CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Anyone tried Hele Wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 12:47 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, no contract and the first 2 weeks are FREE. But you'd still be out $190 for the usb modem.
Old 01-28-09, 01:53 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I just picked up my Hele Wireless card. They just introduced a Kyocera XpressCard for $99 AND a $30 MIR. They said its actually faster than the USB modems. But I liked it (not only for the price) because it goes into the laptop, as opposed to sticking out of the laptop like a usb dongle. This reduces the potential for damage to the dongle.

Macs and certain PC laptops have this Xpress Card so I figure I'd give it a shot for a week. So just like Chris, within the first week, I can return it for a full refund. Within 2 weeks, I can return it for a refund on the card, less the activation fees.

So far in Mililani, I'm getting 1.3mbps down, 256k/up. Gonna take it to the "candy store" (aka Revision Audio) now and report from there!
Old 01-28-09, 02:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuttooth
i was thinking about looking into this. for the $20 for the first 3 months deal, can you try it out for a few months at $20/mo then cancel if you dont like it?

they go month to month right?

if not, then it's road runner
They do go month to month after the first 2 week free trial, but you do have to actually purchase the modem. If you return within a 1 week, you get all your money back. If you return within the 2 weeks, you don't get your activation fee back which is like $25 or something. After the two weeks you own the modem whether you continue to use it or not.
Old 01-28-09, 02:49 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tod071
I just picked up my Hele Wireless card. They just introduced a Kyocera XpressCard for $99 AND a $30 MIR. They said its actually faster than the USB modems. But I liked it (not only for the price) because it goes into the laptop, as opposed to sticking out of the laptop like a usb dongle. This reduces the potential for damage to the dongle.

Macs and certain PC laptops have this Xpress Card so I figure I'd give it a shot for a week. So just like Chris, within the first week, I can return it for a full refund. Within 2 weeks, I can return it for a refund on the card, less the activation fees.

So far in Mililani, I'm getting 1.3mbps down, 256k/up. Gonna take it to the "candy store" (aka Revision Audio) now and report from there!

Cool they didn't have the xpress card when I got mine. I think if I ever break mine I'll go for the xpress card one as like they said it supposed to be faster and less chance of damage. However, I think at 1.5MB max download, the USB port speed is not the bottle neck anyway, so in reality you probably wont notice any increase in speed.

The one thing I do like about the xpress card slot is it will free up my USB ports on my MacBook Pro. I only have two, and one of them is near my magnetic powercord, so if I run the power cord it is too tight to fit the USB modem directly unless I use an extension cable. One the other USB port the modem will cover my Firewire port
Old 01-28-09, 03:37 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The one thing I do like about the xpress card slot is it will free up my USB ports on my MacBook Pro. I only have two, and one of them is near my magnetic powercord, so if I run the power cord it is too tight to fit the USB modem directly unless I use an extension cable. One the other USB port the modem will cover my Firewire port
That's the other reason why I opted for the XpressCard. I can keep my USB ports too.
Old 01-29-09, 04:22 AM
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh...didnt realize you gotta dish out for the modem. otherwise wouldve been a good deal.

i'll just go with roadrunner i guess
Old 04-15-09, 06:19 PM
benzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobi Hele - performance not good

Our company has used Sprint for years, the aircard was suitable for our needs. To reduce costs a couple of months ago, we opted for the Mobi Hele wireless broadband. When we tested it out the first couple of weeks, it was noticeably a little slower than Sprint, but doable for our needs (transferring files, checking emails, etc).

Just today though, I finally had a bad experience. Everything was twice as slow and my connection got cut off twice within a couple of hours. I couldn't start up the Hele connection again, I had to actually log off of my OS and log back in, then reconnect the Hele.

This was enough to assure us that switching back to Sprint is a smart idea. Sprint has been consistently dependable and I recommend that it is worth it.

If you don't mind the occassional slowness and dropped connections, then you can save some money by going with Mobi.

Last edited by benzi; 04-15-09 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added a line