CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

CA sales tax ... CA will collect if I purchase in OR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 09:50 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Possessing multiple drivers lisences if DEFINITELY illegal.
I dont know if its illegal or not.

I have a friend that was living in Cali all his life. Got married bought a house in NV, a year later got sick of NV and bought a new house in TX.

So he has TX, NV, and CA drivers license. I do not think no one in their right mind would sitation him or arrest him for having multiple drivers licenses.

Plus when I was in college lots of people that were out of state students were getting CA drivers licenses.

I highly doubt its illegal.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 05-19-06 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 10:17 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I dont know if its illegal or not.

I have a friend that was living in Cali all his life. Got married bought a house in NV, a year later got sick of NV and bought a new house in TX.

So he has TX, NV, and CA drivers license. I do not think no one in their right mind would sitation him or arrest him for having multiple drivers licenses.

Plus when I was in college lots of people that were out of state students were getting CA drivers licenses.

I highly doubt its illegal.
You seem to have a lot of less that upstanding friends.

It's like having multiple OFFICIAL ID's, i.e. you cannot be a resident of more than one state, therefor you cannot legally have a drivers license fro more than one state at a time (just like you cannot have multiple passports). The DMV ALWAYS asks when applying for a license if you already have a license from another state, and requires you to surrender the old one. From the department of motor vehicle act...

No driver's license may be issued to a person who has a driver's license issued by any other state unless the person first surrenders the driver's license issued by the other state, which license shall be returned to the issuing state.
Old 05-19-06, 10:28 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
You really can't fudge the numbers unless the dealer is in on it. I just paid the taxes on my car that I got in CO and they require the paperwork from the dealer or lien holder, the vehical origination title, and some other stuff. I suppose if you pay cash, you might get away with it somehow.

One interesting story I heard on the board - someone from CA has family living in a state with no sales tax (WA I think) bought and registered the car in that state (at the family members house) drove it with the out of state plates until the some amount of time passed, then registered with CA and did not have to pay CA taxes. I am not sure if it is true or not, but it is an interesting idea...
im not totally sure if i can help you here but what my dad does with every car hes bought (through a private party like someone on ebay), he'll pay for the car but make the previous owner say he paid less for it, he did this with his M3, he paid 45g for it but made the guy sign that he paid 35g so he'd could pay less tax to regester it, but he had to have a notary watch them sign it. otherwise they will look up the value and make you pay what it says
Old 05-22-06, 08:12 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Wow, what are the odds... a dishonest lawyer.
haha exactly!
Old 05-22-06, 10:26 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

While there will be ways to skirt around these issues, I feel the potential risk and headaches if caught are not worth it. Then you have to look over your shoulder wondering if you covered it up. Buy it right.
Old 05-22-06, 11:03 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
While there will be ways to skirt around these issues, I feel the potential risk and headaches if caught are not worth it. Then you have to look over your shoulder wondering if you covered it up. Buy it right.
Mike, we can thank all our Democrats in California for those taxes.
Old 05-22-06, 01:51 PM
FLIPPU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I hate the fact that if I buy a car (Specially used car) that I have to pay TAXES again even though the person that originally bought it ALREADY paid taxes on it...

In any case, if you buy a car from a "DEALER"..be it here in CALI or OUT OF SATE, you WILL pay taxes to CA DMV for the amount of sale.

I bought my LS430 in IL and drove it back...the Dealer in IL charged me taxes @ 6.25%..and a TEMP TAG for 7 DAYS...that means, I had to get out of that state within 7 DAYS or the tag is noooo good...I got home and I had 30 DAYS to SMOG, INSURE, and provide Emmision Stickers (which is already under the hood on some cars) for the DMV so they can CHECK and RECORD the car in CALI..then I paid the additional 2% Taxes since it's 8.25% here.

When I bought my other car from a private party here in SoCal..we agreed that he will input a different "selling price" on the bill of sale so I can potentially save on taxes...The price will still need to be within the ballpark value of the car because the DMV employee will "sometimes" check or want to SEE the vehicle in person...Although "MY" DMV person said...."you paid THIS much for this car?? Thats a lot of taxes!"..I replied, should I have written down a smaller amount??..She then replied..."I don't really care, it's too bad you already wrote it down on the transcript"...

Do it right...do it Legal....or KARMA comes back 10FOLD!

Mike
Old 05-23-06, 10:55 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

As 1SILVERGS3 just posted, it's experiences like this that make it easier to find one in-state when possible.

I paid $2,577 in taxes for our LS4 at the time. It hurt but I reasoned the ease of the transaction was worth it and the $$ also support the city.

Last edited by RA40; 05-23-06 at 11:12 AM.