CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

GOt pulled over....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 10:23 AM
Allenchang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOt pulled over....

Hey guys, i have question regarding what i could do about my first speeding ticket due to the fact that i find it unreasonable for him to even pull me over. Well heres the story, i was on my way to phoenix, arizona around 11 oclock at night on I-10, it was pitch dark and there was just a few cars around. I figured if i stayed/followed someone it would make my trip down there easier. So im following this guy in rx330 with a radar detector going about 82 mph, i see this car beginning to follow me, at the moment i thought it was prob just some guy trying to do same thing as i was, so i ignored it and continued on. After i passed around the car infront of me( the same thing the person as i was following did too) the cop turns on his lights and pulls me over. He tells me i was doing unsafe lane changes...which i wasnt, as i used my blinkers...and then pulls me out of my car telling me he can arrest me due to the fact that if you go over 85 in arizona on the i-10 it is considered a criminal offense. I told him i was simply going speed of traffic as the person in front of me was doing the same, he hesitated for a bit and then asked "honestly how fast were you going?"...i simply replied the speed of traffic which was about 82....then he says" i was pacing you the whole time" you were up to 85 at one point"...then i said "so you didnt get me on rader and your telling me i was going 85 when i had my car on cruise control at 82?"......i asked him when was the last time his speedometer was last calibrated and he told me 3-4 weeks ago....he begins to flash his flashlight in my eyes and then tells me to get my license and insurance........so i go and get it not realizing that my license was expired and my name hasnt been addded onto the new insurance card. Ofcourse, he misses both things, and writes me a damn ticket anywayz saying he paced me at 85+ in 75 mph zone, with his speedometer that hasnt been calibrated in 3-4 weeks.....WHAt the hell can i do about this?.....this is ridiculous, i think the cop just picked on me because my car was a lexus completely black on black w/ rims nd tint........Im guessing he probaly wrote me that ticket due to the fact that i was only 17 driving a better car than he was.....maybe if was actually doing 85 mph i would pay for the ticket, but i had my car on cruise control the whole time.....He pats me on my back and tells me to drive safely, and that he did me a favor...i was like wth..and walked backed to my car with a ticket in a envelope in my hand....so guys..is there anyway i can fight this in california....due to the fact that is where i live right now.....better yet..do i have any other choice then to take driving school or paying off the ticket?any help would be nice
Old 05-05-06, 10:47 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

1. You drive a modified car
2. You are 17
3. Your were going over the speed limit
4. You passed another car that was speeding as well
5. You were confrontational
6. You drive a modified car

He wrote you that ticket because you deserved to get that ticket; he was only performing the duties of his job.

75mph speed limit is still a 75mph speed limit. If you had slowed down a bit, he would have probably passed you and nabbed the RX330. If you stayed around 80-82mph he more than likely wouldnt have pulled you over.

You pay to play. With age comes wisdom.

/cliches

You might be able to request a trial by mail. As far as the points on your record, I'm not sure.

Last edited by MikeFD3S; 05-05-06 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 12:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

My buddies on the force relayed to me the moment they get that line about "calibration of the radar/speedo"...they start writing. The more confrontation motivates more detailed checks...functioning: horn, windshield wipers, lights, seat belts, tint, tire tread....ride height...
Old 05-05-06, 02:19 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your story reminded me about 7, 8 years ago (was 23/24 yrs old then) when I was driving down from SF to LA on 101 with my mod. SC300 and two girls in the car. I was doing 80 on the 75 and of course, i was pacing the car in front of me but yet still got pull over in the middle of no where. Unfortunately with our fixed up luxury car, we are getting more visibility by the cop. Although I will never find out the true, but at that time I was certain that my skin color also played a role of me being pull over by the cop in that stretch of CA coast.

Personally, I found Mike's comment might be a bit on the harsh side but "MOSTLY" true. HOWEVER, being 17 years old should have nothing to do with getting nail by any mean. Heck, a CL member who is only 21 years old but driving a LS430 because he is successful in both of his business have any valid reason to own a luxury car. And by all mean does not deserve to be discriminated against (by cop or another CL member) when it comes to "age".

Anyways, I apologize but I don't know the best way to approach your situation. I don't like to fight with the law enforcement because I don't think I will win anyways. When the officer asked me for information, I just provided them what they need without engaging much conversation and pay the fine and go to traffic school. As my case in the central CA. I just submitted my payment and sit 3 years and wait 3 years for the point to be dismissed.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 05-05-06 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 03:44 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
2. You are 17

He wrote you that ticket because you deserved to get that ticket; he was only performing the duties of his job.

75mph speed limit is still a 75mph speed limit. If you had slowed down a bit, he would have probably passed you and nabbed the RX330. If you stayed around 80-82mph he more than likely wouldnt have pulled you over.

