CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Anyone tried Hele Wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 09:16 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone tried Hele Wireless?

Has anyone tried this wireless card yet? Looks like they are offering $20 for the first 3 months, then about $34/month thereafter. They also offer a free trial to see if the coverage is sufficient where you mostly plan to use it. Sounds like a pretty good deal. I have RR right now and also have Clearwire as a back up. It appears Hele Wireless card has about the same speed as my 1.5G Clearwire so it looks like a good choice.
Old 11-30-08, 09:19 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to have RR, am using clearwire now. hele is supposed to be the same as hele.
i miss my RR.
Old 11-30-08, 10:20 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Has anyone tried this wireless card yet? Looks like they are offering $20 for the first 3 months, then about $34/month thereafter. They also offer a free trial to see if the coverage is sufficient where you mostly plan to use it. Sounds like a pretty good deal. I have RR right now and also have Clearwire as a back up. It appears Hele Wireless card has about the same speed as my 1.5G Clearwire so it looks like a good choice.
I've heard alot of commercials from Hele, but don't know anyone that has it. If its the same concept as Clearwire, then wherever you get cell coverage, you'll get internet coverage. Don't know how big the MOBI network really is though.

Originally Posted by seangworld
hele is supposed to be the same as hele.
i miss my RR.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hele is Hele.
Old 11-30-08, 10:31 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

grr...i meant the same as clearwire. i hate clearwire.
Old 11-30-08, 10:34 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Oahu coverage looks to be pretty good. Actually, I think they cover Oahu only right now. It is supposed to be similar to Clearwire, but it does have the advantage of a much smaller USB modem vs the larger Clearwire modem that also needs AC power. I think I might try it out since they do offer that free trial. If it works well at my work place in doors then I think I'd sign up. My Clearwire cost me about $39.99 a month and its basically used only if RR goes down. Hele is about $5 cheaper a month and much more portable. Too bad I had to sign up for a 2 year contract with Clearwire and I'm only about a 8 months into it
Old 11-30-08, 10:38 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Oahu coverage looks to be pretty good. Actually, I think they cover Oahu only right now. It is supposed to be similar to Clearwire, but it does have the advantage of a much smaller USB modem vs the larger Clearwire modem that also needs AC power. I think I might try it out since they do offer that free trial. If it works well at my work place in doors then I think I'd sign up. My Clearwire cost me about $39.99 a month and its basically used only if RR goes down. Hele is about $5 cheaper a month and much more portable. Too bad I had to sign up for a 2 year contract with Clearwire and I'm only about a 8 months into it
Clearwire has a PC card now. The only 2 drawbacks are for me are 1) no coverage in Mililani and 2) Its a PC card, not USB, thus not Mac friendly
Old 11-30-08, 10:39 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

clearwire called me with their crap and said that they offer a card now for 5 bucks more than what im currently paying.

the thing about clearwire and hele is that you cannot download or ftp, which i need to be able to do.

and rr is faster.
Old 11-30-08, 11:46 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tod071
Clearwire has a PC card now. ) Its a PC card, not USB, thus not Mac friendly
Same problem for me. I have a Macbook Pro. They said they would have a Mac friendly Express Card later, but who knows when.
Old 11-30-08, 11:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by seangworld
clearwire called me with their crap and said that they offer a card now for 5 bucks more than what im currently paying.

the thing about clearwire and hele is that you cannot download or ftp, which i need to be able to do.

and rr is faster.

Their express card is for PC only right now and not Mac compatible. My Clearwire is just a back up internet service and I would keep RR. I would basically use this for internet and email while on the go.
Old 12-02-08, 09:17 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Hele is a good price IMO. But the only drawback is if you need quality and speed. I think at&t mobile internet would be good for those reasons because of their 3G network, except the fact that it costs so much if you want the unlimited plan. I would say just try it out and see how you like it because everyone will have different opinions on it. I had a couple Clearwire customer that tried hele and then decided to stick with Clearwire instead. But I would say it would depend a lot on how good you are in the coverage are for wireless companies.
Old 12-02-08, 09:40 PM
tiarehi
Rookie

Today, I had my telecom guy pick up 2 hele cards for demo, using it right now at home, so far so good, in town area.
Old 12-02-08, 09:54 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

can you download music? do you use torrents to get movies? how about ftp, are you able to do that?

if not, then it's useless to me and that's my current situation with clearwire.
Old 12-02-08, 10:11 PM
tiarehi
Rookie

Wireless Cards are not meant for High speed downloads, but just did a test to ftp to a server, works fine. I would not recommend using it for any type of downloads, but just for browsing the internet or checking email. In short, the basics...
Old 12-02-08, 10:24 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

ah ok thanks.
Old 12-03-08, 09:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I just pick one up today. Starting my 2 week trial. You actually have to pay for it up front, then you have 2 weeks to decide if you want to keep it or not. Within 2 weeks you can return it, but you forfeit the $35 activation fee unless you return it within 1 week for a full refund.

So far I have 1-2 bars here at my work place about in the center of a cement filled building with tons of computer equipment around. This is actually pretty good. I did a network speed test and got about a 1.2 MB download speed and about a 125kb upload speed. Not lighting fast, but more than enough to surf the web and posts here on CL like I'm doing now That was pretty much all I wanted. I just wanted something very portable and mobile and that worked at my work place. So far so good. I'll try different places within this 1 week (1 Week because I rather have a full refund), but it seems like it is acceptable for what I wanted so I'll probably keep it.

I'll update with the locations I test this Hele out so if others here want to know where and how well it works in certain areas they have a little idea. I wont go all over the Island though just mostly in Honolulu and perhaps on the windward side when I go to my dad's house.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Hele Wireless?