CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Fine dining (SoCal) - for the ballers/players...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 09:13 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine dining (SoCal) - for the ballers/players...

Just thought I would start a thread for you big baller or players out there. A thread, where you can post restaurant reviews that would be helpful for a date or special occassion. A thread to help you impress...

I've been to Mastros Steakhouse (Beverly Hills location). And all I have to say is...BONE IN FILET!!! I've had the pepper rib eye, but the bone in filet is where it is at!

With that said, I will be in Costa Mesa in 2 weeks. Figured while I'm out in that area, I would consider going to Mastros Ocean Club (sister restaurant). http://www.mastrosoceanclub.com/ Anyone have feedback on this establishment? Well,...anyone that has been to BOTH Mastros and Ocean Club that can give me feedback (on Ocean Club)? The menu is pretty similar to Mastros, w/ a bit more seafood.
Old 10-10-06, 10:38 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Being on PCH/Newport Coast is awesome, but the food hasn't been as good at the Ocean Club. They don't have the bone in filet (as you said) at the Ocean Club which is best thing on the menu IMO.

If you want fish, then the Ocean Club might be okay, but I don't really care for the way they reccommend it prepared. It's just too boring. I would suggest getting most fish blackened. That being said, the sides just haven't seemed to be as good at the OC and they don't have the gnocci there either.

I've been to both 3-4 times and here's what I order...

Steak House (SH) Ocean Club (OC) Both (B)

Appetizer:
Shrimp Cocktain (SH)
Crab Cocktail (OC)
Crab Cakes (B) I'm not a big fan, but for those who are, they are great.

Salad:
1/2 Wedge, usually split as well (B)

Soup:
Lobster Bisque (B) Too rich for my taste, but off the hook and the bowl is huge

Entree:
Bone in Filet

Sides:
Gorganzola Mac & Cheese
Sauteed Spinach (not serving right now)
Sauteed Snap Peas
Crab Ngocci
(Pretty much all of the sides are huge and taste great.)

Dessert:
Warm Butter Cake
Blood Orange Sorbet
Creme Brulee
Old 10-10-06, 11:08 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're in the OC, there's a Morton's in Costa Mesa, the obligatory Ruths Chris near John Wayne airport...

If you want a great dinner with terrific atmosphere, I'd recommend the Salt Creek Grille in Dana Point/Monarch Beach. It's right at the corner of PCH and Crown Valley Parkway. Good wine selection, interesting menu, cool craftsman architecture, decent prices. One of my favorite places!

Ti Amo is good for Italian, just north on PCH a little. Where Salt Creek is fairly casual, Ti Amo is a bit more upscale. I'll see if I can think of a few others.
Old 10-10-06, 11:14 AM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

Damn you guys are ballers!! im a baller on a budget. I take my dates to hometown buffet! LOL
Old 10-10-06, 01:15 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turner's of New Zealand!!!

In Costa Mesa between the Performing Arts Center and South Coast Plaza.

Great slabs of meat from New Zealand farms, and the best New Zealand wine list that I have ever seen in California. Highly recommended!

Here is their website...

I suggest getting the Rack of Lamb ($42) or the Venison Chops ($48). Well worth it, especially with a glass of Pinotage. MMMM!!!
Old 10-11-06, 08:40 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Ruth Chris is good, though I prefer Mastro's or Flemming's. The atmosphere at Morton's (in Costa Mesa at least) leaves something to be desired and it is more expensive than Ruth's or Flemming's. Turner's has phenominal food. The quality of the meat is incredible, the atmosphere is nice, but doesn't have the total experience that Mastro's has. But definitely a winner for a low key evening.

I'll have to check out Salt Creek.

On a budget? Nothing wrong with the Outback Special.
Old 10-11-06, 08:56 PM
cocopops
Pole Position

There is a nice restaurant on top of a hill in Orange (I think the name is Orange Hill) URL is http://www.theorangehillrestaurant.com/. Nice nite view. Could be chilly at night so dress up with a jacket or windblocker. We came in a group of 12 people the other day (avg around 25-40 bucks each person depending on what you order) Try not eating at this establishment often. I usually only go once or twice a year.
Old 10-11-06, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am definitely writing notes here. we are probably going to have a little celebration, we can use some nice restaurant
Old 10-11-06, 10:30 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i like roys... it's a euro-asian fusion type cooking.
http://www.roysrestaurant.com
Old 10-12-06, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyboi
I would suggest the 4 seasons hotel for prime rib!

as well as Orange Hills Restaurants. They have great filet mignon a full size bar and fine cigars..... but being the person I am, I ordered a bottle of Remy Martin XO, which cost about 3 bills. It also has a great view overlooking the city.

For chinese food, a place out in Monterey Park called Capital Seafood is good! nice looking place too!

Or if you're a balla on a budget, you could go to Garden Cafe in Rowland Heights. Fillet mignon, chicken, lamb chop, pork chop, side of veggies and mash potatoes with your choice of rice or pasta for $11.99 .... and they are open until 1 or 2 AM, open until 4 AM on saturdays.
plus theres alot of imports out there too.... (possible meet?)
garden cafe has another branch in monterey park / alhambra as well

although i go there pretty often and think the food is good for the money, i would never put them anywhere close to top notch food unfortunately
Old 10-12-06, 08:47 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
I guess it all depends what you are looking for. I had dinner a week or so ago at Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills and it was amazing... expensive, but IMHO well worth it.

Also, we had cocktails just across the street at "The Lodge" and their menu looked really good. Kind of a cool looking place, quiet dining room. I thought the bar was cool, for "bar snacks" they had full on strips of bacon in glasses, beats peanuts!
Matsuhisa... mmmmmmmm..... Went on a Thursday night once and wow! I couldn't even get a table. Tried greasing the host $100 and ended up going to Katana's on Sunset. (Matsuhisa host basically said it was impossible...)

Katana's told me it was a 2 hour wait. Greased the host $50, and a table was mysteriously carried out of the back and set right at the top of the patio stair-case looking over Sunset! Amazing what money CAN'T get you at Matsuhisa...
Old 10-12-06, 09:38 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

http://www.geoffreysmalibu.com/

One of my FAV !!!! Small, exclusive and elegant !! Reservation MUST !!

Bring your Ferrari ... jus kidding.

J
Old 10-12-06, 10:40 AM
yuji's_gs_
Driver

If youre going to be staying in Costa Mesa ... and if youre in the mood for Japanese, check out ZIPANGu. It's in the "LAB", by South Coast Plaza. or you can eat @ Flemings, on PCH and then head up to Club Vegas on Newport Avenue for drinks and ... well you know

Yuji
Old 10-12-06, 11:17 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay
http://www.geoffreysmalibu.com/

One of my FAV !!!! Small, exclusive and elegant !! Reservation MUST !!

Bring your Ferrari ... jus kidding.

J
Holy cow.. the menu made me drool!

I can't stress enough though, try using citysearch.com. You find some great places and they give fairly good info/reviews about the restaurants.
Old 10-12-06, 11:48 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

One of our favs is a French restaurant called Pascal's, south of the airport located in a small shopping plaza. A mom/pop kinda place. Top flight wine list and a well balanced taste across the menu...especially the duck dishes. We've been dining there for about 9 years and it's consistent. Usual dinner rate will get you one bill easily, that's with a glass wine, top end entree and a dessert.

http://www.pascalnewportbeach.com/

The epicerie across from the restaurant has many casual foods and also takeout preperations like smaller samplings of their dinner menu. Fresh fish, venison, lamb...for about $12 each.

Quick Reply: Fine dining (SoCal) - for the ballers/players...