CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Tint at servco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 08:59 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tint at servco?

where did you guys go to get your IS tint done? servco lexus is charging me 499.74 for a 35% ceramic tint and they refuse to go any darker than the legal limit. just wondering if this is a good deal or not cuz im not too familiar with ceramic tint and if it works or not... If not can anyone refer me to a good place?

also im looking to buy a car cover for my IS...the dust is killing the shine of my black paint...again, any suggestions?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-09, 09:41 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Al's Tinting is the only place I go to for all my cars. Its also the only place I recommend people to go to.

Ceramic tint is only worth it if you're tinting the front windshield. Ceramic will repel alot of the heat, but the windshield is the biggest piece of glass on the car. So if the heat is coming in through the front, it totally defeats the purpose of ceramic tint.

Plus, ceramic tint reduces heat from entering the cabin much much more than regular illegal tint. You can go legal and still be cooler. Unless you WANT to invite cops to pull you over and impound your car for being unsafe to drive.
Old 02-03-09, 10:01 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

hmm so as long as i have my windshield tinted then getting ceramic tint is good? what if i put on those heat reflectors? will that produce the same results? (lol sorry for all the questions..) one last thing..is there such thing as a "clear" tint for the front windshield?
Old 02-03-09, 10:09 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

well i said the same thing over on FH, but yeah, Al's is the best place.
i'm pretty sure tinting the windshield is illegal. you can, but just try not to get caught.

if you're concerned about heat going through the windshield, then check this out.
http://www.prescriptionwindshields.c...ields/home.htm

i was gonna get that eventually.
Old 02-03-09, 10:13 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Yes, there is an 80% tint that can be done. (Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for determining or advising what is legal or not. Just giving you ideas, not necessarily recommendations)

PM me if you like
Old 02-03-09, 10:16 PM
808is3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took my car to mightnight tint, located inside of atomics on kalakaua. good deal came out under $150 if i remember, oh and they use the solargard stuff... and the tint itself is 32%

oh and they took off my illegal tint as well no extra charge, and its illegal to tint your front windshield below the 4" guide.
i actually had 5% on all the windows previously boy was it dark
was kinda hard to drive in dark neighborhoods though. in the end i got pulled over and got a ticket for the tint which was about $250 or so... you don't get towed for that

so moral of the story, jus get normal tint if ya want the darker stuff be ready to pay for it
Old 02-03-09, 10:32 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

wow they actually have a "clear" tint...ill have to pick that up...but in terms of getting pulled over, would i get cited for having a "clear" tint on my windshield?
Old 02-03-09, 10:40 PM
808is3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blkis_250
wow they actually have a "clear" tint...ill have to pick that up...but in terms of getting pulled over, would i get cited for having a "clear" tint on my windshield?
i believe you would. the hrs basically says something about having any tint, sticker, decals, etc below that 4" line as being illegal. but heck i've seen a good number of people with tint on the front windshield who don't get pulled over. jus depends on your luck i'd suppose.
Old 02-03-09, 10:45 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

i took my car to mightnight tint, located inside of atomics on kalakaua. good deal came out under $150 if i remember, oh and they use the solargard stuff... and the tint itself is 32%
wow under 150?? now thats a deal! was it ceramic tint too?
Old 02-03-09, 11:13 PM
eastsidtsx
Rookie

no tint is allowed on the windshield even if it is clear. As for ceramic, if its 500 i think thats about what al's charges anyways. as for darker then 35%, that is all personal choice, however, keep in mind, safety check will be harder to get unless you know someone, and if you do get pulled over, it is a fine of $287 per window. So, if you're like my car and have 7 windows that can be tinted, thats $2k in fines....keep that in mind
Old 02-03-09, 11:22 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

thanks for the offer tod071 but i think ill just stick with letting servco do their thing. ill worry about my front windshield later, hopefully that heat reflector thing will hold up until then. those fines are scary, i'll keep in the legal range then, i can't afford dropping another 2k towards a fine. waste of money...thanks for the help guys! can't wait for this weeks meet ;D
Old 02-03-09, 11:45 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

i've driven around for 4 years on 4 different cars with illegal tint without ever having tint fines, so it's not like it's something people get ticketed often. if anything, you'll be saving at least $100 going to Al's. my brother has illegal ceramic tint(which is more expensive) and it was around $400, so legal ceramic tint will be cheaper. plus any tint will help, so it's not like not tinting your windshield is gonna negate all benefits of tinting the other windows.

but then again, if you don't know anyone that can get you a safety, it's better to get legal tint anyway. but most places i've been to give a 6% leeway on tint, so 35% being legal, some places will let you get away with 29%.
Old 02-04-09, 01:33 AM
GRAVITY34
Pole Position

Go TINTWERKS. ask for KOA or CHAN-CE They will hook you up. till them i sent you there.
Old 02-04-09, 06:09 PM
blkis_250
Pole Position

i hope they will, ill go cancel my appointment then, 500 is a lot for some tint...thats my whole paycheck right there...unless you give me a raise ;D lol
Old 02-04-09, 07:23 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ill 2nd that Al's does good work. Im probably going to go back there to get my windshield with a ceramic tint. Because like Todd said, all the heat I feel while driving is coming from the windshield. But im only going to do a 60% or so, so its not too noticable.

Quick Reply: Tint at servco?