Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

New Tires / New Alignment - Hard Pull to Left / Shakes at 80+

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 08:09 AM
mdk77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tires / New Alignment - Hard Pull to Left / Shakes at 80+

New tires from Costco (970AS Potenza's), new alignment from Lexus. It still pulls hard to the left on the highway. Also, 80+ and the wheel / car shakes.

any ideas? I researched on here but didn't see much.
Old 01-05-14, 06:59 PM
daily400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly bad tires/ in correct balance. I'd put my $ on incorrect balance
Old 01-11-14, 07:54 PM
mdk77
Driver

Thanks. I actually went back to CostCo and they rotated the tires thinking this would fix it. It didn't. I then switched out the tires for Michelin pilot a/s 3's. Much better. Less shake and almost no pull.

But still…there's a slight shake at 80. It is driving me f'ing nuts. When I had my original OEMs, I never had this issue. The ride was always like glass regardless of speed. After trying two sets of tires and the car just doesn't handle the same.

Regarding the balance suggestion, do tires get balanced with you get a alignment done or are these two different adjustments?
Old 01-12-14, 08:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Two different adjustments...

Balance is only as good as the person doing it... You're on factory wheels, I assume?

If rotating tires doesn't fix a pull, then the tires aren't the issue and IMO, you gave up the best all season performance tire for the second best...

Just because it was aligned doesn't mean the alignment is perfect - just like balancing, it is only as good as the technician doing the work... Even if everything is within specs, a car can still pull or not drive straight...

This is where it pays to have tires done at the same place as alignment - then all you have to do is say "fix it" - instead you are getting the back and forth...

Both balancing and alignment are almost an art form - anyone can be taught do it, but very few do a real good job of it...
Old 01-13-14, 06:59 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Is your car lowered?
Are you running OEM wheels?
Old 01-13-14, 10:30 AM
daily400
Pole Position

Alignment needed
Old 01-15-14, 07:12 PM
mdk77
Driver

Thanks for the replies.

Car isn't lowered and it is original OEM wheels. Bone stock everything (except new tires obviously).

Regarding alignment, I had alignment done when I had the first set put on (the set that shook like hell), I haven't gotten an alignment since I got the Michelins put on. That said, should I get the car aligned again? It's only been a few weeks. Would hate to have to spent another 150 bucks.

Sounds like I also need to get the tires balanced in addition to the alignment. Not sure what that runs.

Since I got my tires at CostCo, they offer free tire balancing for the life of the tires but I am hesitant as I don't have much confidence in those technicians (no offense to anyone on here). At this point I am willing to do just about anything to get my car back in top highway shape.
Old 01-16-14, 06:09 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

OK, so, two things can cause a pull, one is tires, the other is steering/suspension problems which includes alignment...

Two things cause a shake - bad tire or not mounted on the wheel the best way, or, tire out of balance...

$150 for an alignment??? Most shops charge $60-$80 and do as good if not better job... I'd take it back to both places and complain about both issues, have the tires rotated to eliminate the possibility of a tire pull (chances of two tires on one car causing a pull are pretty slim) and have the alignment checked and request a printout of the specs both before and after... All services should be under warranty and free.

There is one concern though, you aren't the only one that's complained about Pilot Sport A/S pulling, there are a number of accounts in the tires subforum here and I've seen it firsthand as well...
Old 01-17-14, 07:35 AM
ChiLexus10
Rookie

Get rid of the crappy Costco brand tires and get a balance and lifetime warranty at Firestone . ur problem is the tires and balancing.
Old 01-17-14, 11:07 AM
mdk77
Driver

I will probably complain to the store manager at CostCo but the last time I complained they stated they aren't "mechanics" and couldn't explain my problem. I got tires at CostCo to save $$$ but now i know where it goes. Bummer.

I wonder if I called Michelin directly?
Old 01-17-14, 11:08 AM
mdk77
Driver

Also, I saw the same comments about the a/s 30's and pulling although the pull isn't that noticeable. The shake when on the highway is what my main issue is. It can be felt in the steering wheel, seats, and shifter.
Old 07-23-19, 05:54 PM
timrudy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My issue was a bent rear rim. It was misleading the Hunter Laser alignment system. I checked the runout on the outside, but it wasn't until I checked the inside of the right rear wheel with a dial indicator that it was apparent. If you have the tires balanced, any tech worth his salt should her able to detect this issue. $2700 later Im back in business. I'll get the original rear wheel straightened and keep it as a spare, but I doubt I will ever need it because Ive switched to non run flat tires and its as smooth as silk now. The run flat tires are just to stiff in the sidewall which translates to more road violence applied to the rim.