Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

wtf? failed the emissions test!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 11:14 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf? failed the emissions test!

i have an 08 is250, 37,800 miles. took the emissions test today and did not pass, i was thinking to myself how is that possible. the only things done recently in the past 3 months was a new f-sport exhaust and springs. i always put premum gas in it. i did disconnect the battery yesterday when doing a lighting mod, but dont think that would be the issue. i drove the car yesterday and today so comnputer had to be working fine as far as reseting itself. no check engine lights or any at all. i was driving home from indiana last wek and the car backfired one time going about 55mph. any thoughts on whats happening? and i will be taking it in to mcgrath, where i purchased it tomorrow. i have an extended warranty till 2017
Old 06-25-12, 02:50 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly did you failed on? What did they say? If you don't have CEL, then why did they fail you? Don't tell me it was your exhaust?
Old 06-25-12, 03:04 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PurduePete
What exactly did you failed on? What did they say? If you don't have CEL, then why did they fail you? Don't tell me it was your exhaust?
paperwork said" heated oxygen sensor" not ready
Old 06-25-12, 03:17 PM
Nissayota
Driver School Candidate

That's because the exhaust. Put a spacer on the sensor and you are done... No cel or anything... Get a sparkplug spacer from your local parts store and screw your sensor in it, then put it in the exhaust...
Old 06-25-12, 03:51 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nissayota
That's because the exhaust. Put a spacer on the sensor and you are done... No cel or anything... Get a sparkplug spacer from your local parts store and screw your sensor in it, then put it in the exhaust...
will the dealer figure this out? and of course ill tell them that.
Old 06-25-12, 06:36 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nissayota
if you are refering to the oxygen sensor on the exhaust , what will a spacer accomplish? and shouldnt the dealer have done that at the time of the f-sport exhaust install
Old 06-25-12, 07:37 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

If you unplugged the battery yesterday and haven't put enough drive time in since, your ECU is still in 'check' mode.

It doesn't matter that your CEL isn't on. Give it a few more miles, a few more heat cycles.....it'll be fine.

If you have a straight pipe with an O2 sensor directly in the exhaust flow that's seeing too much heat, you'd have gotten a CEL a bit ago. If you don't have it spaced out using a splarkplug spacer, do it....the carbon build up on the O2 will kill the sensor sooner than later. Those sensors are expensives.
Old 06-25-12, 08:03 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You only got the F-Sport exhaust and you should be able to pass. Like Luder94 said, it's because of your battery. You need to complete a "drive cycle" to get all the emission components ready. People back then just unplugged the battery to get rid of any CELs so this drive cycle will allow the CEL to possibly reappear again. The people at the testing facility should have told you what to do but just bring it back in a week or two under regular driving conditions and you should pass.
Old 06-25-12, 08:34 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

i never had a cel light on though. but i guess it is due to it needing thr drive cycle, so i guess going to the dealer should wait a few more days?
Old 06-25-12, 08:37 PM
sjlee
Driver School Candidate

Putting a spacer for a O2 sensor isnt going to do anything. Has no effect on newer cars particularly '04 and up for most vehicles. If your car is building too much carbon, it needs to be checked out anyway before other things get worse.

Your monitors for some of your sensors arent on yet. You need to complete a drive cycle like chi123 said. Or take it to mcgrath and see if they can trigger all your monitors for you which requires a drive cycle too. But wont take as long. Otherwise you're gonna have to drive it for a few more miles and hope you trigger all required monitors for emission purposes.
Old 06-25-12, 09:39 PM
s2k636
Driver

If your check engine is not on, you don't need to put the spacer. Just like mentioned above, you'll need to give it time and drive around. GL
Old 06-26-12, 09:42 AM
birador
Lead Lap

steve update us what is the result of your visit to mcgrath.
Old 06-26-12, 09:52 AM
Nissayota
Driver School Candidate

Are you getting a cel code for the exhaust??? If so, that mean that the O2 sensor is reading too much after the cats . Putting a spacer on the sensor will space it away from the free flowing exhaust and make it read a bit less. I had an S2000 and installed a mugen exhaust at the dealer and got the cel for the exhaust.

Just because the dealer installed it doesn't mean that it will be like factory.
Old 06-26-12, 10:00 AM
linus73
Lead Lap

no cel light ever, even after new exhaust.
Old 06-26-12, 10:53 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its not the FSport Lexus couldnt sell it if you had to mess with emissions. Only thing that would trip is a test pipe with out an o2 extension. sounds like either the ECU reset or its possible the o2 sensor is going and its a pending code that hasn't tripped your CEL.

Can you clear the codes and see if they come back?

Quick Reply: wtf? failed the emissions test!