I'm considering a move to Kauai......local inputs please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 09:13 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm considering a move to Kauai......local inputs please

Whats up CL brothers.....

I have the opportunity to re-locate my family to Kauai and would love to get your thoughts. My daughter is only 6 months old, but the biggest question I have would be about the school systems on the island. Is there both a public and private option for K-12? I have been to Kauai many times and absolutely love it. My friend grew up on the island and I have the opportunity to work for him and his family. Every time I hang out with my friend and his crew of peeps, everyone is very friendly to us. I think it helps that I am half Portuguese. Is there a community on the island that has a larger population of younger families? Making alot of money is not a major issue for me. As long as I can provide for my family and have my Lexus, I am a happy man. I also heard that Kauai has a quarter mile track.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If it matters, my wife and I are in our early thirtys. Thanks CL.
Old 05-25-10, 04:07 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowdiver
Whats up CL brothers.....

I have the opportunity to re-locate my family to Kauai and would love to get your thoughts. My daughter is only 6 months old, but the biggest question I have would be about the school systems on the island. Is there both a public and private option for K-12? I have been to Kauai many times and absolutely love it. My friend grew up on the island and I have the opportunity to work for him and his family. Every time I hang out with my friend and his crew of peeps, everyone is very friendly to us. I think it helps that I am half Portuguese. Is there a community on the island that has a larger population of younger families? Making alot of money is not a major issue for me. As long as I can provide for my family and have my Lexus, I am a happy man. I also heard that Kauai has a quarter mile track.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If it matters, my wife and I are in our early thirtys. Thanks CL.

hey whats up slowdiver, most of us on CL are from Oahu although there are some peoples on the neighbor islands.

From what i know about kauai, there are public schools but i am unsure about private. Kauai is a great place to live and raise a family. just like any city in the US there is a great population of younger families around the neighborhoods. It really doesnt matter what age you are here in hawaii. we always welcome people here just as long as your respect for the islands is shown.

here is a link for Kauai's race track
http://www.dragrace-kauai.com/dragra...g%20How-to.htm

GL on making your decision, i know relocating a family is definitely a tough one especially if your making the move for a job opportunity.

I'm sure once the other guys see this they'll chime in.
Old 05-25-10, 05:05 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the cost of living in Hawaii is much higher than the US mainland....gas, food, housing, etc....plus, you pay tax on everything you buy....so you may want to rethink that "money is not a major issue" statement.
Old 05-25-10, 05:11 PM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
the cost of living in Hawaii is much higher than the US mainland....gas, food, housing, etc....plus, you pay tax on everything you buy....so you may want to rethink that "money is not a major issue" statement.
thats true although Ive lived in Cali for 3 years and the prices of things yes, are cheaper but their tax is much higher than ours. 7.25% was the tax at the time I was living there. i know that Washington is somewhere like 8/9% somethings will equal out, but in the end Hawaii is alot more expensive the mainland. Your ACTUALLY paying for the shipping on everything you buy without even knowing it! haha
Old 05-25-10, 09:10 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fknISC808
hey whats up slowdiver, most of us on CL are from Oahu although there are some peoples on the neighbor islands.

From what i know about kauai, there are public schools but i am unsure about private. Kauai is a great place to live and raise a family. just like any city in the US there is a great population of younger families around the neighborhoods. It really doesnt matter what age you are here in hawaii. we always welcome people here just as long as your respect for the islands is shown.

here is a link for Kauai's race track
http://www.dragrace-kauai.com/dragra...g%20How-to.htm

GL on making your decision, i know relocating a family is definitely a tough one especially if your making the move for a job opportunity.

I'm sure once the other guys see this they'll chime in.
thanks for your response...luckily I have a year to make the decision, so I will be doing all of my research before pulling the trigger on a move.

Originally Posted by PHML
thank you for your response. I'm aware of the higher cost of living and agree with you that this has to be taken into consideration. I guess what I meant in regards to the money comment is that when I was younger I used to think I would need millions to be happy. Not the case anymore. Now that I am married and have a kid, I just want to be the best I can be for my family and material things aren't that important. Other than the GS of course.

