Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Chicago Area Tune Shops

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 12:14 PM
dalexit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Area Tune Shops

I own a 2001 Lexus GS430. When I bought the car is had a Swift Racing Technologies intake and an acceleration chip.

A few months ago my cats went bad and I may have replaced the center part with pipes for the time being. I am looking to get a tune to just get my check engine light to turn off. I do not know if this would be possible to done with a access port and a re-flash or would a full ECU tune be needed? Are their any shops in the area that specializes in Lexus?

I have received a rough quote for $1500 for a full ECU tune with a mild performance tune. Is this going to pretty standard?
Old 10-26-19, 02:44 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts

Lexus/Toyota ECUs pre-2006 cannot be tuned. Their fuel and timing maps are burned onto chips that are soldered to the main boards in the ECU. While 90s Hondas and Nissans can be chipped, Toyotas cannot. Denso never allowed the aftermarket access to the tech to make chips for Toyota ecus.

The factory ECU has a limited ability to adapt to modifications. The SRT intake you have came with a companion "black box" (MAF translator) device wired into it, either by the intake or into the ECU. I don't know what that "acceleration chip" is you speak of. That sounds like some of those ebay "snake oil" devices that say they add horsepower but do nothing.

There's 2 ways to add tunable power to these cars. One is a piggyback ecu. Something as simple as an APEXi SAFC or as complex as a MAP3ecu. These devices can alter fuel, or fuel & timing, while still retaining the factory ECU for control of things like TRC and the transmission.
The 2nd way to make power is a full standalone ECU (EMS). This will net you the most power, but is also the most expensive route. The more you want the EMS to behave like a stock ecu the more expensive it gets.

If that price quoted to you includes a lower priced EMS + some dyno tuning, then that sounds about right.

If you want to make the CEL lights go away since you deleted the cats, put some O2 spacers on them. That shouldn't cost you more than $40 or so.
Old 10-26-19, 02:49 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts

There isn't one shop that's dedicated to Lexus/Toyota cars here in Chicagoland, but there are a few places in the Chicago area that have worked with Toyota/Lexus V8 motors.

Sound Performance (Bensenville) has worked on a few supercharged 1UZ/3UZ cars in the past.
MXPI (Schaumburg) has done a couple 1UZ swaps into other Toyotas.