CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Anyone tried Hele Wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 10:12 PM
LXIGRL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I just pick one up today. Starting my 2 week trial. You actually have to pay for it up front, then you have 2 weeks to decide if you want to keep it or not. Within 2 weeks you can return it, but you forfeit the $35 activation fee unless you return it within 1 week for a full refund.

So far I have 1-2 bars here at my work place about in the center of a cement filled building with tons of computer equipment around. This is actually pretty good. I did a network speed test and got about a 1.2 MB download speed and about a 125kb upload speed. Not lighting fast, but more than enough to surf the web and posts here on CL like I'm doing now That was pretty much all I wanted. I just wanted something very portable and mobile and that worked at my work place. So far so good. I'll try different places within this 1 week (1 Week because I rather have a full refund), but it seems like it is acceptable for what I wanted so I'll probably keep it.

I'll update with the locations I test this Hele out so if others here want to know where and how well it works in certain areas they have a little idea. I wont go all over the Island though just mostly in Honolulu and perhaps on the windward side when I go to my dad's house.
Thanks for the info..... I might consider HELE versus my VERIZON CARD it's much cheaper..... Looking forward to your updates.....
Old 12-04-08, 10:25 PM
sc400808
Pole Position

If you go to the Mobi in Mililani, talk to the Mgr Amber. Tell her Josh the old security boss sent you. She might be able to give you a good deal. I have the net at home with my cable so I dont need it, but Ive heard its pretty good.
Old 12-06-08, 12:43 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So far I get good reception all over town, at Pearl Ridge, at my dad's house in Kahaluu, all over Kaneohe except for a few pockets on Kam Highway a little past Pineapple Hut headed back toward Kaneohe. It drops out there for about a half mile, then looses RevA. and drops down to 1X speed. Over H3 I get good reception at least half way up on town side, then it drops down to 1X speed right before the tunnel. Picks of RevA. again about 1/4 mile past the first tunnel on Kaneohe side.

As for indoors, I've only been able to test it at my work at One Archer Lane which is right by HECO across of Straub on King St. In the middle of my building I get 1-2 bars (4 Bars is max) and get 3-4 bars as I move closer to the edges of the building.

The cool thing is it holds a good reception and can still transfer data while on the move.
Old 12-06-08, 01:32 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

imo, it sounds doable...
Old 12-10-08, 05:22 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the latest update Chris? Its been over a week and I'm just curious if you returned it or keeping it?
Old 12-10-08, 09:04 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to keep it. Almost everywhere I have gone I get high speed EVDO REV A speed even if my bar reception meter shows as low as 1 bar. If it does drop down to 1X speed, it does get pretty slow at about EDGE speed, but at least it still works. So far, the only place were I lost reception was inside Hawaii Self Storage in my storage unit on the 3rd floor. I had low speed reception for a while, then I lost it. Anyway, for a mobile modem its hard to beat especially for $34/month and no contract. You pay month to month.
Old 12-10-08, 09:37 PM
LXIGRL
Lead Lap

I'm going to keep it. Almost everywhere I have gone I get high speed EVDO REV A speed even if my bar reception meter shows as low as 1 bar. If it does drop down to 1X speed, it does get pretty slow at about EDGE speed, but at least it still works. So far, the only place were I lost reception was inside Hawaii Self Storage in my storage unit on the 3rd floor. I had low speed reception for a while, then I lost it. Anyway, for a mobile modem its hard to beat especially for $34/month and no contract. You pay month to month.
Thanks for the info..... Great report.....
Old 12-11-08, 08:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Staying at Ihilani for the night. In the room on the 4th floor I'm getting 0-2 bars but still getting about 1235kb/s download. Upload is a crawl at 65 kb/s though. Not sure if its the bad weather. We'll see how it goes tomorrow if/when it clears up.
Old 12-11-08, 08:27 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

Anyway, for a mobile modem its hard to beat especially for $34/month and no contract. You pay month to month.
true.........
Old 12-13-08, 01:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent signal at everyone's favorite meeting place, Kakaako Park
Old 12-26-08, 10:42 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Finally got home after about 1.5 hours in traffic. Not bad at all considering we were at Ala Moana when the power went out. Traffic right around Ala Moana was real bad, but once we got onto Ala Moana/Nimitz it moved fairly well. No internet from my Road Runner or Clear Wre, but I'm posting this using the Hele card
Old 01-27-09, 10:58 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Had to bring up this old thread. Any long term reports on this card Chris?

I'm thinking of getting a mobi card now. Clearwire is just a pain to lug around and keep my car running while I use it. The special is still there, 2 weeks free, $20/mo for 3 months, then $34.99 after that.

Let me know if there's anything I should be aware of or questions I should be asking.

Thanks
Old 01-27-09, 06:25 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Funny you should bring this back up. I'm on it right now and for some reason today I can't connect to the higher speed REV-A (CMDA's 3G) so I'm only getting low speed 1xRTT which is pretty slow. Reception strength is also down so maybe they are having issues right now. We'll see how it goes later on this evening. I think I was fine earlier this morning though so something must be up. Can't be the area since I'm right in Moiliili at the corner of King and University Ave.

Other than that though its still good for me. You might want to ask them how far away the faster generation modems and network is. Supposed to be like REV-B or something. Speed should be a lot faster than the max 1.5MB of the one I have now.
Old 01-27-09, 09:30 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I filled out the "contact me" form online for business accounts and had someone call me back. Bottom line, this guy was a joke. Couldn't compare or sell me on Hele vs Clearwire, VZW, and AT&T. Wouldn't give me the time of day when I told him I'm looking for 3 Hele Wireless cards, he said business accounts were only 10 or more lines. Well, bottom line is their business sales SUCK!

I'll try the retail location and see if I get better luck tomorrow. Apparently, there's a $30 rebate on the $190 usb modem through Jan. I'll also ask about the RevB.
Old 01-28-09, 12:34 AM
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

i was thinking about looking into this. for the $20 for the first 3 months deal, can you try it out for a few months at $20/mo then cancel if you dont like it?

they go month to month right?

if not, then it's road runner

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Hele Wireless?