CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

2JZGTE Swap Legality - CA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 11:35 AM
HKSC300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGTE Swap Legality - CA

First off, I tried to search for this information, but could find none.

EDIT: Woops, I did find some info after all after using some different terms. My bad

I was wondering if anyone has done a 2JZ-GTE swap into an SC (or a GS300) legally, by way of referee station in California.

I've done some research into this, and found three interesting articles:

http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/46298/
Chevy V8 engine swap into a S10 Pickup - legalized in California.
Note: V8 was never offered int the S10 pickup model.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/3174/
Hearsay: I've heard some Honda guys got their B18C Integra / B20B CRV engine swaps done in a Civic legally.

And finally, the Bureau of Automotive Repair FAQ:
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/StdPage...s-Jan_1994.htm

The three main points that are clear to me are:
1) The engine has to be of the same year or newer, of the same manufacturer.
2) The engine has to be stock with all OEM emissions control equipment.
3) It passes emissions.

The one point that is vague, is this:
1) The new engine has to have been offered in the same vehicle. I.E. You can legally swap a 2JZGTE into a Toyota Supra Non-Turbo, since the GTE was offered for the Supra. You cannot, however legally swap a 2JZGTE into a SC300/GS300 (even though the base engine is the same), because the GTE was never offered for the SC300/GS300.

The reason the above point is vague is due to the first two articles above. Some people have legalized a swap with engines (same manufacturer) that were never offered for the cars they were swapped into. If a B18 Integra engine which was never offered in a Civic, can be legalized, then by the same vein the GTE into an SC should be the same example.

----------------------

In summary, I've heard many different stories: you can, and you can't.
Has anyone here who has done a GTE swap gotten it legalized by the ref station?

Sorry if this is old hat, but if there is a way to legally do this, I'm doing it. Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by HKSC300; 12-14-05 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 12:13 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt matter if the Engine was never offered in the vehicle before. As long as the same maker makes that engine and is same year or newer, you can.

If it's an OBD1 motor, then you gotta have it obd-1. If it's an OBD-2 motor, then you have to convert to obd2

My friend has a 96 Accord w/ a 97 Prelude H22a engine swap.
He can get it legalized because

1. Engine was newer than chassis by the same maker. (Honda/Acura)
2. All OEM SMOG equipment attached and passed sniffer.
3. You would need to convert the ECU for the motor in place. OBDII would need to be OBD-II (No aftermarket ECU used)

If you want to be for sure, call up your local ref that you would be taking your car to. Ask questions and see if he can give you any advice to get it passed.

But most likely he'll say, if all the OEM items are there, (stock twins, cats, charcoal canister etc.) then you can test to get it certified.

If you don't pass the first Visual, they should point out what you need to correct and go back for a retest

EDIT: and you might have to use the factory SMIC that came on the 2jz-gte. Dont put on any aftermarket BOV because i dont think it'll pass visual.

Last edited by mikal; 12-14-05 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-14-05, 12:25 PM
BigWaveSC
Lead Lap

I have delt with the ref, and he's is a cool guy
Go down to southwest collage and talk to him about it.
there nice people. they want us to do stuff like this.
Old 12-14-05, 01:04 PM
HKSC300
Driver

Thanks guys. Looks good thus far.
BigWaveSC, you have PM
Old 12-14-05, 04:02 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

hmm......I just don't see how SC300 with 1JZ gte motor or GS300 with aristo 2JZGTE motor can be "legally" swap cars !!! You're takin the "risk" !! That's all I can say to you.

According to the Highway Safety code and other Indexes, SC300 = 2JZ GE motor and GS300 = 2JZ GE motor. If you don't have that motor, Referees won't pass you....period !!

Now, I'm lookin at this in the "worst" way here. I mean, I got 2J T88 turbo in my car and honestly dont' know what to do if I ever get rolled !!!

Good luck to you !!

JAY
Old 12-14-05, 06:07 PM
HKSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by Jay
hmm......I just don't see how SC300 with 1JZ gte motor or GS300 with aristo 2JZGTE motor can be "legally" swap cars !!! You're takin the "risk" !! That's all I can say to you.

According to the Highway Safety code and other Indexes, SC300 = 2JZ GE motor and GS300 = 2JZ GE motor. If you don't have that motor, Referees won't pass you....period !!

Now, I'm lookin at this in the "worst" way here. I mean, I got 2J T88 turbo in my car and honestly dont' know what to do if I ever get rolled !!!

Good luck to you !!

JAY
Yes, I've been told the same thing as well. Well, the 1JZGTE will never be deemed legal in the US, because the engine was never offered in the US, like the SR20DET.

