Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Help a California brother winterize his car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 02:24 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a California brother winterize his car.

I have a 2009 335i that my son is driving in Illinois. Other than washer fluids what else? Antifreeze? etc?
Old 11-04-09, 05:01 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the car going in storage or ready for cold driving conditions?

If he is driving the car:
1. Decent All season tires if not winters. BMW, IMO, is much better in the snow then Lexus. He could get away with all season but snow tires cant hurt of course.

2. Antifreeze mixture

3. Good snow brush

4. Remote start

Really not to much needs to be done. Its a newer car so battery should be good along with everything else. I assume he has road side assitance with BMW so really all bases should be covered unless someone else can think of something I missed.
Old 11-04-09, 05:39 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

With the torque in that car, winter tires will most likely be needed. Unless he can drive and control his foot. Remote start would be great too, cmon dad hook him up!!!!
Old 11-04-09, 06:10 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would personally stick with BMW antifreeze. They use a blue silicate and phosphate free formula with integrated water pump lubricant. Sure. the new Prestone is compatible, but will dilute lubricant. I would not bother changing this coolant if you have under 25k and not less than 3 years old. 2009 is too early to worry about this.
Old 11-04-09, 06:59 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

DEFINITELY winter tires. Check out craigslist - there are always some great deals a a nice set.
Old 11-04-09, 07:02 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Illinois weather can be pretty rough so I'd recommend some good winter tires. Blizzak LM-25s or Michelin Pilot Alpin PS3... nothing less. You might want to buy some rubber floor mats, and some wipers for the winter. I always use a different set of windshield wipers in the winter.
Old 11-04-09, 10:40 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, its xdrive. And i have him running on a used winter tires. Does he need to add antifreeze to his coolant? or will there be enough already?
Old 11-05-09, 06:04 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
Okay, its xdrive. And i have him running on a used winter tires. Does he need to add antifreeze to his coolant? or will there be enough already?
I would simply pick up BMW antifreeze at the dealer's parts department and add yourself on a cold engine. You will see a level indicator in the reservoir (overflow tank).
Old 11-05-09, 09:57 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

The most important thing I would say is the battery and snow tires, seems like you've got both covered...
Old 11-07-09, 04:42 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by f=ma
xDrive will make no difference at all when it comes to stopping.
Old 11-08-09, 06:26 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a difference (I'm told) between winter tires and snow tires.... In IL you need snow tires (in my opinion).
Old 11-08-09, 02:43 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
There's a difference (I'm told) between winter tires and snow tires.... In IL you need snow tires (in my opinion).
There is no difference between winter tires and snow tires. You do, however, have two types of winter tires: snow and ice. A snow tire is more for someone who does a lot of city driving whilst an ice tire is suited for someone who does mostly highway driving. Ice tires are, however, generally higher quality and offer the best of both worlds whilst snow tires typically are the generic brands that you find at Wal-Mart.

Your son will probably be forced to buy Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, which are V-rated winter tires, that are excellent in snowy and icy conditions.
Old 11-09-09, 04:37 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Plug: I'm selling my winter tires/rims from my ISF if you are interested, Blizzack LM-25. If you would like details, let me know.

Mike
Old 11-12-09, 11:27 AM
jmkiang
Calf Implant Beta Tester

Will you be my daddy too?
Old 11-16-09, 02:55 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
There is no difference between winter tires and snow tires. You do, however, have two types of winter tires: snow and ice. A snow tire is more for someone who does a lot of city driving whilst an ice tire is suited for someone who does mostly highway driving. Ice tires are, however, generally higher quality and offer the best of both worlds whilst snow tires typically are the generic brands that you find at Wal-Mart.

Your son will probably be forced to buy Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25s or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, which are V-rated winter tires, that are excellent in snowy and icy conditions.
Sorry for the delay in responding. If you read the latest issue of Car & Driver you'll notice that they categorize winter performance tires as a category and snow/ice tires as another. That's what I was referring to.

Quick Reply: Help a California brother winterize his car.