As a side note, the Costco on Kauai is great. I'm sure we would do a ton of shoppng there just like we do here in SoCal. In regards to living off of the land and ocean, my buddy slaughters pigs like nobody's business and is constantly giving away meat. I also love to eat fish and would love to get into spearfishing, sportfishing and crabbing. The amount of Ahi that my buddy and his friends always have is insane.
Old 05-30-10, 08:17 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

very weak CL of HI.........over 100 views and only 2 responses.

must not be alot of CL members on Kauai.
Old 05-31-10, 12:18 AM
jt808
Driver

If you're currently living in SoCal, you'll definitely have to adapt to a MUCH slower pace of life. The outdoor stuff is great but there's zilch to do from a metropolitan standpoint. People in general are friendly, but don't expect razor sharp customer service at most business establishments.

On an educational standpoint, Hawaii's public school system is also considered "sub-standard". I'm not aware of any notable private schools on that island. With that being said, it is what you make of it.

Lexus sightings will be few and far between. There's also the issue with being able to service your vehicle.

You definitely have to think about the pros and cons to living on Kauai. Personally, besides the golfing and the food, I'd probably steer clear. However, one major benefit is that Oahu/Honolulu is only a short plane trip away.

Kauai is a great place to live if you're looking for a certain lifestyle. Only you can determine if it'll be a great home for you and your family. Good luck on the research!
Old 05-31-10, 12:22 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of us live on Oahu so for many of us it is hard to comment on Kauai. I've only been there once, but will be going up next month for my cousins wedding. Anyway, even for many of us locals Kauai is a very slow place. I mean, I think Maui is slow and I'm not a night club/bar night life kind of guy either. I think for the nice Island laid back lifestyle Kauai might be a perfect place to live. I myself wouldn't mind retiring on Kauai. At the moment though I think its just a little too slow a lifestyle for me.

I personally think the public school system in Hawaii is not too good at all. My son fortunately goes to a top 10 public elementary school, so he is lucky, but many other public schools in general are crappy. I am a product of the public school system and I envy the students that got to go to private school here. Sure, many of my coworkers went to the top private schools and are doing the same job for the same pay, but I think I could have been so much more if I had the opportunity to attend private school. But oh well enough of that. If you have the money to send your kids to private school do it. There are a also charter schools that might be a good opportunity as well.

IMHO, I would really visit Kauai a few more times to see if you can really live there. Most people that end up transplanting from the mainland to Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii (The Big Island) usually are retiring or needed to for work. Oahu IMHO is a much easier transition from the mainland to Island lifestyle in terms of culture shock.

For cost of living, think about what you think you can live comfortable with then add about $15K a year would be my best bet. A single person with no kids probably can live here comfortably making $40K a year and not struggle. A family with no kids probably would need about $75K. Add kids and you need to have an annual household income of at least $100K to live reasonably well here. The reason why many of us can get by here is because of our Ohana. If it were not for family help at some time or another, many of us locals who grew up here would not be able to make it. Many of us are house rich and cash poor, but that is just the way it is in Hawaii when the median house cost around $600K+ and the average household income for 2 people is around $65K.

Anyway, good luck in your decision. Hawaii no doubt is the place I'd want to raise my kids and retire. I'm fortunate that so far I'm able to survive working in Hawaii where I grew up with a decent paycheck.
Old 05-31-10, 01:17 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah not many people live on kauai so we can't comment...

i been to oahu for over 20 years and i have never been to kauai...
Old 06-01-10, 02:14 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To sum it up...Im born and raised on Oahu. I don't go to Kauai, unless its for work...its too darn slow paced for me.

Every thing there closes early....no night life...nothing to do....unless you love the nature stuff. Most ppl who live on Kauai are either born/raised there....or retired mainland transplants.

As for your ride...there's no Lexus dealership there...so parts would have to be air shipped or you buy it on Oahu.
Old 06-03-10, 03:01 AM
bukbuk
Rookie

go for it!!!!
Old 06-03-10, 01:33 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowdiver
very weak CL of HI.........over 100 views and only 2 responses.
Wow. Really? I think you got some pretty decent input up to that point. I can understand your disappointment that there wasn't more, but seriously? You ask for help, get some, and then complain there wasn't enough?

