zone. But authorities here at Illinois State Police District 16 say that's not the case.
"We don't do that. That hasn't been the state police policy," Sgt. Nytko said.
He says a ticket's more likely starting at five to ten miles over the limit.
A big relief for some Stateline drivers like Roberto Ibarra.
"One mile over, $350, $375, no," Ibarra said.
But others like Richard Warner say bring on tighter restrictions.
"It's unsafe for people that are working and we should keep that in mind most of all," Warner said.
As for the photo enforcement vans, Sargent Nytko didn't know when they'd be coming to the Stateline area.
But published reports out of Springfield indicate they've already started in places like Chicago and Champaign-Urbana.
State law does say that you could get a ticket in a construction zone even if workers aren't there.
State Senator Dave Syverson says there is some concern about that but no immediate plans to change it.
Old 06-25-09, 06:59 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

My opinion...unless you're a total idiot(or legally blind)...you shouldn't get a ticket from the "Van." getting nabbed by a state trooper in a work-zone is probably a different story...

http://www.dot.state.il.us/safetyEng...eet_032608.pdf

When would photo speed enforcement be in use?

Photo speed enforcement by an automated traffic control system may operate only during those periods when workers are present in the construction or maintenance zone, day or night.

When workers are behind Temporary Concrete Barrier (TCB) can photo speed enforcement be used?

Photo enforcement legislation requires workers to be present. While Temporary Concrete Barriers provide positive protection for workers, they are not impenetrable. Vehicles have hit and broken through TCB, causing injury to workers. Also, lane width restrictions may require reduced speed limits to ensure the safety of the motorists. For these reasons, photo enforcement may be used when workers are present.

Will a special sign have to be in place for photo speed enforcement to be used?

Yes. Signs indicating that speeds are photo enforced by automated traffic control systems will be clearly posted in the area where the systems may be in use.

Do I have an opportunity to slow down before the camera takes my picture?

Yes. In addition, the vans will have a speed indicator device that will be triggered by a separate radar and will communicate
the vehicle's speed to the motorist. This will give the motorist one last opportunity to slow down before the camera radar is triggered. If the motorist does not slow down, the camera radar will be triggered. A photo of the driver, vehicle, and license plate will be taken. The time of day and speed will also be captured
Old 06-25-09, 01:12 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ yea I heard they are targeting RED 4 Door sedans that have Aero-Kits on them. I was so close to getting that kit for my car

The point here Brian loves Subway
IT IS SO SANDWICH TIME!!!!
Old 06-25-09, 10:18 PM
THMotor
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by illini19
They have been doing this for a while now on 355. My brother told me the story the other day. He's never home because he is a firefighter and one day came home and saw a note from the post office saying he has a registered letter so he went and got it and there it was, photos of him and his car and a nice $750.00 ticket for doing 70 in a 45 on 355 (near lisle). He called his lawyer friend and his lawyer knew all about it and said he would have to go to court with him becuase going that fast is a suspension and he would help him get the fine down to the minimum of $375.00 and no suspension. Crazy stuff. I drive on 83 to 88 to 294. ALL CONSTRUCTION all the way to Glenview every day. Time to go slow in a fast car
I drive that same route! There was a van on NB 294 about 1 mile before the willow rd exit. I saw it snapping pics of the people in front of me and i slammed on my brakes.

The only other time i've seen one was on IB 94 last summer when they were doing all that work.
Old 06-26-09, 11:24 AM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by THMotor
I drive that same route! There was a van on NB 294 about 1 mile before the willow rd exit. I saw it snapping pics of the people in front of me and i slammed on my brakes.

The only other time i've seen one was on IB 94 last summer when they were doing all that work.
Nick, I saw the same Van yesterday. It was just sitting there on the right side with the large speed indicator showing you your speed. I was kind of shielded by a large semi in the right lane but I don't think I was going faster than 50 at the time.

Quick Reply: IDOT, Tollway and State Police Warn Drivers to Prepare for THE SPEED TRAP JULY 1 2009