Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

ML Sub - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 05:38 AM
epstns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Sub - couple of questions

Hi, folks. Been a CL member a while, but never checked into the Chicago forum.

I have a 2001 LS430 with ML sound system (NO nav), and have finally blown the stock sub. I am looking for the following:

1. Which speakers, currently available, are the closest to "drop-in" fit for the 8-inch sub? (I've read that the impedance is either 12 or 16 Ohms - anyone know for sure?) I may want to add an amp later, but for now, it will be just a new sub.

2. Can anyone suggest a good shop in the northwest suburban area (Des Plaines, Rolling Meadows, Schaumburg, etc.) who can do the sub replacement for a "very picky" customer? (Picky as in the car is over 8 years old and looks like new.) Prefer a shop that has done LS before, I really don't want to have to teach them myself. . .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've posted in the Lexus Electronics forum and had no replies, so I thought I would try the locals.
Old 10-23-09, 04:22 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I have heard good things about Abt Electronics in Glenview. However, it will not be cheap. You pay for quality.
Old 10-23-09, 04:34 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the ohms is the same for an aftermarket sub utilizing the oem Levinson amp. Most Levinson subs blow sadly enough.
Old 10-23-09, 06:59 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my friend has a BNIB replacement sub. actually like 3 of em. lol.

he has an ls430. blew his. was only able to replace it if he bought like 3 or 4.

if you are interested i can ask him for more details about it. i can also install it
Old 10-26-09, 06:01 AM
epstns
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Vik - I know about Abt, been a customer there for decades. They are on my list of shops to contact.
Brian - I understand what you mean about the speaker impedance. I'm an electronics hobbyist, so I know what you warn is important.
jzz30 - Thanks for the offer. See next item. . .

Right now my plan is to stay with an aftermarket 8-inch sub, to be able to keep the look totally stock and not lose any trunk space. Also, I think the aftermarket sub "might" last longer. I plan to also install a small amp (100-200 watts) to drive the new sub, because then I can be sure the speaker impedance is matched to the amp, and also that the sub has plenty of power to operate properly. I installed a setup like this in my ES300, and it did a great job with no fuss to install. This time, though, I am looking for a shop to do the work, as I don't really want to go through it myself right now.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-26-09, 03:29 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by epstns
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Vik - I know about Abt, been a customer there for decades. They are on my list of shops to contact.
Brian - I understand what you mean about the speaker impedance. I'm an electronics hobbyist, so I know what you warn is important.
jzz30 - Thanks for the offer. See next item. . .

Right now my plan is to stay with an aftermarket 8-inch sub, to be able to keep the look totally stock and not lose any trunk space. Also, I think the aftermarket sub "might" last longer. I plan to also install a small amp (100-200 watts) to drive the new sub, because then I can be sure the speaker impedance is matched to the amp, and also that the sub has plenty of power to operate properly. I installed a setup like this in my ES300, and it did a great job with no fuss to install. This time, though, I am looking for a shop to do the work, as I don't really want to go through it myself right now.

I'll keep you posted.
You sound like you know what you are doing and I feel you will have no problem. At least ML utilizes the 4 ohm set-up for factory premium sound. Bose messes with ohms, and makes this very difficult to modify. Go for an aftermarket 8" and aftermarket amp for the sub only.