CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Polling all SoCal IS Tinters...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 11:51 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 17% front and 5% rear non fade titanium tint. Here are a few pics.

Last edited by Wald GS; 06-06-06 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:21 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wleong
For the front it is a gray area, some say you cannot have any tint, but you can get away with 35% or to be safe 50%.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
i had 5% in the front, 25% in the rear for 9 years on another car. never had a problem until january, when i was pulled over for tint and nothing else. the officer said all tint on the front windows was illegal, and has been so for the last 15 years. :shrug:

all that to say that more than likely you'll be safe, you just have to know the potential to be pulled over and ticketed exists.
Old 06-11-06, 03:52 PM
ocdavid
Rookie

Also, there is a subdivision for that CA code. It is 26708.2 as quoted below. It can be seen here as well: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708_2.htm

CA Vehicle Code

Sun Screening Devices: Requirements

26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.

(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the inner or outer surface.
Old 06-11-06, 05:35 PM
uncle_el
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ocdavid
Also, there is a subdivision for that CA code. It is 26708.2 as quoted below. It can be seen here as well: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708_2.htm

CA Vehicle Code

Sun Screening Devices: Requirements

26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.

(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the inner or outer surface.
when i was pulled over, and i asked the officer to use a lightmeter to determine the percentage of reflective quality/tint, he stated that it was illegal period to have tint. of course he's not a lawyer, and when he threatened me with the misdemeanor fine of $135, i left it alone. i recently went to court for the ticket (as the car that was ticketed in was totalled in a rear end collision), and the judge didn't ask forany proof/evidence (i simply told her the car had been totalled), and i paid the $10 fine.

all this to say, i suppose if the court is busy, you could just tell them it's fixed and perhaps they'll believe you. :shrug:

at the very least, there seems to be some ambiguity to the tint law when read, as it states what's illegal, and then lists the exceptions/parameters in subsections. perhaps a member with a legal background could shed some light on this law as stated.
Old 06-11-06, 10:40 PM
wleong
Driver School Candidate

That is why a number of late model luxury cars have retractable shades for the rear and back windows and I am starting to seeing them on the driver and passanger windows as well.
Old 06-12-06, 01:58 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

I have 5% tint all around and 35% on the windsheild. I've been pulled over numerous times, but never for tint.
Old 06-14-06, 04:15 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

That 35% figure is for "shades" or other removable types of devices. For actual applied window film, the CA law (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm) is 88% for the fronts, and whatever you want on the rears. However, a doctor's note ("Medical exemption" ) allows for tint or other shading material to be used on the front side doors if:

1. It allows at least 35% of the light pass-through
2. It is readily removable
3. It cannot be used at night

Hope this helps!

Javier