Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Do it Yourself Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 09:00 AM
tina792
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do it Yourself Detailing

Do any of you detail your own cars? I know it's easier to have someone else do it but hey I have no job this summer so I've got tons of time to clean up my own ride

I was wondering what kinds of products you all use and like. I've mostly used Meguiar's on previous vehicles with great results. I know some people swear by Zymol, Mothers, etc. And what about those cleaning clay bars? Useful or useless? Same question about that spray on wax stuff. Inside, I tend to stick with Armor All products. On the tires, I use Tire Wet - I'm a sucker for that wet tire look but try to wipe off the excess as much as possible

Anyway, I live in a 45 story condo building in the city and don't have a lot of space to store a hundred different products, buffers and crap in. I usually take my car to a hand car wash then go out to the lakefront and have at it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 06-16-03, 09:39 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't let anyone touch my gs the ls on the other hand i'll take just about anywhere if i really need it cleaned if not i do it myself. claybars are good to use if you need to clean your paint(overspray, road kill, gunk) i use the zymol wash and wax stuff, mothers claybar kit, and everything else is meguiars. it's a process and it can take up a lot of time. on the outside of the car alone i can spend up to nine hours you should check with your building to see if they have a car wash stall so you can do it there. i live in a mid-rise and we have a stall for that. for any specific info don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by 2Lexos; 06-16-03 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-16-03, 10:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Tina,

Just wanted to make sure you knew we had a forum on ClubLexus dedicated to Automotive Care & Detailing where many of your questions have been discussed!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/for...s=&forumid=122
Old 06-16-03, 10:05 AM
2Lexos

hey tina, was that picture of your rx taken at belmont harbor......?
Old 06-16-03, 01:53 PM
tina792
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2Lexos
hey tina, was that picture of your rx taken at belmont harbor......?
Montrose Harbor - you were close!

No car wash stall in this %^$& building Kind of surprising since it's riddled with old people who would probably love a service like that. Oh well, I'm moving next year - to another building that will most likely have no car wash stall. No biggie, though. I've always done my own cars and have been known to spend hours and hours on them...guess I'm a tomboy
Old 06-16-03, 02:13 PM
2Lexos

ah, yes i see it now....i've been trying to find some nice photo ops with a lake view and it's kind of hard to get the car that close to the water.....
Old 06-16-03, 08:54 PM
DIrEctQL

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tina, the best stuff for your car is Zaino Brothers. It's not really wax, but it's incredible on the car. The results look as if the car was wet. Take a look at the samples on the website below. Problem with this stuff is that it takes the whole day to dry out and the more layers of that stuff you put on the better the car looks. So in the end it could take days for you to be done with it....

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I have some of it in my garage but I never used it because of the painful and time consuming process of putting that stuff on.

Chris