CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Best Korean food in town?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 01:10 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Best Korean food in town?

OK, I have eaten at the one in San Diego off the 8 (good), Riverside (good but bad service), San Bernardino (bad,bad service), Pomona (same as prior).
I do not expect it to taste like moms but I am curious where a few of you have found the best Korean BBQ with decent service to boot?
Thanks
Lee
Old 01-05-06, 01:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have heard that tofu house is pretty good? they have quite a few stores in LA
Old 01-05-06, 01:26 AM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

At the north-west corner of Olympic & Hoover in Korean-Town. Nice BBQ place with amazing food & service
Old 01-05-06, 03:54 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSOU
At the north-west corner of Olympic & Hoover in Korean-Town. Nice BBQ place with amazing food & service
Shik Do Rak...one of the many good places to go if you want all-you-can-eat BBQ for around $15. Only problem with that place is that the parking lot is extremely small, valeting your car is almost always mandatory.

I'd say the best BBQ restaurants are in Koreatown, LA. If you're looking for an all-you-can-eat restaurant, I reccommend Manna on Olympic and Gramercy (try to get there before 7pm, unless you don't mind waiting for a table), and the place ATSOU mentioned above.

If you want meat by the portion (which is usually better quality meat than the all-you-can-eat places), I recommend Gil Mok on James M. Wood/9th (near Westmoreland), Soot Bul Jip on 8th St. and Kenmore or Catalina, and Cho Sun Galbi on Olympic (across from Manna). FYI, Cho Sun Galbi is on the pricey side, but you'll see why if you decide to go there.
Old 01-05-06, 08:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BR1AN
Shik Do Rak...one of the many good places to go if you want all-you-can-eat BBQ for around $15. Only problem with that place is that the parking lot is extremely small, valeting your car is almost always mandatory.

I'd say the best BBQ restaurants are in Koreatown, LA. If you're looking for an all-you-can-eat restaurant, I reccommend Manna on Olympic and Gramercy (try to get there before 7pm, unless you don't mind waiting for a table), and the place ATSOU mentioned above.

If you want meat by the portion (which is usually better quality meat than the all-you-can-eat places), I recommend Gil Mok on James M. Wood/9th (near Westmoreland), Soot Bul Jip on 8th St. and Kenmore or Catalina, and Cho Sun Galbi on Olympic (across from Manna). FYI, Cho Sun Galbi is on the pricey side, but you'll see why if you decide to go there.
yeahi heard about that place too, and all you can eat is my fav coz' of how much i eat

but i also heard about the parking that's why i have never been there -- yet
Old 01-05-06, 09:28 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Manna to eat with a friend. Thank GOD I did not drive... That driveway is not too bad but during the busy hours, good luck getting in or out. After you clear the driveway you have to go straight up and that thing is a monster. I know I wouldn't be able to get into the parking lot if I drove.. Ther is parking on the street but that's tough to get in LA.

The food is good but nothing spectacular...
Old 01-05-06, 11:13 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about in the OC, specifically Garden Grove. There seems to be a Korean section of town with a number of restaurants. Are any of them good?
Old 01-05-06, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

chris, ask mark about it. there is one bbq there he brought me once and man do they have good food!
Old 01-05-06, 02:28 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I heard people talking about FOOD and I got here as fast as I could!

Soot Bull Jeep on 8th St and Catalina is my absolute favorite bbq joint. They use real mesquite chips, not typical gas grill, the flavor is unreal. But the place is a dive, don't wear anything nice cos you will stink afterwards. I usually go in the daytime too so it's not too smoky. I always order the short ribs every single time, it's at the point where I walk in they don't even give me a menu. lol
Old 01-05-06, 02:35 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Drooooollin.. you guyz MAKIN me hungry now !!!

If interested in Garden Grove, there's a place call Gum-Gang-San BBQ restaurant, off of GG blvd and closer to Brookhurst.

Gil mok jip off of J wood in LA is da s@#$t !!! Sigh... back in college yrs !!!!

J
Old 01-05-06, 04:46 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
But the place is a dive, don't wear anything nice cos you will stink afterwards. I usually go in the daytime too so it's not too smoky.
Don't you smell like BBQ after eating at any Korean BBQ, dive or not?

Originally Posted by Jay
If interested in Garden Grove, there's a place call Gum-Gang-San BBQ restaurant, off of GG blvd and closer to Brookhurst.
Thanks Jay. I am about 5 minutes from the GG/Brookhurst intersection. I'll have to check that out. It is on GG Blvd right?
Old 01-05-06, 04:56 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Neo
Don't you smell like BBQ after eating at any Korean BBQ, dive or not?
Yes, but I think you smell worse at this place probably cos building is old and the ventilation isn't that great. Also, the place is small. But I've been to a couple fancy ones where they have those smokeless grills or have patio type seating.
Old 01-05-06, 05:40 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
chris, ask mark about it. there is one bbq there he brought me once and man do they have good food!
Oh yea, Mark told me there is a good BBQ place in Garden Grove but we never got a chance to go.
Old 01-05-06, 07:32 PM
Neo
The One

Oh yea, Mark told me there is a good BBQ place in Garden Grove but we never got a chance to go.
OK. Mark, where are you?
Old 01-05-06, 07:57 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah Di Vang 2 is the best. oh wait wrong place.

Quick Reply: Best Korean food in town?