CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Any recommendations for those visiting Hawaii...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 10:03 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations for those visiting Hawaii...

I'm in Waikiki for a week... seeking any suggestions from the locals of restaurants, clubs, bars... What's good here...?
Old 08-02-10, 10:34 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what are your interests? when do you leave? we just had a car show this past sunday too~ do you have a rental car?

*edit* OH YEA~ you can always visit our candy store run by Rev-01 just be sure to leave your wallet and cc in your room cuz... if not you'll go broke

Last edited by llamaboiz; 08-02-10 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 12:28 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

no rental, should had though... I'll leave this sunday... Interests...? The local Hawaiian foods that's like really good and bada$$, bars or clubs with good music and lots of hot women, and trying to learn to surf... hehehe... Mahalo nui loa...
Old 08-03-10, 01:59 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

what do y'all think of Ka, Bonsai, or Pearl?
Old 08-03-10, 04:09 PM
seangworld
Lead Lap

im so unplugged from the club scene (for now) that i dont know what's happening where anymore...it's been like 3 years since i went to the clubs at least.
Old 08-03-10, 06:10 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All the places mentioned are good depending on what you like. Im not really a club person but Oceans808 is a good spot also Ginza.
Old 08-03-10, 07:14 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yakiniku Hiroshi on Royal Hawaiian Avenue is excellent but not cheap. Teddy's Bigger Burgers on Kapahulu Avenue across the street from the Zoo is also quite good but not cheap either. Tokkuri Tei is another great Japanese restaurant a little further away (also on Kapahulu) and is not overly expensive. Rainbow Drive-In is a local plate lunch type place (OK food) near Tokkuri Tei as well.

Leonard's Malasadas a little further up the road from Tokkuri Tei too. That's getting too far to walk by that point though.

There's also a great Hot Dog place somewhere in Waikiki (International Market Place, I think) called Hank's Haute Dogs. Excellent but expensive!

Hope that helps. Enjoy your stay!
Old 08-03-10, 11:12 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

thanks for all the suggestions... been making use of the mass transit there, which isn't that bad at all... what nights are good nights to hit up some of these places?
Old 08-03-10, 11:22 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like pho, hands down Pho To Chau is the best I've ever had in my life.....and I hate all types of noodles, Pho Ramen, Bun, Lo Mein, etc. I can't stand eating noodles, but this place had some bomb *** pho. There's a reason why they have lines outside the door.

Not surprising, I ordered their com suong, which you get a lot of and it was also the bomb. Lots of tender meat, while the other half ordered pho, the big bowl.

Sure enough when I tried it, it was bomb diggity. No joke man. Their pho is boss man and I HATE Pho.

Also, if you like to shop, visit the ala moana shopping center. Nice stores. I dropped a couple stacks there within a few hours.

I love the island so much, that I'm considering moving there to practice once I'm out of school. I'm going back this December as a graduation gift and can't wait. 2 weeks of paradise in December.
Old 08-05-10, 03:09 AM
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

the hank's haute dogs in waikiki isn't as good as the one on coral street...and in general i don't think hank's is anything special to begin with.

if you're in waikiki and want a better dog...try hapa dog
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hapa-dog-honolulu

have you tried heading into chinatown? some good clubs/lounges there.

also, try looking on yelp for other places to eat, club, shop..etc.
http://www.yelp.com/honolulu
Old 08-05-10, 11:02 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

I'm vietnamese and from dallas, so as pho is concerned, i don't really try to go look for it, unless i was needing it to cure after a night of drinking... hehehe... Yelp, i found some of those peoples' reviews i really don't find creditable... hahaha... I went to part of chinatown at the markets, but didn't see any that looks like a bar or lounge place...?

Haven't went to Hank's, but I've tried Puka dog, it was definetly different... need to go back and try the extra hot version though... Went to Ono Hawaiian Foods to try their combo plater, which is pretty good I think... Just got back from Mana Bu's to try their Spam, Baked Salmon, and Tuna Mayo musubi. Thinking of trying Zippy's for the loco moco...

Any good schools to learn surfing from?
Old 08-05-10, 12:02 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cuttooth
the hank's haute dogs in waikiki isn't as good as the one on coral street...and in general i don't think hank's is anything special to begin with.
Good to know. I agree that it is a lot of hype, but I do really enjoy a few of their items that I regularly go back for (on Coral St.). The price is usually the turn off for most that I've spoken to about it.
Old 08-05-10, 01:04 PM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

zippy's is aight... eat a loco moco at nico's!

hmm, waikiki... everything is so expensive! umm, i like sansei in the marriott resort... on fridays and saturdays after 10pm, 1/2 off and crazy people signing karaoke!

take a cab and eat at rock n roll sushi on ward avenue... imo, the prices are reasonable... ryan's at ward centre is good too! the prices are so-so... i think, there's a couple clubs in the area? idk, i'm not really in to the clubbing scene...

do you like korean barbeque? there's a lot of korean yakiniku restaurants near ala moana shopping center...
Old 08-05-10, 03:39 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

just tried the Hawaiian dog @ Hank's Haute Dogs in the International Market, where they was filming a chase scene for the TV series Hawaii Five-O... They took so many takes. would be funny if they use ones where I was in line at Hank's, but I'm sure it's quite away from the aisle in front of the Stupid Factory where the better camera position is... hahaha...

I eat korean too... Yeah, I was expecting with no doubt for prices to go up higher in the tourist areas of Waikiki... Combo # 1 at the golden arches is almost at $8 when I was ordering taro pies...

Last edited by dAng_bAy; 08-05-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 04:51 AM
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

another place that has a pretty good loco moco is Da Kitchen, if you go there, also try the mahi tempura. portions are HUGE

http://www.yelp.com/biz/da-kitchen-cafe-honolulu

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for those visiting Hawaii...