CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Central coast drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-05, 06:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Central coast drives

Just returned from the CA central coast. Discovered some of the backroads west of the 101 north of Highway 46 are quite scenic and fun taken if taken at a gentle pace. Got this snap on Vineyard Drive heading out to Justin Winery.

This was taken north of San Simeon while heading back to see some of the elephant seals. This time of year they make the beaches close to Ragged Point here their home while giving birth to cubs/pups. This is a nice smooth road with a few twisties thrown in but due to the tourist traffic, it plods along at the turn-outs. Still a very pretty drive.

Here is a snap the wife took of the seals. The males are huge!

Last edited by RA40; 02-09-05 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 12:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

What are some of your favoriate scenic backroads drives?
Old 02-11-05, 04:06 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEAUTIFUL !!!! Why didn't you invite me man ???? Heehee....

JAY
Old 02-12-05, 12:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Your machine on some of those Paso Robles roads would be nice. The 41 heading south off the 101 to Morro Bay is a fun road. As is the 46 heading west from the 5.

I was reading through some of the motorcycle rides and Miata drives and would like to see more of the tree lined roads that sweep through vineyards and between the small towns.

There was one we took by Lake Shasta that was gorgeous back in '03 and '04. The roads in Oregon that lead to some of the old wooden covered bridges. As well, the 101 to Coos Bay. I wound up driving that one in a down pour where 1" of rain fell in 1 hour. Not fun that day.

So Cal these days just has too many houses that seeing open fields is missed. Fallbrook is nice but I haven't been through there in ages.
Old 02-12-05, 12:42 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
Your machine on some of those Paso Robles roads would be nice. The 41 heading south off the 101 to Morro Bay is a fun road. As is the 46 heading west from the 5.

I was reading through some of the motorcycle rides and Miata drives and would like to see more of the tree lined roads that sweep through vineyards and between the small towns.

There was one we took by Lake Shasta that was gorgeous back in '03 and '04. The roads in Oregon that lead to some of the old wooden covered bridges. As well, the 101 to Coos Bay. I wound up driving that one in a down pour where 1" of rain fell in 1 hour. Not fun that day.

So Cal these days just has too many houses that seeing open fields is missed. Fallbrook is nice but I haven't been through there in ages.

STOP teazin..... I keep droooooling over here !!! hahahah.... Paso Robes roads, huh ?? I better take my beast up there for a test drive !! Have you been to Mulholland canyon road ?? I jus did my photoshoot up there, it was beautiful drive course as well !!

JAY
Old 02-12-05, 10:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Have you been to Mulholland canyon road ?? I jus did my photoshoot up there, it was beautiful drive course as well !!
Haven't been up there for years...last time was like in '82 or so. Are those pics posted?

The Nor Cal drives are a whole different experience than what we have down here. Leaving Redding on the 5N, the sweeping views of the mountains lined with pine trees and fresh air.... The road around Dunsmuir is nice...just not when it is freezing and ice is a concern.

Looking forward to the EOS meet this year. (Geeze, summer isn't here and I'm already thinking of the next big meet. ) Afterwards, thinking of heading over to NAPA to drive the Silverado Trail and the 29 in the Calistoga region of Napa.

Your 2JZ would love the romp.
Old 02-12-05, 11:48 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
Haven't been up there for years...last time was like in '82 or so. Are those pics posted?

The Nor Cal drives are a whole different experience than what we have down here. Leaving Redding on the 5N, the sweeping views of the mountains lined with pine trees and fresh air.... The road around Dunsmuir is nice...just not when it is freezing and ice is a concern.

Looking forward to the EOS meet this year. (Geeze, summer isn't here and I'm already thinking of the next big meet. ) Afterwards, thinking of heading over to NAPA to drive the Silverado Trail and the 29 in the Calistoga region of Napa.

Your 2JZ would love the romp.
Hey Mike, are u heading up there for the EOS? wife and i will be there also. We are still debating which one to take.... what the heck, if i can find a driver, we might take both cars up! hopefully by then my friend will get his 3rd generation GS already so we can all cruise up there together!
Old 02-13-05, 12:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Hi Mark-

I'm figuring on going. We have a business meet in Palo Alto the last weekend of August. As long as EOS isn't within a week of that, it is a high probability we'll go. I'd hate to drive up, then come back only to drive back up again. Love driving the car but rolling on lots of miles I don't want to be reckless.

We'll have to see how scheduling works out to be, a cruise up would be fun.

3'rd gen GS...looking forward to seeing one.
Old 02-13-05, 12:59 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahah. i didn't read what you wrote until now.

those seals just look like rocks until you look closely

and nice pics by the way. was your camera on auto?
Old 02-13-05, 01:57 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

nice pictures nice car nice wheels nice overall

what wheels are those looks hot !
Old 02-15-05, 08:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

While driving down Coast Highway, they do look like oblong rocks... I dunno what the camera was set at, the Mrs. snapped those. I usually leave it in a program mode though.

I was shootiung with this one:

It does an image like this one taken at the Nov '03 meet:

Alexusoftime-thanks. Those wheels are the LSportline model iV one piece.
Old 02-17-05, 09:23 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Man... that machine (camera) looks exepensive, VERY !!! I'm not into cameras but that looks like one of those professionals use !!

Beautiful camera homie !!

JAY