CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

never go the cheap way

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05 | 08:48 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Default never go the cheap way

so i was driving back to pasadena 6 months ago when i felt a huge jump from my rear driverside tire. so when i exited the freeway i noticed i had a flat. no problem right break out the jack. well that was the easy part. while taking off the rim i felt something funny. but i ignored it because i could have just hit debree and it will fall off eventually. so i got the tire off and ready to throw it in my car when i noticed. darn pot holes ruined my nice rim. still no problem pissed, but no problem. so i called a quote on quote friend who helped me with my LSD install and he said he knew someone who can fix it. good stuff no more than 20 mins later i drop off the rim. now since i drift i have 3 sets of rims so no need to cry about the rim even though that set was my poon tang getter. so i waited 2 weeks just to make sure he had enough time to do what he needed. called him up and he said it was ready. so happier than a skylark i rush to get my missing piece to my poon tang getter. when i pick it up i give him 200 bucks just for making it look better. ha ha ha over priced i know (NOW). so get some new rubber and continue my chase with my nice set of rims. so my quote on quote friend told me take it easy for awhile on the rim because it was not perfect. i can understand that. so a month later i put the car to work took it to a drift event and began my endless journey to become a luxury drifter. my very first corner i spun out and that is weird since i take it some what easy the first time around. during the spin i felt the tire move, then it happened. so much smoke and people flagging me to lift. my tire flew off the car. wtf. i know my car cannot angle like that. so i looked and that was the begining of my troubles. same rim that got fixed. my friend even said its still driftable. the rim passed tech. why? well like i said 3 sets so i strap on my battle rims and continue the day. next morning i call my friend and tell him what happened. he was cool with it and said drop it off. so i raced down there like no other since its my signature rim. waited and waited and waited. he said he would call, but a month later i decide to call. well i called and he said done. . so i picked it up strapped on new rubber and took a trip to the bay area. on the way up i decided to never drift on this set again. well once again but this time on the highway i get a flat. wtf. new tire. new rim basically. not again. sure enough i burned the outter side of the tire to the threads. now i never drifted since i got the rim back so its the rim itself. called my buddy and now he is telling me too bad. wtf. so i said fix it and dropped it off. month and a half goes by and i once again have to hunt him down. he said no way in hell it can be fixed. well the funny thing is he fixed it is worst condition before. then they have the nerve to say my rim is a different type of metal that can't be fixed. should have told me in the begining. oh well i had to tell my story and let you guys know to stay away from VIP MOTORING in alhambra. nice guys cool products, but in the end they cannot produce a quality job. so now my rim is in my garage awaiting pick up from a stranger who promises to fix my rim or its free.
Old 11-10-05 | 10:03 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

cliff notes version please.. All of the sentences bunched up is hard to comprehend.
Old 11-10-05 | 10:21 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

just wanted to get the story out. work with it. not to be mean, but to say it clear enough. went a rim. had a friend to fix it. they fixed it, but not completely was told its great. went out drifted messed up again. took the rim back. friend gave excuses. said he fixed it. drove it again and to my suprise it was never fixed. got a flat told him about it and he gave me the story he should have given me to begin with. which was rim is different metal that he can't fix. my friend is a owner of a shop called VIP MOTORING in alhambra. once again nice guys, good products horrible outcomes when installed there. hope the short version helps.
Old 11-10-05 | 10:57 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

So wait a minute, you caught a flat and messed up your "poon tang getting rims", then you got it fixed by a friend and you overpaid for the repair, then you tried to drift on the wheel and the tire flew off so you got it fixed yet again, then you tried to drive a distance on the rim and got a flat, then you called your "quote on quote" friend and he said "too bad so sad" so now some mysterious stranger is going to fix it perfectly or the job is free?

...with all the money you spent to fix the damn thing and all the aggravation involved you probably could have just bought a new rim. Are you saying your "quote on quote friend" is a chump for not fixing the wheel a 3rd and 4th time?

That wheel has been through more operations than Pam Anderson...I'd trash it and buy another one. I wouldn't trust my life to a wheel that's been repaired time and time again only to continue failing.
Old 11-10-05 | 11:05 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

not calling him a chump just saying he could have let the homie know that it could not be repaired the first time. then yeah can't trust a pam anderson rim however i can't find where this rim is sold to save my life. honestly i don't think it was ever repaired the 2nd and 3rd time. from the looks it was never touched. oh well this stranger is actually replacing the lip so he says so we shall see if it works out.
Old 11-10-05 | 11:23 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

why dont you try TRU WHEEL in Hollywood

they seem to do good work on wheels
Old 11-10-05 | 12:37 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by soardrft
not calling him a chump just saying he could have let the homie know that it could not be repaired the first time. then yeah can't trust a pam anderson rim however i can't find where this rim is sold to save my life. honestly i don't think it was ever repaired the 2nd and 3rd time. from the looks it was never touched. oh well this stranger is actually replacing the lip so he says so we shall see if it works out.
Yeah, that's kinda iffy to tell you later on that the wheel can't be repaired due to some metal-related booshet after there was supposedly an attempt to fix it and pass it off as "good as new" to you. That's your life they're playing with. You could be flying down the highway and anything could happen.

Hopefully the stranger knows his stuff...otherwise good luck in the hunt for a replacement wheel
Old 11-10-05 | 12:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Ya never know what can happen if the wheel is damaged and repaired. Small stuff, usually no big deal but big kinks where welding or mahcining is involved, losing a couple .001" may be serious. At the start, it was probably fixable in good hands but by now it could be a challenge.

It is one of those things...they know it is going to be a problem now and it is a safety issue. They could have told you sincerely rather than cut you off like that. Maybe they can make good by getting you a deal on another set of wheels?
Old 11-10-05 | 01:56 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

they could make good on the deal, but at this point i have decided to take it somewhere that specializes in rim repair. also after reading these post my poo tang getters may now become my drift wheels this is a pic of my poo tang getters:

makes me mad so i had to tell everyone that i am mad my poo tang getters won't be on the car until track day.
Old 11-10-05 | 02:04 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

they could make good on the deal, but at this point i have decided to take it somewhere that specializes in rim repair. also after reading these post my poo tang getters may now become my drift wheels this is a pic of my poo tang getters:

makes me mad so i had to tell everyone that i am mad my poo tang getters won't be on the car until track day.
donde esta la foto?

where's the pic?

here you go ..helped you out a bit

Last edited by LEXISM; 11-10-05 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-10-05 | 02:14 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

i thought it showed up oh well this is a thread where you can see the rim

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184553
Old 11-10-05 | 07:34 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

just wanted to get the story out. work with it. not to be mean, but to say it clear enough. went a rim. had a friend to fix it. they fixed it, but not completely was told its great. went out drifted messed up again. took the rim back. friend gave excuses. said he fixed it. drove it again and to my suprise it was never fixed. got a flat told him about it and he gave me the story he should have given me to begin with. which was rim is different metal that he can't fix. my friend is a owner of a shop called VIP MOTORING in alhambra. once again nice guys, good products horrible outcomes when installed there. hope the short version helps.

I hope everything gets worked out.
Is his name Glen or David?