I'm sorry, but this attitude does not fly down here. I'm not trying to judge you based on a couple of internet posts, but typically if you're asking for help you don't want to insult the people you're asking. Remember you're the one asking for help.
/preaching

Bottom line is most all of us are Oahu residents and know little about Kauai and what it's like to live there. It does sound like you may actually be well suited for life there.

Originally Posted by jt808
If you're currently living in SoCal, you'll definitely have to adapt to a MUCH slower pace of life. The outdoor stuff is great but there's zilch to do from a metropolitan standpoint. People in general are friendly, but don't expect razor sharp customer service at most business establishments.

On an educational standpoint, Hawaii's public school system is also considered "sub-standard". I'm not aware of any notable private schools on that island. With that being said, it is what you make of it.

Lexus sightings will be few and far between. There's also the issue with being able to service your vehicle.

You definitely have to think about the pros and cons to living on Kauai. Personally, besides the golfing and the food, I'd probably steer clear. However, one major benefit is that Oahu/Honolulu is only a short plane trip away.

Kauai is a great place to live if you're looking for a certain lifestyle. Only you can determine if it'll be a great home for you and your family. Good luck on the research!
Great comments up above. I understand you like the slower pace and country feel when you're on vacation, but could you live that life permanently?

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Most of us live on Oahu so for many of us it is hard to comment on Kauai. I've only been there once, but will be going up next month for my cousins wedding. Anyway, even for many of us locals Kauai is a very slow place. I mean, I think Maui is slow and I'm not a night club/bar night life kind of guy either. I think for the nice Island laid back lifestyle Kauai might be a perfect place to live. I myself wouldn't mind retiring on Kauai. At the moment though I think its just a little too slow a lifestyle for me.

I personally think the public school system in Hawaii is not too good at all. My son fortunately goes to a top 10 public elementary school, so he is lucky, but many other public schools in general are crappy. I am a product of the public school system and I envy the students that got to go to private school here. Sure, many of my coworkers went to the top private schools and are doing the same job for the same pay, but I think I could have been so much more if I had the opportunity to attend private school. But oh well enough of that. If you have the money to send your kids to private school do it. There are a also charter schools that might be a good opportunity as well.

IMHO, I would really visit Kauai a few more times to see if you can really live there. Most people that end up transplanting from the mainland to Kauai, Maui, or Hawaii (The Big Island) usually are retiring or needed to for work. Oahu IMHO is a much easier transition from the mainland to Island lifestyle in terms of culture shock.

For cost of living, think about what you think you can live comfortable with then add about $15K a year would be my best bet. A single person with no kids probably can live here comfortably making $40K a year and not struggle. A family with no kids probably would need about $75K. Add kids and you need to have an annual household income of at least $100K to live reasonably well here. The reason why many of us can get by here is because of our Ohana. If it were not for family help at some time or another, many of us locals who grew up here would not be able to make it. Many of us are house rich and cash poor, but that is just the way it is in Hawaii when the median house cost around $600K+ and the average household income for 2 people is around $65K.

Anyway, good luck in your decision. Hawaii no doubt is the place I'd want to raise my kids and retire. I'm fortunate that so far I'm able to survive working in Hawaii where I grew up with a decent paycheck.
Money is definitely a concern down here. You work just as hard for less down here, and then you pay more for everything you buy. This is a fact of life for the people of Hawaii. Housing prices never saw the "dip" or "crash" that many markets up in CA did; we're more like the other markets that saw little price regression, but that's it.

Many of us on Oahu joke about Kauai being a one-traffic light town. I know it's not that bad, but it can feel that way for us when we're on Kauai. Maui is far more developed than Kauai, and I was bored out of my mind spending one day/night on Maui for a wedding. Everything was closed by like 8! And I'm not a night life/clubber either.
Old 06-23-10, 08:21 PM
slowdiver
Lead Lap

Thanks for all of the comments CL.....alot of good inputs that are greatly appreciated.

