CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone ever file a claim agains the city for damage to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06 | 11:19 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that uneven piece of road will destroy your shocks alignment and wheels. It's as severe as two of those iron construction grates stacked on top of each other. It's kind of fun watching other cars go over it commuting home from work every day.
Old 06-24-06 | 01:22 AM
Blk96Supra
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
It's kind of fun watching other cars go over it commuting home from work every day.

oohhh so true.
Old 06-24-06 | 10:04 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I highly suggest having a sticky thread titled "Watch out for this area when driving" and we can all post areas that are unsafe.
Old 06-24-06 | 04:44 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

If you see a pot hole report it ASAP. Here is why.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/consume...les_how_t.html

July 18, 2005
Pot holes: how to get them fixed pronto
Dennis Rockstroh, 06:15 AM in Heads Up

There are still plenty of potholes out there on the roads. I was at a tire store the other day and the boss told me that a certain pothole up the road had brought him four customers in an hour. Potholes can damage tires and throw the wheels out of alignment. But for a variety of reasons local jurisdictions have been slow to fix some. So I will let you in on a secret. Figure out in whose jurisdiction the pothole lurks and call that agency. You might be surprised to see someone there in a day or so to fix it. Here's why. Under California law, local jurisdictions are generally not liable for damage to your car unless someone had previously reported the pothole. That's why they tend to move quickly once someone has reported it.
Old 06-24-06 | 06:02 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You're at a disadvantage, according to the precedent of English Common Law. The Government has no legal obligation to assist, only an obligation not to do anything detrimental. (As taught in an emergency management course I took years ago).

Thus, they have no legal obligation to fix potholes, but would have an obligation if they dug the hole.
Old 06-24-06 | 06:11 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

That's exactly what they told me when they denied my claim!

I should've gotten a friend to report before I filed. lol

Roadside assistance guy told me he had come to aid 3 other people before me for the same exact pothole too. Stupid city of Los Angeles. Argh.

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
If you see a pot hole report it ASAP. Here is why.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/consume...les_how_t.html

July 18, 2005
Pot holes: how to get them fixed pronto
Dennis Rockstroh, 06:15 AM in Heads Up

There are still plenty of potholes out there on the roads. I was at a tire store the other day and the boss told me that a certain pothole up the road had brought him four customers in an hour. Potholes can damage tires and throw the wheels out of alignment. But for a variety of reasons local jurisdictions have been slow to fix some. So I will let you in on a secret. Figure out in whose jurisdiction the pothole lurks and call that agency. You might be surprised to see someone there in a day or so to fix it. Here's why. Under California law, local jurisdictions are generally not liable for damage to your car unless someone had previously reported the pothole. That's why they tend to move quickly once someone has reported it.
Old 06-24-06 | 07:10 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bob2200
You're at a disadvantage, according to the precedent of English Common Law. The Government has no legal obligation to assist, only an obligation not to do anything detrimental. (As taught in an emergency management course I took years ago).

Thus, they have no legal obligation to fix potholes, but would have an obligation if they dug the hole.
Yes, fighting the government is a costly endeavor. I bet you thought paying income tax as it is now was legal too. NOT. Education of the citizenry is essential if we are to preserve our God given rights as outlined in the Constitution of these beloved united States of America. The government has limitless recourses to manipulate the laws and influence the judges making the decisions that will affects our lives and our families live for generations to come. If we don't fight to protect our rights, who will?

http://givemeliberty.org/

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-06 | 12:25 AM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

That form they made LexAristo fill out was killer enough to make anyone decide not to file anymore.. plus finding city hall itself made us circle around the plaza a few times... dam Diamond Bar!
Old 06-25-06 | 04:43 PM
1wickedgs
Driver

Originally Posted by LexAristo
Have any of you guys filed a claim for damage caused by unfinished/unsafe streets? IE. Bent rips, ruined your front lip, popped your tire?

thanks alot.
Yes I filed 2 claims they told me the dates I reported was after they had repaired it from there first report so they are not responsible they did their job and fill it when it was first reported told me to take them too small claims courrt but I got the store I got them from to replace them but you can dail 311 they will send you a claim form. GOODLUCK

Last edited by 1wickedgs; 06-25-06 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-26-06 | 03:24 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corkycal
this is good info. i didn't know you can file a claim against the city.
Yep, I've filed 2 claims in the past and in both cases I was compensated adequately by the city. The first time was to the tune of almost 3 grand, and the 2nd claim netted me a little over $600. Both times the city was completely at fault as my car was parked in each instance of them damaging them. The first was my 240 getting sideswiped by some damn tree trimmers and the 2nd time was some idiot trash truck driver dropping a trash can from like 10 feet in the air with the motorized arm and the thing bounces up off the ground and hits my fender.

Like others have said, it took a while but I finally did get paid...like 6-8 months after the fact.
Old 06-26-06 | 03:28 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Yep, I've filed 2 claims in the past and in both cases I was compensated adequately by the city. The first time was to the tune of almost 3 grand, and the 2nd claim netted me a little over $600. Both times the city was completely at fault as my car was parked in each instance of them damaging them. The first was my 240 getting sideswiped by some damn tree trimmers and the 2nd time was some idiot trash truck driver dropping a trash can from like 10 feet in the air with the motorized arm and the thing bounces up off the ground and hits my fender.

Like others have said, it took a while but I finally did get paid...like 6-8 months after the fact.

How many follow ups per month? thanks
Old 06-26-06 | 04:48 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, I was just there last week....Holy crap, that place was horrible, unforunately I did not escape peacefully, I had to hit a very bone jarring pothole making a left, and sent my IS over to the right by a feet, thankfully, My car is stock. But the pain I felt.

Hope you get it solved. Very good info in this thread.
Old 06-27-06 | 10:43 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexAristo
How many follow ups per month? thanks
I was calling them every single Monday bro...without fail. I had it calendared here at the office. My 240 was so messed up I wanted to kill someone. The SC wasn't that bad, but still...it was pure negligence and they knew it.