CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

We Need a North meets South Meet!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 11:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well we always keep in contact with flipside and lxogood, so that's no problem

but to make such a meet happen that's definitely a lot more work than just eos. getting all the people to go is already hard, getting a place that's nice and can hold over 200 cars (i think that's achievable) without any hassles from anyone is even harder
Exactly. Finding a venue is one. Getting a permit from the city (for having a large gathering in a public place) and permission from property owners and etc is another. It's not that easy to do.
Old 04-11-05, 07:20 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can be done
but its lots of work and strees
it should be planned as a lexus only car show and meet
[edited]

the link had nothing to do with this thread, and it's causing some trouble for people to load the thread

Last edited by rominl; 04-12-05 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 08:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by guillermo
it can be done
of course it can be done. you wanna take the lead?
Old 04-11-05, 08:32 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets do it guys!!!!

Will do what I can to help!
Old 04-11-05, 09:13 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

i dont know were 2 start somebody else should take the lead
ill help
Old 04-11-05, 09:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by guillermo
it can be done
You can do the honors. I've worked on many HUGE meets including all the Carson Toyota Meets. The largest Toyota & Lexus Owners gathering on record. I also assisted w/the largest Lexus Meets in the United States currently. The NorCal End of Summer Meets v.2 & v.3. It's not easy at all. It could be done but there's alot more to it than just making a "meet". but more power to you.
Old 04-11-05, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
You can do the honors. I've worked on many HUGE meets including all the Carson Toyota Meets. The largest Toyota & Lexus Owners gathering on record. I also assisted w/the largest Lexus Meets in the United States currently. The NorCal End of Summer Meets v.2 & v.3. It's not easy at all. It could be done but there's alot more to it than just making a "meet". but more power to you.
for the record eos3 took us about 4 months or so for planning, and that's with almost 10 people, couple of us working at least 4 hours every day
Old 04-11-05, 11:43 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Henry said, our EOS meets took A LOT out of us. I think we are at the point now where most of us in NorCal just don't have the time like we once did. To give an example of how much time I put in, my cell phone usage the month before EOS v3 was 5000 minutes. Almost all talking to sponsors and the 10 + other people helping out. I probably slept an average of 4 hours MAX each day for 3 weeks too. Flipside and Ken (LXOGOOD) were instrumental in getting the SoCal group to come up.

History says that the last Carson meet we had 10+ cars come down from NorCal. For this past EOS, we had roughly 20 cars come up from SoCal, 2 from Arizona & some from San Diego. As you see, only the Hard Core people are wiling to drive long distances.

If you put NorCal and SoCal "active" members together, I'd say we are an easy 300 cars. Now based on the above statistics, getting EVERYONE to drive a moderate distance to a centralized location will be a challenge.

I am here to help on this, just as I'm sure Rominl, Neo and other core members in NorCal will as well. The key to pulling this off will be to keep things as simple as possible. We did a lot of elaborate things at EOS, but that formula won't work for this scenario.

I think everyone is on the right track. We need to find a suitable venue. Private grounds are preferred, where the owner has a lot of open space. Other than that a public area is OK, but if it gets packed with parking , then it's not the greatest.

I could elaborate, but I will just give fair warning now, that we have had meets broken up or almost broken up by private security, residents, or businesses with just 20 cars meeting in a public location. There's no way I'm willing to risk ruining the meet in a public location where there is no alternative place to go if we get kicked out. It would be a mess.

So I'll throw out a couple of locations and why:

Bakersfield- I know it's no mans land, but a lot of big car meets occur there, so I figure there must be something worthwile. I do have connections in the town so we'd have to see if there are any promising venues. From a time standpoint, B-town is as far as I think NorCal people are willing to drive and still be able to drive home the same day. Even SAC people will be a decent distance, so not just Bay Area folk would have it good.

Other notes are that Sunday's tend to be a better available day than Saturday for most people, That being the case, being able to drive home the same day and not spending motel $$ is a plus.

Monterey - Great location, lots of cool stuff to do. If we can schedule the meet during a major auto race at Laguna Seca, I can organize a car corral dedicated to Lexus reserved parking ONLY. The location is usually inside the track or on the perimeter, not out in the forest like the rest of the paying public. This costs money so that is the down side. We'd have to get solid commits and money in advance, so that's more trouble to pull it off.

Another down side is it's a bit far for SoCal folk, but if we time it with a key motorsports event, it might be worth it. I attended Hot Import Days at Laguna Seca which was held in conjunction with the SPEED Touring Car and GT championships. This was a great event, so I think people would enjoy something of this nature.

Down side is it is a bit far for SoCal and actually the city is so tight and crowded parking that I'm not sure we could pull it off very well within the city limits, instead of at Laguna Seca.

Last choice is Santa Barbara.

Great town, I stayed over one time and it looks like it has potential. I need to hear from others on this cause I don't know much more.

I think the down side is it is similar to Monterey, too far for NorCal folk and the town is small and I don't know where to find a decent venue.

