Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Midwest Dealership Willing to Negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 11:34 AM
LnclnPrkr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Dealership Willing to Negotiate

I'm in the process of buying my first Lexus - 2009 ES 350- and have found the Lexus dealers in other areas of the country (NY, FL) are asking significantly less for what appear to be similar used cars (year, miles, features, clean carfax, etc),

Have other users found the Chicago area to be more expensive or is it that you just need to do more negotiating in the midwest? If so is there a midwest dealer people have found willing to deal if you walk in the door ready to buy?

The particular car Im considering is at a Lexus dealer out of the NYC area and appears to be about 4-5 less then what I can find here even with shipping (and its not the sole 2009 in that $$ range in NY). Would much rather walk into a local dealer and have them try to match the price but for 4k I can take a plane ride.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-12, 01:56 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

I can help you with your purchase. I know alot of people at McGrath Lexus of Westmont.
Old 01-23-12, 01:58 PM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

What are the Year, Miles, Nav of the one your looking at in NY?
Old 01-25-12, 11:56 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's lots of factors that go into the pricing of a car and location is obviously one of them. When I was purchasing my first car, I didn't think of looking any farther than 100 miles since I wanted to see the car in person. I bought a '07 IS350 with 49,XXX miles for $20,300 more than a year ago and that was the cheapest price within 300 miles. I bought from a third-party dealer and that is probably cheaper to do so. If I were in your situation, I'd go visit the dealer and show them the prices of the other cars and try to negotiate with them. Also, my car was listed at $26K when I first went for sale. It didn't sell in like 5 months and they dropped $5K and I negotiated $700 less.

What I'd do in this same situation is go to the dealer and not show that I'm ready to buy and tell them I found better prices and get them to lower theirs and that I'm ready to buy if I can only get the price I want. If not, might as well take a nice trip to New York and still save like $3K in the end. Good luck and I hope AlphaMotor can help you with the hook-up lol.
Old 01-29-12, 10:33 AM
BigRgt109
Driver School Candidate

I had a family friend do this at a jeep dealership. She showed them the price of a car from another state and said she wouldn't walk out until she got it at the price. She was at the dealership for hours. Eventually walked out the guy called next day and ask her she wanted to buy the car at her asking price and on top of that other stuff. When i get to buy a car from dealer I know I'm taking her with me. It was like $4000 or $5000 dollars cheaper. Just depends on much the dealership wants the sale.
Old 01-30-12, 06:47 AM
LnclnPrkr
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your input, I'm so glad I found this board. The more I look at prices the more I realize a trip to NY or FL might be worth the time.

AlphaMotor thank you so much for your offer, i live close to the other McGrath dealer, and this would be the ideal situation. I will send you the specifics directly.
Old 02-13-12, 09:00 AM
LnclnPrkr
Driver School Candidate

Bought a 2009 with navigation, clean carfax, 1 yr of warranty left and 21k miles in color I liked for 21,900 this weekend at a Lexus dealer in NY. McGrath is asking 29k for a similar car so I'm generally pretty happy. I take it with a grain of salt but the dealer claimed they paid 23k.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 02-13-12, 07:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Granted it is a newer car and all, but buying even a nice car such as a Lexus from New York or that area (not that Chicago is much better), can be risky... Most cars I see in our shop that are from the New York area are plagued with much more rust and problem areas than cars even from the snowy midwest area...

If buying sight unseen, you are much better off buying a car from somewhere like Texas than New York, price being the same or similar...
Old 02-14-12, 06:29 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

I bought new from Wisconsin. Could not get any sort of deals in Illinois but I also did not know anyone at the dealers.