CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Speeding Ticket on the 91

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-05, 10:23 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speeding Ticket on the 91

I just got pulled over near the 91 and need advice on how to fight this ticket. Cop car was parked ahead of me, and he was sitting in the drivers seat. Can he actually use a radar gun in the drivers seat? Anyways, this is how the convo goes:

CHP - Good afternoon sir, I caught u on the radar going 84. I am going to give you a ticket for speeding. license and reg. please.

Me- this is a rental car, i don't have reg, but here is my license.

CHP- goes to his car, writes up his ticket

Me - btw, can i see the radar clocking me at 84 mph

CHP - i cleared it

Me- u cleared it? i thought u were supposed to leave it on just in case someone asks to verify

CHP - well i actually didn't use the radar, i visualized ur car, and assumed it was going 84 mph

At this point I know he's full of ****, b/c i looked at my speedo and it was 75mph, and it was 1/2 mile away from the street light (the end of the 91 near vermont). To add to this, his car was at the bottom of a hill, so there was no way he can use a radar on me, can he?
Old 07-17-05, 12:24 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the ticket say he used radar? What code did he write you up for?
Old 07-17-05, 01:10 PM
Canyonero
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like he was trying to meet his monthly quota
Old 07-17-05, 01:56 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Canyonero
Seems like he was trying to meet his monthly quota
i hate to say it, but there is no monthly quota
Old 07-17-05, 05:56 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xmystikx
lies!
yeah, im positive about this one... sorry bro....
Old 07-17-05, 10:24 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Ticket has radar unit box checked, but patrol vehicle no. underlined.

The number is 7C043550, I think it's his patrol number. Won't the court take his word over mine since he is a cop?
Old 07-17-05, 11:41 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order for radar to be valid, a traffic survey has to have been done in the last 5(?) yrs. The code is CVC ######, either 5 or 6 digits. Sometimes they put codes that isn't even what you violated. Who the judge believes will also depend on what the cop will says. So you can try your version of events vs his OR you can try to dis-credit his "use of radar". Radar has weaknesses that would pt you better off then being the disgruntled motorist trying to get out of a ticket.
Old 07-17-05, 11:49 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by frebay
Ticket has radar unit box checked, but patrol vehicle no. underlined.

The number is 7C043550, I think it's his patrol number. Won't the court take his word over mine since he is a cop?
yes, they will take his word over yours. They heard every reason in the book regarding speeding tickets. Sad, but true. Just pay the fine, and go to traffic school and be done with it....
Old 07-18-05, 12:33 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Man that really sucks. Some cops are just asses and have nothing better to do. Also, 80s is like the normal flow of traffic here when the freeway isnt congested.
Old 07-18-05, 08:03 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Dude that sucks. I would probably try and fight that ticket off.
Old 07-18-05, 10:36 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad you didn't have a voice recorder !! "You lie, you lose" before the Judge that is !!!

J
Old 07-18-05, 10:58 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

If I am not mistaken, even with a voice recorder if its used without the consent of the party, it will not be introduced as an evident and will not be permissible in court. HOWEVER, it will not hurt to have it. A digital recorder is cheap and it can record up to 48 hours.

The above is besides the point. I agree with members comments as to the CHP was just ramdonly selecting his victom. I would definitely fight this ticket because it is bull **** that they are abusing their power.

Personal experience back in 2000 when I was driving down from S.F. on 101FWY returning from vacation. I was driving with two female companions and was doing 75 cruise control when i was going through the middle of no where. Cars were passing by me like crazy since the traffic was extremely light. Still, I was pull over by a CHP officer ticketed me 5 miles over the speed limit!!! Yes, I was speeding 5 miles over the speed limit. However, even the grandmother drivers were passing me during the stretch. I have to believe that An Young Asian Male driver with a fixed up SC and two girls in the car kind of pissed him off.......

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 07-18-05 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 01:32 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
I have to believe that An Young Asian Male driver with a fixed up SC and two girls in the car kind of pissed him off.......
It's pissing me off right now because my SC isn't hooked up and I don't have 2 hotties to ride with me!!! Damn you!!!
Old 07-18-05, 01:44 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I mean I have alotta respect for law enforcement, and I met alotta cool, reasonable, and respectable cops in my community. But for some reason, most of the California Highway Patrol guys seem like buncha ******.
Old 07-18-05, 02:22 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I thought I heard/read somewhere that a good percentage of CHP officers held racist beliefs. I know this is a sweeping statement but I heard this from a number of sources, even local cops I know.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket on the 91