CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Pharmacy School

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 02:53 PM
vipermann1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pharmacy School

All

My wife was considering going to Pharmacy School to become a Pharmacist.
Any Pharmacists on this site?
Any words of wisdom or advise?
What classes would best help her?
And how long does it take to become a certified Pharmacist?
What is your daily work routine like.

With respect to salary ... I am hearing they make from $80K to 100K.
Is this true of Southern California Pharmacist salaries?
Old 04-22-05, 03:48 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, not a pharmasist, but my friend's bro is a Pharmasist. From what he tells me, there is a shortage of Pharmasist..especially with all the Wallgreens and CVS (or CSV?) that are being built.

Not sure if this will be the case in 7-8 years which is the number of years it will take to become one (4 years B.S. and 3-4 years of pharmacy school).

He has been out of school for about 1 year and is working at either Wallgreens or CVS in Texas. If I remember correctly, he gets paid $44/hour. Overtime is 1.5xhourly pay.

Hopes this helps some.
Old 04-23-05, 04:30 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

My wife is a Pharm D. and she attended USC Pharmacy Program. She went strainght from HS and its a 6 Years program. She finished 12 years ago (Class of 93). Its alot of money for tuition, but worth the investment.
Old 04-23-05, 05:12 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Kaiser Permanente Hospital, a Pharmacist straight out of school will make $45 an hour. So, that is somewhere in the ballpark of about $85K a year to start.

From what I'm told, there is alot of math involved in pharmacy school so I hope she can handle it. It will pay off in the end. Best of luck for her!
Old 04-23-05, 07:51 PM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of my friends are in pharmacy school in hawaii, from what she told me is that many of the pharmacies are now using robots to do most of the stuff, so now each pharmacy only needs one pharmacists instead of a couple.... so we might be short handed now, but that is changing as we speak, one of hte major pharmacies have already jumped into using these technological advances.
Old 04-24-05, 07:45 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

my girlfriend and a few of my friends are in pharmacy school. it seems to be a great profession with a few roads you can take after you graduate from pharmacy school. i don't know all the details, but you can do a residency after pharmacy school and work in a hospital, or you can simply work for a retail store like rite-aid and walgreens. you can also own your own pharmacy, work for pharmaceutical companies, etc. if i had to do it over again, i would seriously consider pharmacy school.

if your wife wants to become a pharmacist, she should get involved in the profession. work in a pharmacy or in a hospital. hang out with pharmacists see what their days are like first hand. she should not jump into it without doing this first. becoming a pharmacist is great, but like anything else, it's not for everyone.

everything else that people have said seem to be pretty accurate.