/cliches

You might be able to request a trial by mail. As far as the points on your record, I'm not sure.
Wow definitely did a better job then I could have. Quite frankly, you deserved that ticket period. Just deal with the loss and learn not to speed or learn to deaccelerate when someone's pacing you.
Old 05-05-06, 04:15 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Allenchang
i asked him when was the last time his speedometer was last calibrated and he told me 3-4 weeks ago....he begins to flash his flashlight in my eyes and then tells me to get my license and insurance........so i go and get it not realizing that my license was expired and my name hasnt been addded onto the new insurance card. Ofcourse, he misses both things, and writes me a damn ticket anywayz saying he paced me at 85+ in 75 mph zone, with his speedometer that hasnt been calibrated in 3-4 weeks
In addition to what Mike said,

1. Be happy that he missed the license and insurance issues.
2. What does his speedo calibration have to do with it? If it was calibrated 3-4 weeks ago, it was probably more recent than yours (or mine). When was the last time yours was calibrated?

Bottom line is you were speeding. You do it. I do it. Others do it. We all take a risk when we do. It is a PITA when we are caught but it does not change the fact that we were over the limit.
Old 05-05-06, 05:20 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

While it does seem harsh, it's the reality of the situation.

Whenever a cop has to pull someone over, they are always having to size up the situation and potential threat to themselves. It subconsciously raises their stress levels. When the majority of people try to lie, or argue with them after getting pulled over, it just compounds the situation even further. Profiling is simply a reality of their day to day job. Making their job easier by cooperating right off the bat leaves you with a higher chance of being let off.

I do think age plays an important role in whether they let you go or not.

It's no secret that young male drivers have a higher tendency for reckless driving behaviour and accidents. While the way you were driving was "normal" and fairly conservative compared to say...doing 130mph on the highway...you still got caught.

Unfortunately, I still don't know about what you can do for your court/points situation. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Old 05-05-06, 10:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Since this was your first citation for speeding, when the paperwork clears, go down and pay the fees for traffic school. This will be the easiest way.... It's a learning thing, we've all been through it.
Old 05-05-06, 10:32 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

2. You are 17

It could not have been said any better....

Old 05-06-06, 12:12 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. Next up, learn NOT to be a ***** to the cop, thinking youre better than him too. Careful with that, i know cops that drive ferrari's on the weekends, and are berkeley / stanford educated.

Milk your age buddy, trust me. Act innocent and play dumb. I've probably saved a grand in tickets doing that. FYI, it still works and im young driving a 2006 C6.

It has even worked on the infamous CHP.

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 05-06-06 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-06-06, 12:13 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PoppFlyy
It could not have been said any better....

OFF topic, but did you go to SC?
Old 05-06-06, 12:43 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I always used the word "sir" with cops when I was in my twenties and I still do now. It helps if you find a way to acknowledge the fact that their lives are potentially on the line every time they make a stop or do anything else in their job.

You were speeding and you were arrogant with the officer. You deserved the ticket you got and, franlkly, I'm somewhat glad you got it. You still have the option of fighting it in court, though. That, by the way, is the place to ask about calibration of speedometers and what not.
Old 05-06-06, 12:55 AM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

NoRyce said
OFF topic, but did you go to SC?
Nay, but I've been a football fan of my Trojans since the 1st Robinson teams.
I'm a mortgage banker, and both peeps that own the company I work for are SC grads though...

Old 05-06-06, 12:16 PM
bodiby
Rookie

Never confront the cop. I have been pulled over many, many times. If you can't politely talk your way out of the ticket, accept the ticket. Don't even ask about the calibration of the speedo until your trial date. That means you plead not guilty and go to trial. They then have to prove you were going 85 (or whatever the ticket said). They say they speedo is accurate, ask for proof from a qualified speedo shop (not sure what is qualified).
Old 05-06-06, 12:28 PM
Allenchang
Driver

Default thks

hahha....in less than 24 hrs i got more than 11 replies...thks for the heads up guys...i just moved down here in california not along ago...all i can say the cops down here treat you alot different due to age and skin color....as to the speedo calib. i was told that if it was asked it ccan be written down just in case to use in court if i was to fight the ticket...either way...the main point of what i was asking is regarding what else i could do about the ticket rather than wether or not i deserved it. Either way, thks for the harsh replies...eh im only 17 its just a learning experience like you said...i respect that in every way...what i dont think i stressed enough was that i wasnt going 85+...but o well..what can you do ...i dont knoe how my post came out to present me as a ignorant person or w.e but i was respectful the sheriff in every way...and yes i did reply toward him with "sir". Honestly, i did try to play dumb, but it was cuttin close to midnight and i was tired from packing the night before to make a flight the following day..i guess stress kicked in.eh...i guess its too much to see it from my point of view...either way ..thks for the replies.oh yeh neo..hahah i guess i have too much time on my hands due to it being senior year, i did calibrate my speedo not long ago haha when i got my new rims/tires and alignment done....so does anyone know of a way to take driving school online or something...i remmeber hearing about a program u can complete online for a speeding ticket...what im confused is that i got the ticket in arizona, and i live cali...on the back of the ticket it specified that i can attend two of the following traffic schools..in ARIzona...so..am i limited to just those choices?...BTw...i just moved here from texas...cops down there are alot "easier" on kids.... again excuse me for coming off to sound as a disrespectful person but i just moved here so im still gettin use to what california has to offer...either way i guess stress+nd having him repeat that he is going to arrest me for going over 85 over and over again kinda got me aggravated...

Quick Reply: GOt pulled over....