Last suggestions. Everyone please look into who you know in these cities or others you are considering. We need to find someone who is an owner of a business or some large area of private land in one of these locations, who would be willing to host the meet. It doesn't have to be a car oriented place. A restaurant, go kart track, whatever will work so long as we can bring them business in return for their hospitality.

I do like the the idea of a Beginning of Summer Meet. If other people are game, then we definitely need to start working on this now.
Old 04-12-05, 12:43 AM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
As Henry said, our EOS meets took A LOT out of us. I think we are at the point now where most of us in NorCal just don't have the time like we once did. To give an example of how much time I put in, my cell phone usage the month before EOS v3 was 5000 minutes. Almost all talking to sponsors and the 10 + other people helping out. I probably slept an average of 4 hours MAX each day for 3 weeks too. Flipside and Ken (LXOGOOD) were instrumental in getting the SoCal group to come up.

History says that the last Carson meet we had 10+ cars come down from NorCal. For this past EOS, we had roughly 20 cars come up from SoCal, 2 from Arizona & some from San Diego. As you see, only the Hard Core people are wiling to drive long distances.

If you put NorCal and SoCal "active" members together, I'd say we are an easy 300 cars. Now based on the above statistics, getting EVERYONE to drive a moderate distance to a centralized location will be a challenge.

I am here to help on this, just as I'm sure Rominl, Neo and other core members in NorCal will as well. The key to pulling this off will be to keep things as simple as possible. We did a lot of elaborate things at EOS, but that formula won't work for this scenario.

I think everyone is on the right track. We need to find a suitable venue. Private grounds are preferred, where the owner has a lot of open space. Other than that a public area is OK, but if it gets packed with parking , then it's not the greatest.

I could elaborate, but I will just give fair warning now, that we have had meets broken up or almost broken up by private security, residents, or businesses with just 20 cars meeting in a public location. There's no way I'm willing to risk ruining the meet in a public location where there is no alternative place to go if we get kicked out. It would be a mess.

So I'll throw out a couple of locations and why:

Bakersfield- I know it's no mans land, but a lot of big car meets occur there, so I figure there must be something worthwile. I do have connections in the town so we'd have to see if there are any promising venues. From a time standpoint, B-town is as far as I think NorCal people are willing to drive and still be able to drive home the same day. Even SAC people will be a decent distance, so not just Bay Area folk would have it good.

Other notes are that Sunday's tend to be a better available day than Saturday for most people, That being the case, being able to drive home the same day and not spending motel $$ is a plus.

Monterey - Great location, lots of cool stuff to do. If we can schedule the meet during a major auto race at Laguna Seca, I can organize a car corral dedicated to Lexus reserved parking ONLY. The location is usually inside the track or on the perimeter, not out in the forest like the rest of the paying public. This costs money so that is the down side. We'd have to get solid commits and money in advance, so that's more trouble to pull it off.

Another down side is it's a bit far for SoCal folk, but if we time it with a key motorsports event, it might be worth it. I attended Hot Import Days at Laguna Seca which was held in conjunction with the SPEED Touring Car and GT championships. This was a great event, so I think people would enjoy something of this nature.

Down side is it is a bit far for SoCal and actually the city is so tight and crowded parking that I'm not sure we could pull it off very well within the city limits, instead of at Laguna Seca.

Last choice is Santa Barbara.

Great town, I stayed over one time and it looks like it has potential. I need to hear from others on this cause I don't know much more.

I think the down side is it is similar to Monterey, too far for NorCal folk and the town is small and I don't know where to find a decent venue.

Last suggestions. Everyone please look into who you know in these cities or others you are considering. We need to find someone who is an owner of a business or some large area of private land in one of these locations, who would be willing to host the meet. It doesn't have to be a car oriented place. A restaurant, go kart track, whatever will work so long as we can bring them business in return for their hospitality.

I do like the the idea of a Beginning of Summer Meet. If other people are game, then we definitely need to start working on this now.

bakers sounds great
santa barbara is to crowded for a venue
i was thinking some thing like pismo?
i got a few connection that could help out
Old 04-12-05, 08:28 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and the wheels are turning...sounds great guys hopefully this can happened
Old 04-12-05, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha, probably by the time i am there, the front will be full of bugs and the front wheels all dirty coz' of the brake dust
Old 04-12-05, 09:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha, probably by the time i am there, the front will be full of bugs and the front wheels all dirty coz' of the brake dust
Yeah, maybe there can be car wash clinic as part of the event.. I am sure EVERYONE will need one unless there is a member right next to the venue.
Old 04-12-05, 10:02 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

A meet at luxury motorworks on a Sunday would be good. The whole street is empty and so is the business parking lot across the street.
Old 04-12-05, 11:42 AM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

thats true
Old 04-12-05, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
Yeah, maybe there can be car wash clinic as part of the event.. I am sure EVERYONE will need one unless there is a member right next to the venue.
yeah, definitely. unless all of us put massive blue tape for the front of teh car, we are going to need major car wash. assuming we can get 30 cars to go together, that's big *** crowd

Quick Reply: We Need a North meets South Meet!