CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

My computer woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 08:22 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My computer woes

Ok... i've had it already...the free computer i got fizzled when i tried to add a *generic* 1gig ram stick and wont work at all

so~

today i took my dads puter and hooked it up in my room and ordered some parts to build me a NEW computer

cpu: intel core i7-920
ram: 6gig corsair XMS DDR3/1333 (run in tri-channel)
case: thermaltake V9
mobo: asus P6t X58
video card: x2 eVGA Nvidia 9800GT 1gig (to run in SLI mode )
windows vista 64bit

Ok... course now im out a ton of money and wont be fixing my rim, i coulda made a cheeper computer by only getting one vid card but~ nah two 9800GT's will run alot faster than one top of the line ($400-$500) card.

i'll be afk for awhile OR until i fix my dads wifi connection
Old 05-05-09, 08:49 PM
jt808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's pretty darned powerful!!! It makes the Alienware laptop I just ordered look like a little toy. Looks like someone is a major gamer! I opted for a slightly less powerful Nvidia GPU since all I do is browse on CL and use Microsoft Office applications.
Old 05-05-09, 10:00 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jt808
Wow, that's pretty darned powerful!!! It makes the Alienware laptop I just ordered look like a little toy. Looks like someone is a major gamer! I opted for a slightly less powerful Nvidia GPU since all I do is browse on CL and use Microsoft Office applications.
well i really really wanted a pair of GTX-285 to run in sli but... you could buy a new puter for the price of just those 2 cards
Old 05-05-09, 11:34 PM
808_ISF
Driver School Candidate

that computer is a beast. only thing i dont like is that it has vista 64. are you going to upgrade to windows 7 when it releases at the end of this year?
Old 05-06-09, 12:15 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 808_ISF
that computer is a beast. only thing i dont like is that it has vista 64. are you going to upgrade to windows 7 when it releases at the end of this year?
yea actually im kinda worried about running vista 64 ... BUT~ i just kinda wanna give it a try, thing is with 6gb of ram in tri-channel only vista64 will be able to allocate everything. What MS doesn't tell you is that even if you put 8g of ram in vista32 it will tell you that theres 8gigs plugged in, it doesn't tell you whats pre-allocated to other devices, like how winxp only tells you have 3.25g ram instead of 4g. I dunno, we'll see~

as long as i can play a few games and dl/watch my shows i should be ok, my personal pc doesnt need to run 'office/bookkeeping' type programs.

as for win7, not as soon as it comes out, maybe after the first few million patches
Old 05-06-09, 12:46 AM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

my comp keeps freezing on me...but im waiting for my premium dell xps cheehoo
Old 05-06-09, 11:43 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

im just going to put on my flame suit, and stick my head out there by saying every one should just get a mac
Old 05-06-09, 08:15 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Ok... i've had it already...the free computer i got fizzled when i tried to add a *generic* 1gig ram stick and wont work at all

so~

today i took my dads puter and hooked it up in my room and ordered some parts to build me a NEW computer

cpu: intel core i7-920
ram: 6gig corsair XMS DDR3/1333 (run in tri-channel)
case: thermaltake V9
mobo: asus P6t X58
video card: x2 eVGA Nvidia 9800GT 1gig (to run in SLI mode )
windows vista 64bit

Ok... course now im out a ton of money and wont be fixing my rim, i coulda made a cheeper computer by only getting one vid card but~ nah two 9800GT's will run alot faster than one top of the line ($400-$500) card.

i'll be afk for awhile OR until i fix my dads wifi connection
nice setup....what are you planning for cooling? that beast is going to generate a lot of heat.

my suggestion......... if you dare.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWWyKsnr7

Originally Posted by weesped
im just going to put on my flame suit, and stick my head out there by saying every one should just get a mac
when my pc breaks down then i'll think about getting a mac.......
that'll be NEVER
Old 05-07-09, 01:57 AM
808is3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by weesped
why is it that mac guys always try to convince pc guys to get a mac? you never see pc guys trying to convert mac users?!

but seriously, that sounds like a badass setup... i only use my vista64 system to playback HD content... so far. besides we have better stuff at work.
Old 05-07-09, 04:19 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

while what judd is building is a great machine on paper, slap on vista and it kinda kills all of your hopes and dreams. the only real draw back to a mac is that they cost a arm and a leg, but at the end of the day they'll give you a lot less hassle, and they look a hella lot prettier.

and any one who said looks doesnt matter is lying, you guys all bought lexus's for a reason
Old 05-07-09, 10:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikken
nice setup....what are you planning for cooling? that beast is going to generate a lot of heat.
hehe you know it, as soon as i plug it in im going into the bios and OC it to 3ghz so im gonna use a AVC Napleon HSF (3 heatpipes with fins and inbetween them is a 92mm fan w/led blowing sidewards rather than in a up/down config) normally i go with thermaltake hsf but i wanna try something different, ALSO i usually use Arctic Silver thermal compound but im gonna try Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound for this build.

As for the rest of the heat, the thermaltake V9 case has a 230mm fan (exhaust) on the top of the puter over the cpu (psu is bottom mount on this case with a ventilation intake hole on bottom of case for psu fan intake), 120mm in the front (140mm will fit too), 120mm rear exhaust. Unfortunately the case doesnt have a window side fan so i might have to mod the case... my broken computer had 11 total fans p4 prescott 2.53@3.1ghz that lasted from 01 till last dec, i dunno i'll have to see how hot the i7's run first before i start case mods.

OF COURSE...

what most ppl dont understand, a good wiring job inside the case for airflow does more for the heat than just adding fans AND no~ no liquid in my cases, one day that tube will rot from our humidity and drip onto my vidcards... no no no

(ignores georges mac comments )
Old 05-07-09, 10:52 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this mean you'll be back on AIM?
Old 05-08-09, 01:20 AM
ohmarvin
Pole Position

wow thats a mean setup. im actually building another one myself. where'd you get you parts? i go on tiger direct.

i thought you said you were gonna invest some money into circuit city. lol nah nah
Old 05-08-09, 01:43 AM
Kaluna
Pole Position

When I figure out how to overclock the new i7 EE, then I'll start planning my next system.
Judd I've been preaching to people for years now, wiring being neat and tidy makes air flow in the case work numerous times better, gald to see someone knows.
I will do Phase change cooling though. Bring the core temp to 0 before starting up. Mhm over clock that sumbeach.
And now I will slink back into the darkness
Old 05-08-09, 03:47 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ohmarvin
where'd you get you parts? i go on tiger direct.

i thought you said you were gonna invest some money into circuit city. lol nah nah
yea tiger direct, newegg... various manufacture websites too, and i decided to invest in compusa instead of circut city

Originally Posted by Kaluna
When I figure out how...
hehe it is my understanding that even the i7-920/940 chips are unlocked (cpu/ram/qpi) thus no need for the big $$$ 965ee i hear there are guys running the 920's at 4+ghz, course their on monster liquid machines and probably only use those machines for posting benchmarks Well we'll see~ everything should be coming in next wk.

its just sad thou cuz i really wanted to buy 1600ram/msi mobo/pair of GTX 285 (or 295) vid cards... but when you gotta build a new system from scratch... damm the sheet adds up

Quick Reply: My computer woes