I've done some more research, and it seems there are more variables at play here than just the "law". Some referees may approve of a 2JZGTE swap, but others may not. It seems to be one of those "officer's judgment calls".
Further, when getting the car inspected at the ref station, there is more than one referee inspecting it; there are three. If even one of them deems it illegal, then it's illegal. I think this is the main reason why there is yet to be a definitive answer.

I'm going to call around various places and get more than one referee "opinion".
Old 12-14-05, 06:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If you modify your car, especially in the level of 2jzgte engine swap. Be prepared to face the consequences of having illegal parts. Period.

not getting the power you need? run straight pipes, busted.
want to run fmic for efficient cooling? busted.
speeding in your 2jzgte? definitely busted.

People don't swap high powered engines into their cars to maintain their legality, they want power and they're willing to take the risk for it.

I thought everybody should know this by now.
Old 12-14-05, 06:54 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jay

Good luck to you !!

JAY

Jay, it should be possible. It's just like a Honda CRX with an Integra GSR motor. There are many out there with the BAR sticker that states it's running with a b18c legally. I dont see why an SC300 with a 2jz-gte not pass if everything is hooked up correctly. All they would do is inspect it like how they would inspect a TT supra.

The older GS300 up to i would say 1998 might be elegible since the last year supra was offered in the US was a 98 right? Which means '99+ GS300 guys are out of luck in trying to pass it since the engine has to be the same or newer than when the chassie was made.

Also, JDM 2jz's doesnt have EGR correct? Which means you would need a USDM 2jz-gte
Old 12-14-05, 07:02 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
If you modify your car, especially in the level of 2jzgte engine swap. Be prepared to face the consequences of having illegal parts. Period.

not getting the power you need? run straight pipes, busted.
want to run fmic for efficient cooling? busted.
speeding in your 2jzgte? definitely busted.

People don't swap high powered engines into their cars to maintain their legality, they want power and they're willing to take the risk for it.

I thought everybody should know this by now.

I see what you're saying but check this out.

Lets say you got pulled over for and hood poped.

Which scenerio would you rather be in.

A.) Cop pops your hood. See's your swap, you show him the sticker on door jam. Every thing is cool and just writes you a ticket for lets say FMIC or Air filter mod or something.

B.) Cop pops your hood and sees your swap. You have nothing to state that it's legal. Get car impounded or swap back to oem motor.
Old 12-14-05, 07:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay

Good luck to you !!

JAY
that's what i thought too....

it's almost like saying, if i get a 01 camry and decide to put in a 06 sequoia engine, it will be legal? (assum everything is done right)

this is interesting
Old 12-15-05, 08:43 AM
HKSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
that's what i thought too....

it's almost like saying, if i get a 01 camry and decide to put in a 06 sequoia engine, it will be legal? (assum everything is done right)

this is interesting
Actually, you can't swap engines of differing emissions categories:

"You also can’t swap a heavy-duty truck V-8 (trucks over 6,000 pounds GVW) into your S-truck because HD truck engines had less stringent emissions standards than light-duty trucks, but passenger car V-8s are OK."
- Quote from the Chevy magazine
Old 12-15-05, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok so that means the criteria mikal put up is not enough then?
Old 12-15-05, 09:07 AM
HKSC300
Driver

ok so that means the criteria mikal put up is not enough then?
I believe the criteria that Mikal put up would be acceptable. B18C in a Civic, both considered passenger cars, I don't believe the emissions are any different. It starts to come into play when you have two completely different class of car: like a light pickup to a heavy duty.
Old 12-15-05, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by HKSC300
I believe the criteria that Mikal put up would be acceptable. B18C in a Civic, both considered passenger cars, I don't believe the emissions are any different. It starts to come into play when you have two completely different class of car: like a light pickup to a heavy duty.
no i was basing on this:

----

3. You would need to convert the ECU for the motor in place. OBDII would need to be OBD-II (No aftermarket ECU used)
----

i guess it should also be said it has to be in the same category?
Old 12-15-05, 09:44 AM
HKSC300
Driver

no i was basing on this:

----

----

i guess it should also be said it has to be in the same category?
Ahh, okay.

As far as my understanding goes,

1) Engine has to be of the same year or newer of the same manufacturer.
2) All OEM smog equipment present for visual inspection, and passes sniffer.
3) OBD1 ECU/equipment for pre-96 cars. OBD2 ECU/equipment for post-96 cars.
4) Engine of the same emissions category as the vehicle being swapped into.
*5) Engine must have been offered in the same chassis during the vehicle's production.

If it passes 1)-5), then it is certainly legal.

The point of contention is 5), and it's hard to get a definitive answer because some refs will OK it, some will refuse it. All it takes is for one ref to refuse it, and your whole schebang is illegal.

I've been looking for a BAR ruling on this, but there seems to have been none.

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE Swap Legality - CA