CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Newport Lexus Visit part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 10:40 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newport Lexus Visit part II

Well, finally took the initiative and had my first service done at Newport Lexus yesterday. For people who knows me, I have always taken my Lexus to dealership for service since my first Lexus back in 97' (all at Longo). However, since the service reputation has gone south quite a bit and my consultant changed his address from Longo to Newport I decided to give it a shot at this 80 Million dollar facility.

Although the personal relationship and friendly experience continue in good term, the cost of the service definitely did not. I am not going to publically disclose the amount I just paid for a regular 80K miles service on my GS. However, do expect to pay PREMIUM for ANY KIND of services done at Newport. My service consultant also told me that indeed it is more expensive at Newport Lexus (though, I wish he would have told me earlier so at least I can call around and compare).

As much as I like to have car service at the dealership for various reasons, Newport is definitely not going to be the service destination for me in the future. I guess I will just need to drive to Keyes and pay Ed a visit!
Old 09-14-06, 12:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well we get our servicing done at Glendale...waited too long at Longo.

As for Newport, I want to visit but thx for the information, apparently the 'most expensive dealership in the US' has to earn something back somewhere! And the service is expensive as a result!

Did they at least have a good lounge?
Old 09-14-06, 12:50 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

it's pretty nice, but it feels kinda empty. You have to pay for all the drinks, id rather go to westminster cause it's next to autobacs and free sandwiches and drinks YEA!
Old 09-14-06, 01:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Mark-

I find out when the food arrives and oink some compensation. Did they hand wash it or did you have the "DO NOT WASH" sign?
Old 09-14-06, 02:34 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
Mark-

I find out when the food arrives and oink some compensation. Did they hand wash it or did you have the "DO NOT WASH" sign?
Mike, I printed a "NO CAR WASH" sign and placed it on the dash. The car wash machine is not ready yet. Regardless, I wouldn't have them wash my car but the car went in clean as hell (washed it the night before) but came out dirty because of the construction and quite a few grease hand/finger prints on the door area.

Originally Posted by enigma888
Well we get our servicing done at Glendale...waited too long at Longo.

As for Newport, I want to visit but thx for the information, apparently the 'most expensive dealership in the US' has to earn something back somewhere! And the service is expensive as a result!

Did they at least have a good lounge?
I did not know if the drink cost any money and I did not go to the lounge area since i was on the run for work. The lounge area is big and luxurous as I mentioned on the other thread.

Here is my .02 tho. If I am not mistaken, dealership makes lots of money (if not more) from the service department vs. actual profit from selling the car. I think for a concious individual he or she will have difficulties justify him or herself to pay more than what it actually cost to have the same job done somewhere else. In particularly in So. Cal. there are so many Lexus dealerships for comparsion and each is not far from one or the other.

Of course, it is locating in one of the richest neighborhood (newport beach/irvine) in the U.S. and therefore, they are marketing to that specific demographic area. However, on the other hand most of those "targeted" population may not necessary owns a Lexus as one of the article on the prior issue of Orange County Business still shown more MB and BMW owners in this specific area.

Well I did suspect the most expensive dealership in america will come at the expense of higher service cost (and maybe vehicle cost as well). Well, I personally experience first hand and just want to share this information.
Old 09-14-06, 03:06 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know location of dealer changes how much we pay for the services???

May be they can charge us more for the labor.... But, I thought all Lexus dealers have fixed price for all the services?? No??
Old 09-14-06, 03:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The basic labor rate is relatively consistent, the prices for parts vary and some dealers have package rates for combined services. One can save $$ by making a few extra phone calls.

Like the Type IV tranny fluid. Toyota and Lexus dealers vary from $4.79 to $9.95. It's crazy to think why it is marked up. Even from the same dealer I've paid different prices for consumeables (gaskets...) one month to the next. If you know the parts guy sometimes they will cut a 5-10% discount.

I've been able to negotiate some repair rates at the Toyota dealer depending what it was.
Old 09-14-06, 04:16 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hsk73

May be they can charge us more for the labor.... But, I thought all Lexus dealers have fixed price for all the services?? No??
Unfortunately no.... here is the shocking differences:

For 80K service with Mobile 1 oil at Longo is $135 (before AAA discount - 10%)

The very same service at Newport is a whopping 77% MORE! I will let you guys do the math.

Of course, I got a pretty good discount because of the relationship but if factor in the additional AAA discount which I would have gotten from Longo I still end up paid much more.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 09-14-06 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 09:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by megadeth
it's pretty nice, but it feels kinda empty. You have to pay for all the drinks, id rather go to westminster cause it's next to autobacs and free sandwiches and drinks YEA!
you have to pay for your drinks? if so, that's low man.... all other dealerships i go to, all drinks are free.... always......

absolutely not, dealerships all charge whatever they want. whether one pays it or not that's another story
Old 09-15-06, 12:03 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Some dealers skip a few of the "recommended" services, including a unnamed large dealership in SoCal. That has a large part in price variations. For example, I ask my current dealer to skip tire rotation and topping off of fluids every other service visit since my car is still fairly new and I don't drive much anymore. You can ask what all it is they are doing to your car and tell them do this, but don't do that. fyi
Old 09-15-06, 10:13 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

AAA discount??
I'm a member! I didn't know I could get a discount!!??

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
Of course, I got a pretty good discount because of the relationship but if factor in the additional AAA discount which I would have gotten from Longo I still end up paid much more.
Old 09-15-06, 10:18 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Liz, one quick question tho. When you tell the service advisor not to perform some required items on the "recommended" list. Aren't they supposed to reduce the price accordingly? The reason I asked is because I recently service my Sienna at Toyota dealership and I asked the list of things they will do and changing air filter being one of them. I told them don't do that because they are charging $40 for it which I can easily do that myself (not saying I can't do oil change, but with my back condition I would prefer to pay for someone else to do the job). Of course, the dealership take it off and reduce the price accordingly.

Now, as I was doing the service this time. I also told them do not change my Air filter (Blitz, reuseable) and don't rotate tires (stagger). However, the price stays the same..... go figure.....
Old 09-15-06, 10:19 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

AAA discount??
I'm a member! I didn't know I could get a discount!!??
at Longo you will get 10%, not at Newport tho
Old 09-15-06, 11:16 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
Now, as I was doing the service this time. I also told them do not change my Air filter (Blitz, reuseable) and don't rotate tires (stagger). However, the price stays the same..... go figure.....
Sounds like Newport is the place to NOT go. Thanks for being the guinea pig, Mark.
Old 09-15-06, 11:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

My experience with Toyota dealers is that they will reduce the prices accordingly. There have been situations where it is a package deal and the price is set in the pooter. Doing an ala carte service is more, so in those times they suggest to stick with the package service. They will omit those items per your request but no price reduction. You may have to sign off the refused services.

A tough situation.

Quick Reply: Newport Lexus Visit part II