CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Exhaust Shop? LA OC (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 12:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
okay so i called speedway at gardena...i ask them whether i can just cut the secondary cats and just weld straight pipes...but they turn me down saying its illegal and they could get fine 25K. -_-;;....any other shop???
I believe the fine is actually $10,000, but still, its a lot of money. Not sure why you would want to remove the cat on an NA car anyways. You gain just a few ponies, only if the OEM cat is very restrictive. Not worth it if you ever get caught.
Old 01-29-08, 12:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

are you sure they're cats and not just resonators?

i dont know much about the 2IS but lexus in the past has had a habit of putting multiple mufflers/resonators.
Old 01-29-08, 03:19 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeap just removing the cats...i know this is not a discussion for exhausts but replacing stock cats with high flow cats worth it? how much of the difference in sound does it make as oppose to just using a straight pipe? (since worrying about the 10K fine) LOL....
Old 01-29-08, 07:47 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now all this straight piping and removing all these exhaust parts...wont that make passing a smog test impossible??? we used to have a test only station, and most cars that came in with just aftermarket intake and exhaust would not pass. unless you guys plan on putting stock parts on before the test?
Old 01-29-08, 10:12 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
now all this straight piping and removing all these exhaust parts...wont that make passing a smog test impossible??? we used to have a test only station, and most cars that came in with just aftermarket intake and exhaust would not pass. unless you guys plan on putting stock parts on before the test?
the piping doesnt matter, as long as you have 2 cats (or 3 on some cars) and a legal intake (some aftermarket are CARB exempt) then you are fine to pass. mufflers dont really affect smog results, my car does pass the visual and should pass the pipe test when i need to do it
Old 01-29-08, 04:03 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the piping doesnt matter, as long as you have 2 cats (or 3 on some cars) and a legal intake (some aftermarket are CARB exempt) then you are fine to pass. mufflers dont really affect smog results, my car does pass the visual and should pass the pipe test when i need to do it
yea if your really scared about the smog.. just to a. in home sniffer test.. let ur car run for awhile (when ur car is warmed up properly. or after u drive around for a bit).. try to smell your exhaust. (NO NOT TO GET HIGH) but see if you can actually smell a distict smell.. of so then you wont pass :] unless u gots the money.. but yea you can smell a catless car like 10-15+ car lengths away! :]
Old 01-29-08, 04:17 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

oh haha ok i see. well i know ill pass, we got lots of good friends who own shops that can pass us. but i was just wondering if it would pass, without their help lol.
Old 01-29-08, 08:57 PM
350nub
Pole Position

just replace with the OEM cats before going to smog test...its another 2 years anyway
Old 01-29-08, 11:56 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

or you can always take the stock cats off, hollow them out and put them back on , so that way you would at least pass visual. but again, you need to ge a shop to do that for you, unless you know how to do it yourself, which again is illegal
Old 01-30-08, 02:42 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hollow them out? wad do you mean??
Old 01-30-08, 11:03 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

well a good muffler shop should be able to "hollow" out your cats, meaning they go inside and get rid of all the restrictions, so it is essentially just a shell. But, that way at least it will pass visual.
Old 03-07-08, 08:23 PM
Bdiepp
Driver

Default recommendation on shop for exhaust

Hey guys,
I'm planning to get my exhaust installed and need a shop that wont charge too much. i prefer a shop in the Walnut/diamond bar area but anywhere else nearby would be find. welcome to leave input or PM. Thanks.

Last edited by Bdiepp; 03-07-08 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-07-08, 08:54 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

there's speedway muffler on nogales, just south of the 60. there's also valley muffler on the corner of valley and nogales. you should be able to spot them from valley if you're driving by.
Old 03-07-08, 09:24 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

finally getting that exhaust installed. lol
Old 03-07-08, 09:30 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

speedway does good work but .. ive noticed they are raising their prices EVEN more.. wtf..

like seriously raising it..

Quick Reply: Exhaust Shop? LA OC (The Mother thread)