Just spent the week with my friend from Kauai who was in town. Went over the job opportunity some more and clarified a few things. It is a real opportunity in terms of the monetary aspect. In regards to the school system, there is a private option on the island. This is where he went to school and where his kids currently go to school. He confirmed that the public option is not that great in his opinion.

As a side note, my wife is starting to have her doubts as it relates to a potentiol move and not having family support to help with our baby. We also plan to have more children very soon. I have been in the middle of job interviews and have a couple of offers on the table. The firm that I really want to work for is bringing me in next week for an interview. If I get a decent offer from them, it is a likely outcome that we will probably end up staying here. I do have until the end of the year to make my decision in terms of the opening in Kauai.

Thanks again for all of the inputs.
Old 07-08-10, 09:15 AM
KonaMan
Driver School Candidate

Default Kauai is a beautiful piece of the world, for sure....

I've been a Lexus owner since '06 and never knew these forums existed... I just got bonus points when I found there was a group from the islands participating in the forums. I too harbor a dream of relocating to your part of the world... thinking it's going to be the Big Island when I retire in a few years. I lived on Guam for a couple of years and ever since then I never really figured out why I left... made a mistake of visiting Hawaii several years ago and it was Guam on steroids... get out of the cities and the views defy description and show a genuine interest in the people, the culture, and respect for the islands and environment and you are treated like royalty.

Making the crossing one way is a big step for all of the obvious reasons but you are young and appear to have a way to make some money once you get there. Clearly I can't speak on many of the issues you need addressed before you make up your mind but, if I was you and know what I know now I would go and would never look back.

I love everything about every one of the islands I have had the priviledge of visiting... Kauai is definately the most laid back and probably one of the smallest.

Funny you mention schools... we ventured up to the Northern part of the island and wandered into a small town. We ate at this resteraunt which was right across the street from an elementary school. In the background were those tall, green mountains and, if you looked real hard you could see two or three waterfalls way up high... I thought, considering everything that is going on on the mainland these days, if I had a kid, this is where I would want him or her to go to school.

Sorry for the mindless rambling... I just can't help but love your part of the world... you have a piece of paradise that no one could ever comprehend until they have been there and seen it and experienced the people who made me feel welcome during my visits...

Maybe someday I will be able to put that my IS on a boat and become part of what you all have... you do have something very special. Don' let Disney mess it up!
Old 07-08-10, 09:49 AM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KonaMan
I've been a Lexus owner since '06 and never knew these forums existed... I just got bonus points when I found there was a group from the islands participating in the forums. I too harbor a dream of relocating to your part of the world... thinking it's going to be the Big Island when I retire in a few years. I lived on Guam for a couple of years and ever since then I never really figured out why I left... made a mistake of visiting Hawaii several years ago and it was Guam on steroids... get out of the cities and the views defy description and show a genuine interest in the people, the culture, and respect for the islands and environment and you are treated like royalty.

Making the crossing one way is a big step for all of the obvious reasons but you are young and appear to have a way to make some money once you get there. Clearly I can't speak on many of the issues you need addressed before you make up your mind but, if I was you and know what I know now I would go and would never look back.

I love everything about every one of the islands I have had the priviledge of visiting... Kauai is definately the most laid back and probably one of the smallest.

Funny you mention schools... we ventured up to the Northern part of the island and wandered into a small town. We ate at this resteraunt which was right across the street from an elementary school. In the background were those tall, green mountains and, if you looked real hard you could see two or three waterfalls way up high... I thought, considering everything that is going on on the mainland these days, if I had a kid, this is where I would want him or her to go to school.

Sorry for the mindless rambling... I just can't help but love your part of the world... you have a piece of paradise that no one could ever comprehend until they have been there and seen it and experienced the people who made me feel welcome during my visits...

Maybe someday I will be able to put that my IS on a boat and become part of what you all have... you do have something very special. Don' let Disney mess it up!

Well said Konaman, thank you for your appreciation of the islands. I moved away for 6 years and made the decision to come back home because I missed my family/friends and that great ALOHA spirit. Welcome to CL and maybe one day you can retire here and enjoy the fruitful islands. Aloha

Quick Reply: I'm considering a move to Kauai......local inputs please