Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Anyone have good experiences at shops other than A&L for paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 04:53 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone have good experiences at shops other than A&L for paint?

I went to A&L out in Palatine today for paint quotes. I needed a front lip painted and was quoted $188. That's more than what other shops want but I'm willing to do it since I heard so much good stuff about them.

I also wanted new fenders and a bumper. Got new ones after the accident I got into but the paint shop I went to did a bad job. It's fine really but I'm tired of the paint runs and chips even though they aren't too noticeable. They wanted $270 to paint a single new fender. One place quoted me $80. Is $270 to paint one fender a reasonable price?

Anyone have other recommendations of good places for paint? It's for an Obsidian Black color IS350.
Old 04-06-12, 07:10 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you don't care for the price,boyce here in naperville is highly recommended.
Old 04-06-12, 08:21 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go anywhere else other than A&L.
Old 04-07-12, 05:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I saw A&L's work on another car not to long ago and it looked horrible. Overspray and all kinds of issues. Granted no one is perfect but I was shocked to see that kind of quality with all I see posted.

Boyce has earned my business for life. Everyone I have sent to them has been very satisfied. This is an area that you "don't" want to be cheap!!
Old 04-07-12, 05:47 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thing I will say about A&L is that the manager (Anthony- family owned) is very approachable and fair. From my experience with Anthony, any obvious defect or poor quality, he would own up to it and make it better. I didn't have any issues with A&L. It was their next door business partner/neighbor that I had issues with, but that's for another day....

I know it sounds corny and everyone has heard of it before, but judge a place by the type of customers they attract. Besides tuners, they also work on a lot of exotics (saw a Lambo and R8). A family staff member gave me a ride home after I dropped my car and during our conversation, I found out that Porsche owners are the most ****/difficult owners to please...lol. To me, that's anecdotal evidence that they have the experience and high standards.

Lastly, this is from experience years ago, but when it comes to a body shop, don't always go to the cheapest place or haggle for a cheaper price. Going to the cheapest place is already risky, but if you haggle for a cheaper price even from a reputable shop, guess who's going to paint your car? Yes, the new employee that they're trying to get some more minutes for will be spraying your car. When it comes to any "service" business, you rarely get the same quality for a cheaper price.

Nothing personal, but ask yourself again, if price is really the sticking point.

Autowerks also does good body work and have a good staff. And if you do go, please do not ask for sponsorship or haggle with price. That will offend the hell out of the owner, who doesn’t seem to care who walks in the door….lol.
Old 04-07-12, 05:59 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Well, there are definitely some shops out there that can do very good paint jobs but not at a high price. That's what I'm trying to find out if anyone might know of those. A&L I see has lots of nice cars regardless whether workers own them or customers. As soon as I arrived, I saw a GT-R, a few Porsches, and MANY BMWs. I was the only Lexus there though.

I want a good quality paint job but care somewhat about the price. Two local shops I considered for my bumper and fender. My friend went to one to have his lip and sideskirts painted. They did it pretty cheap but I didn't like the quality. So I spent more at another shop that had better reviews and I was okay with the paint job. That is, until I washed my car for the first time since getting it painted and noticed that the parts weren't as glossy as my original paint, the fender has paint runs, and the bumper looked like they buffed through the clearcoat. I didn't complain and just want new fenders and bumpers to get painted better this time.
Old 04-07-12, 06:22 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's funny about the BMWs, I felt weird too....hahaha! If only IND specialize in Japanese too....
Old 04-08-12, 07:02 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone to A&L. They painted my ground-up rebuild of my wife's S2000. They did an amazing job on the new color. My S2000 is going to through a ground-up rebuild as well, they'll be painting it and doing the custom body work I want them to do as well.

My IS350 needs a lip kit, wing, and some general touch up paint to be done. A&L will get my business for the Lexus as well; the Lexus is Black Sapphire Pearl (FYI).
Old 04-08-12, 07:25 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Boyce is a certified Lexus Repair Center for what its worth.