CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

OC Freeways

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 12:08 PM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OC Freeways

Not sure how true this ib but,

For those of us who like to drive fast.....

"California Highway Patrol will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy in South Orange County starting January 25, 2006. The state estimates that 22 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 3 million will go to pay California Highway Patrol officer overtime. There will be 90 California Highway Patrol officers on duty at all times patrolling the 7 freeways. They are the following: 73, 55, 133, 241, 57, 5, 605 freeways.

Now 7 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every California Highway Patrol officers is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes.

They have issued 50 brand new unmarked Crown Victoria cruisers and they are bringing all their part timers on full time. If you live or work in South Orange County you must take one of their freeways. It's up to you how fast you are doing when they do. This is a test by the CHP to raise the extra funds for the State of California. The wealthy folks of South Orange County can afford this new tax. The California State Legislators dreamed up this law to help close the budget gap or something like that. I was told KICU-FM confirmed all of this. So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets are on you."
Old 01-19-06, 12:21 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I really have nothing to say to this because if you speed, you should get caught. I'll admit that I speed and have never gotten a ticket for anything yet and I better watch myself before luck runs out.

Now imagine if this was a state-wide frenzy. The budget gap would be closed for sure, and then some!
Old 01-19-06, 01:05 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't believe it. Sounds much more like an interweb rumor to me.

We had a similar one here in Jersey last year at the beginning of summer stating there were going to be thousands of troopers on the Highways over Memorial Day weekend to catch all the speeders coming from North Jersey and NY cruising to the Jersey shore.

Meh, nothing. No extra cops.
Old 01-19-06, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I wouldn't believe it. Sounds much more like an interweb rumor to me.

We had a similar one here in Jersey last year at the beginning of summer stating there were going to be thousands of troopers on the Highways over Memorial Day weekend to catch all the speeders coming from North Jersey and NY cruising to the Jersey shore.

Meh, nothing. No extra cops.
i don't know, i forgot what time last yr but there was a period of time where they got super dupa strict on speeding as well. i happened to drive down from norcal to socal one of the weekend and it broke my all time record on chp i saw -- 11. nonetheless it was my longest trip down as well, freaking 7 hours....

i agree that yes, if you speed, you deserve a ticket. but practically, i think it's about what's justified. they do this not coz' the accident rates or dui or whatever, but coz' they want to get money for OT, and to close the budget gap? freak it, that's stupid. just layoff some cops for all i care. the way i see it, it's nothing different from a monopoly business raising prices on their products so their employees can get more money. completely retarded concept to me if that's true.
Old 01-19-06, 03:52 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like another urban myth to me... The closest KICU is a San Jose TV channel. They would be stupid to do this so publicly. If they were to do this it would definitely be under the guise of public safety, not revenue.

CVC
40800. Every traffic officer on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the provisions of Division 10 or 11 of this code shall wear a full distinctive uniform, and if the officer while so on duty uses a motor vehicle, IT MUST BE PAINTED A DISTINCTIVE COLOR specified by the commissioner.

, don't have to let up on the gas...
Old 01-19-06, 05:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

It's a hoax. It was so big it was reported on the news tonight.
Old 01-19-06, 06:41 PM
Cypren
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty funny. I take the 133 and 241 to work every morning, and I know reading that post at the top made my heart jump for a moment. I don't think I've ever gone slower than 10 over on those roads, and I'm usually running closer to 15-20. In six months of commuting that route I have yet to see a single patrol officer there, and pretty much all the traffic is going a minimum of 75 if not faster, since they tend to be pretty empty.

Sooner or later, though, I can guarantee you someone's going to decide that in fact, it wouldn't hurt to put a little "extra tax" on OC...
Old 01-19-06, 07:34 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63571