CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

How much did your tint cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 03:12 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbon50
Trying to keep the heat down and protect the interior. legal tint doesn't block as much heat as I want. The darker tint definitely keeps the inside much cooler and looks much better on a black car.
Clear ceramic does block some heat and keeps my car (rest of the windows are legal 35% ceramic) about 10-15 degrees cooler in direct sunlight.

Those tint tickets are crazy expensive for a slightly "darker" appearance.
Old 05-05-11, 03:19 PM
ambitionz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey wsup people...new is350 owner here and am looking to get my car tinted too. Just to clear things up, isnt the tint limit 30%? 3 or 4 years ago when I had my old car tinted, the shop that i took it to told me that the limit is 30% and thats what I had installed. Also how much did you guys pay to get your isx50/is-f tinted, what kinda tint, and where did you get it tinted? thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-11, 07:14 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Unless there has been a change, 35% is the limit. Any of the tint shops will know for sure.

Going rate seems to be about $400-450 for main windows + moon roof. I paid like $200-250 for the windshield. All ceramic tint here.
Old 05-05-11, 07:38 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrisyano
Unless there has been a change, 35% is the limit. Any of the tint shops will know for sure.

Going rate seems to be about $400-450 for main windows + moon roof. I paid like $200-250 for the windshield. All ceramic tint here.
Trust me, check out Tintwerks.
I'd had to quote a price because each situation is different but to give you an idea, I paid $125 or less to ceramic tint my windshield.
Old 05-05-11, 08:51 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

+1 on tintwerks. Got mines tinted there at a very good price compared to other places. Got 35% all around. Not as dark as others but it beats the fishbowl look.
Old 05-06-11, 12:20 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

^I actually tried to get Tintwerkes to tint my shop windows years back. I'm in the same area (was on the same block until they moved) and wanted to give them the business but they never showed to even check it out even though they said they could do the job and would be right over. I tried to give them the business a few times but I will not wait forever or chase down a vendor to give them my money. If they weren't interested in the job, they could have just told me so rather than keeping me hanging (I gave them over a month and numerous calls before moving on).

Had my previous experience been better I likely would have brought the Lexus to them as well.

Just my personal experience. I wasn't going to post this until I saw the "Trust me, check out Tintwerkes" post.

No offense intended by this post.
Old 05-06-11, 01:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ambitionz
hey wsup people...new is350 owner here and am looking to get my car tinted too. Just to clear things up, isnt the tint limit 30%? 3 or 4 years ago when I had my old car tinted, the shop that i took it to told me that the limit is 30% and thats what I had installed. Also how much did you guys pay to get your isx50/is-f tinted, what kinda tint, and where did you get it tinted? thanks in advance.
Legal tint in Hawaii is 35%. The law states 35% + or - 6% to allow for variances in tint meter equipment tolerance accuracy. To technically you can go down as low as 29% and be legal. However, one inspections station may read 29% and pass you this year, but next year another inspection stations meter, and even the same meter at the same inspection station may read 28% and fail you.

Full front windshield is no darker than 70% below AS1. Above AS1 is still 35%.
Old 05-06-11, 11:02 AM
rennwerkes
Rookie

^I actually tried to get Tintwerkes to tint my shop windows years back. I'm in the same area (was on the same block until they moved) and wanted to give them the business but they never showed to even check it out even though they said they could do the job and would be right over. I tried to give them the business a few times but I will not wait forever or chase down a vendor to give them my money. If they weren't interested in the job, they could have just told me so rather than keeping me hanging (I gave them over a month and numerous calls before moving on).

Had my previous experience been better I likely would have brought the Lexus to them as well.

Just my personal experience. I wasn't going to post this until I saw the "Trust me, check out Tintwerkes" post.

No offense intended by this post.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
But my personal experience (over 10 years) and my friends (two or three of them) have all been positive. Probably had more than 20-25 cars done between all of us. Mind you, this was for automotive tinting and not for apartment of home tinting. This is why I said "Trust Me".
Old 05-06-11, 12:21 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I think it's $175 per window, so a $1400 ticket + having to retint would not be a risk I would take personally even if the chances of getting tagged is miniscule. Especially if we're talking 35% down to 30%.

Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
But my personal experience (over 10 years) and my friends (two or three of them) have all been positive. Probably had more than 20-25 cars done between all of us. Mind you, this was for automotive tinting and not for apartment of home tinting. This is why I said "Trust Me".
No sweat. It's water under the bridge.

It was an easy six pane job (storefront windows) for my shop, and I fully understand if they didn't want to do the work. I just wished they would have been up front about it so I didn't have to bake in the sun for so long while waiting for them to not show up. I was literally down the street. I had a bunch of windows broken by neighbors and movers (LOL) in a short time period and needed the clear glass treated ASAP. TNT came over and did the job within a day or two if I remember correctly.

I take the way I do business very seriously, so I probably take that kind of experience a lot more personally than anybody else would. The shop next door uses Tintwerkes exclusively on a very high number of cars and I know he gets a great rate from them and is happy with their work.

Sorry for the derailment...
Old 05-06-11, 02:03 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

I think it's $175 per window, so a $1400 ticket + having to retint would not be a risk I would take personally even if the chances of getting tagged is miniscule. Especially if we're talking 35% down to 30%.
I actually think it's more than $175 but not exactly sure.
For some reason $250 is in my head.
I know somebody told me they had to pay $1600 because they were caught more than once.
Old 05-18-11, 12:38 PM
turbon50
Driver

Originally Posted by noku
B4 deciding on tint, check out Pro Tint and talk with Dwight. Excellent work, excellent products and excellent prices. He's da man!!!
All I have to say to this is I wish I didn't go here! My dad also recommended that I do, so I went to him. When we got the car back it was horrible! The windshield tint was very blurry with scratches on the tint and rubbish stuck in the tint. The driver side tint had a 1.5" scratch, but Dwight was trying to say that it isn't in my view when looking out the window and I shouldn't be concerned with it. Then now I look at the back window and it looks similar to this guys one who has defroster problems!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post6399819

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3...1051800141.jpg

My question is, does your tint have dark areas on the defroster lines like ours? Not to mention his price is the same price others charge so it wasn't cheap. He also took from 7am to 7pm to finish my car!

Last edited by turbon50; 05-18-11 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 02:23 PM
turbon50
Driver

I just thought I'd update everyone on this situation. So Saturday I take the car back in and try to explain all the issues as stated in the previous post. Dwight tried to give an excuse for every single situation. Instead of owning up to his mistakes and just saying sorry and make things right he ends up trash talking other local tinters. When I ask if he used heat or steamed the rear glass to remove the old tint he said he did. I told him that other tinters said that if this was done correctly, it shouldn't have pulled off the defroster lines. His response to this was "who are all these guys? Young kids!". "They don't know ****, I've been tinting for 25+ years." Kept going on and on blah blah blah. Not to mention that I also got scratches on the windshield glass too now. So after this I was quite upset and demanded my money back and he ends up trying to threaten me. A word of advice to all, don't go here!

Last edited by turbon50; 05-24-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 02:27 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

I just thought I'd update everyone one this situation. So Saturday I take the car back in and try to explain all the issues as stated in the previous post. Dwight tried to give an excuse for every single situation. Instead of owning up to his mistakes and just saying sorry and make things right he ends up trash talking other local tinters. When I ask if he used heat or steamed the rear glass to remove the old tint he said he did. I told him that other tinters said that if this was done correctly, it shouldn't have pulled off the defroster lines. His response to this was "who are all these guys? Young kids!". "They don't know ****, I've been tinting for 25+ years." Kept going on and on blah blah blah. Not to mention that I also got scratches on the windshield glass too now. So after this I was quite upset and demanded my money back and he ends up trying to threaten me. A word of advice to all, don't go here!
Did you charge it?
If so, dispute the charge.
Old 05-24-11, 08:19 PM
turbon50
Driver

Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Did you charge it?
If so, dispute the charge.
I tried to do this, but unfortunately they said that if the tint job was done then we can't dispute it. The only way they would allow the dispute is if the work wasn't done.
Old 05-24-11, 10:08 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

I tried to do this, but unfortunately they said that if the tint job was done then we can't dispute it. The only way they would allow the dispute is if the work wasn't done.
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
You didn't get what you paid for.

Quick Reply: How much did your tint cost?