CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Got owned by C.H.P.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 05:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by guillermo
at the end its only a little speed bump
so if you pay the ticket you will need to do smog every yr? that sux...

but man, 800 bucks, good god
Old 02-13-06, 06:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Man Guillermo that sucks bro. But if you look at it on the bright side, he didn't tow your car away and impound it. It could have been worse.
Old 02-13-06, 06:31 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
so if you pay the ticket you will need to do smog every yr? that sux...

but man, 800 bucks, good god

That does sux..If that infact is the case that you will need to smog every year, then paying the fine is NOT the way to go... if you plan on staying boosted or engine swap. Finding smog shops that will pass you for a "fee" are becoming harder to find due to gov crack downs. I believe next year I will need to smog the car and will be in the same boat.

I would personally find out how much it would cost me to get my car back to stock, then back to boost. If the price for labor is near the price of the fine or slightly more, then I would go that route. If labor is going to be a huge amount of money, then I would just pay the fine and deal with the smog issues on a yearly basis.

Tough call...
Old 02-13-06, 06:43 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question. Can they force you to pop the hood? Can you refuse? The reason I ask is that if they stop you for speeding, you can refuse their search of the inside of the car unless you do something stupid and they arrest you. For example, I refused a search of the inside and although he tried to give me a serious guilt trip and tried to make me get arrested by asking questions like "Why won't you let me search your car? Do you have drugs or a weapon?" and "Are you afraid I may find something I shouldn't?" he had no choice but to let me go. Just asking.
Old 02-13-06, 06:55 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Dam that suxx Guillermo, next time just refuse to open ur hood i know a few ppl that have dun that and it worked for them, just make sure ur in a crowded are with allot of witnesses .
Old 02-13-06, 07:47 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that G !! Wonder why you're tryin to sell me that supercharger of yours !! hahah ..jk. Maybe you should solve this matter first b4 doing that motor swap as you've planned.

As far as smoggin your boosted babies, you need to have a friend who has a bone stock GS300 (I have Estaban) lol. Then take it to my homie's smog shop and simply smog "his" car and use my VIN !!! I didn't say this !!!!

Ref tickets, jus pay the fine. Just beg the judge that you're an unemployee with 4 starving kids single dad. Act like you have NO idea what you have under the hood, jus say you bought the car like that !!! REMEMBER..... act DUMB !!!!

Good luck homie.

JAY

hey call me... let's make a deal on your supercharger kit !! heehee.
Old 02-13-06, 08:33 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

C.H.P = Cant Handle Police Work = Buncha Idiots

Arnold should cut their salary and pensions and put that money back into education

Last edited by xknowonex; 02-13-06 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 09:51 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

sorry to hear this happening to you guillermo.. I remember taking to Ken at aerotect on saturday afternoon about how scary is to drive a boosted car on the streets and worrying about getting pulled over. Now this happens to you. Totally sucks.. DId you offer the CHP ofiicer a dozen of donuts? He might of let u go. Anyways good luck and hope u get things resolved quick and easy.
Old 02-13-06, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
That does sux..If that infact is the case that you will need to smog every year, then paying the fine is NOT the way to go... if you plan on staying boosted or engine swap. Finding smog shops that will pass you for a "fee" are becoming harder to find due to gov crack downs. I believe next year I will need to smog the car and will be in the same boat.

I would personally find out how much it would cost me to get my car back to stock, then back to boost. If the price for labor is near the price of the fine or slightly more, then I would go that route. If labor is going to be a huge amount of money, then I would just pay the fine and deal with the smog issues on a yearly basis.

Tough call...
yeah very true. but one thing i don't understand is what's the point of taking pictures of your engine bay? if they are sending you to ref, you are supposed to pass everything there anyway? man this really sux.... guess i am not going to touch my engine bays for sure

Originally Posted by Dan_K
I have a question. Can they force you to pop the hood? Can you refuse? The reason I ask is that if they stop you for speeding, you can refuse their search of the inside of the car unless you do something stupid and they arrest you. For example, I refused a search of the inside and although he tried to give me a serious guilt trip and tried to make me get arrested by asking questions like "Why won't you let me search your car? Do you have drugs or a weapon?" and "Are you afraid I may find something I shouldn't?" he had no choice but to let me go. Just asking.
they have every right to ask, but they can't force you. and on the other hand you can refuse to do so as well. however, they have the right to tow your car away in that case i believe? or regardless they can still send you to referee at the very least.
Old 02-14-06, 09:59 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Guillermo..sorry to hear this bad news ...well just put it back to stock since you have to take off your SC for your new set up..how hard is it to put your car back to stock? ...if you do it ?
let us know what happends
Old 02-14-06, 10:00 AM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

i think it depends on which REF ticket you got. i know theres one where you have to go to their place. the states smog place. so i think just paying the fine is better suited.
Old 02-14-06, 11:48 AM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

i can put the car back to stock pretty easy the only thing i cant remove is the crank pulley
Old 02-14-06, 12:11 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by guillermo
i can put the car back to stock pretty easy the only thing i cant remove is the crank pulley
would that be a problem ?
Old 02-14-06, 12:38 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a ticket for my exhaust and intake and they made me go to REF for testing. I didn't change a thing and went to referee and passed everything they threw at me. My car passes smog, and my exhaust is not louder than 95dbs. Exhaust is legal as long as it is under the db limit and if your car passes the smog then its should be legal. I don't know about the visual part of it though. The ref i went to didn't say anything about my intake or exhaust being illegal. My ticket was $500, but i went to court and they gave me back $490. So in the end, I spent $50, and a bunch of wasted time, but didn't have to change anything.

Tommy
Old 02-14-06, 04:14 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by Dan_K
Yes you can refuse, sometime you will get lucky and not bother with it. On the other hand, there's something called "probable cause", and this is where it gets tricky. If they see anything remotely modified, wheels, tail pipes and even a sticker, they can pop your hood. Another reason they can search your car without your permission is if you refuse.

I know it's not fair, but a judge will always side with law enforcement, if they have a valid reason for them having probable cause.

Quick Reply: Got owned by C.H.P.